Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

WG Scouting Profile #1: Hakeem Butler

Alright, so I figured I'd try something new, and I'd go through and look at tape of draft prospects, post one of their game tapes in here, and review their play. First on my list is one of my favorite prospects, Hakeem Butler. Lets start with the tape:

This game is Iowa State vs Texas, in which he had 6 catches for 99 yards. Keep in mind, this is a full game tape and not just plays Butler was involved in. Here goes:

Pros:

- Butler consistently found himself open within 2-3 seconds of the snap. This is a huge bonus in the NFL and will really go a long way for smart 

QBs looking to make quick passes.

- Even through horrible QB play, both from taking to long to make progressions and just holding on to the ball way to long trying to create, Butler was able to consistently box out defenders on late throws and catch the ball.

- Butler showed a lot of fluidity on one of the receptions, in which he flipped his hips smoothly to catch the ball on the sideline while not breaking stride.

- On his first reception, Butler showed the ability to stop on a dime and also come back into the ball for the catch. A lot of receivers have one of these skills, but few have both, which leads to a lot of easier pass breakups from the cornerback.

- Butler also showed his ability to win contested catches, plucking the ball from over the head of the cornerback who clearly had position.

- We also notice Butler's amazing range, as he has a few catches in which he seemingly flies to the side a few yards, extending his entire body into a position to catch the ball.

Cons:

- Butler had a massive concentration drop on one of his targets. While he was extended a lot to catch it, he still had little resistance from the defender who was behind him and couldn't finish pulling the ball into his body. This can be coached, however.

- Butler also showed little by the way of run blocking. In the one play in which he actually drove the cornerback back a few yards, he let up before the whistle, forcing the running back to make a cut around him without an option of which direction to cut. Again, though, this is coachable.

Overall, this tape really shows Butler as being a talented receiver with WR1 potential. If he was given a QB who can get through progressions smoothly and not be afraid to throw into windows, he could easily be a top flight wideout in the league. He shows a lot of intangibles such as a massive height and wingspan, and all the tape I've watched reminds me of a lesser version of Calvin Johnson, though not by much. 

I would love Butler on the Colts offense for a second round pick. He has so much skills that are unteachable, and everything I can find that he struggles with is fixable. He could easily come in and in a few years give the Colts two WR1 level talents between him and Hilton. What do you all think?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think this year's WR are criminally underrated. Butler being a good part of that. I think him, Metcalf and M. Brown are going to be really good to stars. Boykin and AJ Brown will bring a steady consistency. Some others with high ceilings and lower floors.