Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post-Combine Mock

Here’s my thoughts immediately following the combine:

FA

1) Tyrell Williams, WR, Chargers.  Here’s our second “Dog”. 

2) Steven Nelson, CB, Chiefs.  Obviously working the Ballard connection.  Going veteran at CB with Nelson and Desir.

3) Rodney Gunter, DT, Cardinals.  Played a lot of 5-technique at Arizona, where he picked up 4.5 sacks last year.  He can take some of the NT reps we’re losing with Hunt and Woods leaving.

Inside FAs

·       All restricted FAs come back (Ward, etc.).

·       Mark Glowinski.  Already done.

·       Pierre Desir.  Played well, and we get a veteran, steady CB corps.

·       Adam Vinitieri.  Done.

·       Clayton Geathers. We need his veteran leadership in the secondary.  No other leaders back there.

Draft

1) Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame.  I want to get cute with this pick, as I think there are really good consolation prizes at DT, like Khalen Saunders as early as the #59 pick.  However, Tillery is the perfect skill set for that NT position, and we have to replace the reps Hunt and Woods gave us last season.  Tillery can be a real disruptor, and he seems to have the same kind of quirky, weird personality that former Irish teammate Matthias Farley has.  Should fit well in the locker room – I don’t buy the off-field concerns.

2) Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina.  Senior Bowl riser.  This is the perfect slot guy for the Colts’ offense.  Great route-runner, good hands, and excels at YAC.  Built like a running back.  It’d be a shame if we couldn’t find a way to work him into our draft – possibly the only guy I think that about at this point in time.  Hopefully our 3rd “Dog”.

2) Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan.  I’ve had us going DE in the first for a while, but the combine convinced me that no one will be there for us at #25.  Bosa, Sweat, Ferrell, Burns, Gary – they’ll all be gone.  I loved Omenihu, but he had a disastrous combine that convinced me that he lacks the athleticism I thought he had.  Polite is probably off my board, with growing off-field concerns.  I really don’t like many developmental DEs later in the draft.  Winovich had some really good quickness figures at the Combine, and he ran a 4.59 forty.  He also is supposed to have some top-tier leadership qualities.  If he lasts to this pick, he’s the last DE I’m excited about in this draft. 

3) Will Harris, S, Boston College.  Geathers is injured too often, and it’d be nice to have a successor in place.  Harris’ great combine, including a 4.41 forty, lands him right about here.  He has good feel in coverage and doesn’t make mental errors.

4) Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls.  6’6”, 309.  He has quick feet and was great in pass protection at the East West Shrine.  In a relatively poor OT class, he’s a guy who could develop into a starter after a year or so.  Only put up 16 bench at the Combine, indicating that (like most college OTs), he needs to add a lot of strength for the NFL.  With Castonzo, Clark, and Haeg FAs after 2019, taking a shot at a LT could provide a cheap successor at LT…

4) Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison. With the top four CBs being Moore, Wilson, Desir, and Nelson (in some order), I like the idea of developing someone behind them with ST ability.  Moreland was great at both the EWS and Senior Bowl, and showed some great return ability at the former.  With 29.5” arms, he’s a slot guy only on D, but I’m alright with that because the four ahead of them can all play outside.   

5) Joshua Miles, OL, Morgan St.  6’5”, 314.  Played LT in college.  Played inside at the East West Shrine, and was called by some as the best OL there.  I’m thinking of him as a back-up OG, though he has really long arms (making a Haeg-like swing tackle a possibility).  We’ve kept the OL together, now I’m trying to ensure the depth continues to improve.  With a new OL coach who is known as a teacher, I like giving him two underdeveloped, undercoached, small-school lumps of clay with positive athletic traits as his first projects.

6) Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford.  We have a very young LB corps, but I’d like to start laddering their contracts.  We used to do that with our Tampa-2 LBs.  Every year we’d lose a starter to FA, and someone we drafted mid- to late-rounds two years earlier would just step up.  Our LBs were always cheap that way.  Oh-kuh-REEK-ee is the typical fast, small, good-in-coverage LB we will be looking for going forward.

7) Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh.  We’re developing a well-rounded RB corps, only lacking a power runner.  Hall was just that at the EWS, plus he ripped off a 39-yard run.  He actually dropped weight to 217 at the EWS, but we can muscle him back up.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Archer said:

Here’s my thoughts immediately following the combine:

FA

1) Tyrell Williams, WR, Chargers.  Here’s our second “Dog”. 

2) Steven Nelson, CB, Chiefs.  Obviously working the Ballard connection.  Going veteran at CB with Nelson and Desir.

3) Rodney Gunter, DT, Cardinals.  Played a lot of 5-technique at Arizona, where he picked up 4.5 sacks last year.  He can take some of the NT reps we’re losing with Hunt and Woods leaving.

Inside FAs

·       All restricted FAs come back (Ward, etc.).

·       Mark Glowinski.  Already done.

·       Pierre Desir.  Played well, and we get a veteran, steady CB corps.

·       Adam Vinitieri.  Done.

·       Clayton Geathers. We need his veteran leadership in the secondary.  No other leaders back there.

Draft

1) Jerry Tillery, DT, Notre Dame.  I want to get cute with this pick, as I think there are really good consolation prizes at DT, like Khalen Saunders as early as the #59 pick.  However, Tillery is the perfect skill set for that NT position, and we have to replace the reps Hunt and Woods gave us last season.  Tillery can be a real disruptor, and he seems to have the same kind of quirky, weird personality that former Irish teammate Matthias Farley has.  Should fit well in the locker room – I don’t buy the off-field concerns.

2) Deebo Samuel, WR, South Carolina.  Senior Bowl riser.  This is the perfect slot guy for the Colts’ offense.  Great route-runner, good hands, and excels at YAC.  Built like a running back.  It’d be a shame if we couldn’t find a way to work him into our draft – possibly the only guy I think that about at this point in time.  Hopefully our 3rd “Dog”.

2) Chase Winovich, DE, Michigan.  I’ve had us going DE in the first for a while, but the combine convinced me that no one will be there for us at #25.  Bosa, Sweat, Ferrell, Burns, Gary – they’ll all be gone.  I loved Omenihu, but he had a disastrous combine that convinced me that he lacks the athleticism I thought he had.  Polite is probably off my board, with growing off-field concerns.  I really don’t like many developmental DEs later in the draft.  Winovich had some really good quickness figures at the Combine, and he ran a 4.59 forty.  He also is supposed to have some top-tier leadership qualities.  If he lasts to this pick, he’s the last DE I’m excited about in this draft. 

3) Will Harris, S, Boston College.  Geathers is injured too often, and it’d be nice to have a successor in place.  Harris’ great combine, including a 4.41 forty, lands him right about here.  He has good feel in coverage and doesn’t make mental errors.

4) Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls.  6’6”, 309.  He has quick feet and was great in pass protection at the East West Shrine.  In a relatively poor OT class, he’s a guy who could develop into a starter after a year or so.  Only put up 16 bench at the Combine, indicating that (like most college OTs), he needs to add a lot of strength for the NFL.  With Castonzo, Clark, and Haeg FAs after 2019, taking a shot at a LT could provide a cheap successor at LT…

4) Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison. With the top four CBs being Moore, Wilson, Desir, and Nelson (in some order), I like the idea of developing someone behind them with ST ability.  Moreland was great at both the EWS and Senior Bowl, and showed some great return ability at the former.  With 29.5” arms, he’s a slot guy only on D, but I’m alright with that because the four ahead of them can all play outside.   

5) Joshua Miles, OL, Morgan St.  6’5”, 314.  Played LT in college.  Played inside at the East West Shrine, and was called by some as the best OL there.  I’m thinking of him as a back-up OG, though he has really long arms (making a Haeg-like swing tackle a possibility).  We’ve kept the OL together, now I’m trying to ensure the depth continues to improve.  With a new OL coach who is known as a teacher, I like giving him two underdeveloped, undercoached, small-school lumps of clay with positive athletic traits as his first projects.

6) Bobby Okereke, LB, Stanford.  We have a very young LB corps, but I’d like to start laddering their contracts.  We used to do that with our Tampa-2 LBs.  Every year we’d lose a starter to FA, and someone we drafted mid- to late-rounds two years earlier would just step up.  Our LBs were always cheap that way.  Oh-kuh-REEK-ee is the typical fast, small, good-in-coverage LB we will be looking for going forward.

7) Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh.  We’re developing a well-rounded RB corps, only lacking a power runner.  Hall was just that at the EWS, plus he ripped off a 39-yard run.  He actually dropped weight to 217 at the EWS, but we can muscle him back up.

Chase would most likely go to a 3-4 team, IMO, well ahead of No.59 after the combine. Yes, I would definitely like him if he is there, no doubt. Very nice draft!!! IMO, Tillery can play 3-technique and 5-technique, and will be effective with the stunts Eberflus likes to run, he can definitely be moved around the line, so his versatility is a plus.

I am curious to see who we decide to go with - A.J.Brown or Deebo Samuel, if both of them are there at No.34. Both have faced good competition in the SEC. Not to bash Luck, I still do not think he leads our pass catchers as well as an elite QB like Brady, Rodgers or Brees, but I believe he will get there, so Brown might fit us better than Deebo due to that.

Both Brown and Samuel can get open underneath but Brown will probably come up with a contested catch better than Deebo due to being more physical. So, if both are available, I'd go with Brown. Plus, a game like the Chiefs where they allowed contact from DBs, you need that physical presence because you probably are not going to get easily open, no matter how good the scheme is and have to fight through.

FAs - I can see Hunt being back first before Woods, to be honest and we were the team to give him that second chance when most had written him off, so he may give us a slight discount??? :) 

I'd feel a lot better about this draft if:

1. The Colts grab a pass rusher in FA. 

2. You swap AJ Brown with Samuel. 

Otherwise, very nice work, especially late in the draft. Okereke is a good football player. Smart Stanford kid. I'd love to get him in the 6th, but I suspect the Colts will have to grab him much sooner, especially with his strong combine performance. 

8 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

Is Winovich a scheme fit? He seems like a 3-4 body type a-la John Simon.

Winovich can get lost in space more, his flexibility and mobility are not the greatest. So, I would have to say he could actually be a liability as a 3-4 OLB more than 4-3 DE.

He plays better from a 3-point stance than 2-point stance, based on everything I have seen and read. Very good versus the run, almost like a run down DE with his good technique vs the run and a strong motor in pass rush but limited cornering/bend around capabilities.