Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Falcons Brian Poole

Falcons are not tendering nickelback Brian Poole and letting him enter FA. Very solid production for him in his 3 seasons there. Started 21 of 47 games. 196 tackles, 5 sacks and 4 interceptions. I don't see him commanding big dollar and would bring some really good depth and competition to this unit. Falcons run a 4-3 zone based defense, and he is 26. Keep an eye on him going forward.

I haven't either. saw the headlines on espn and looked him up. Will be interesting to keep an eye on. Looks to be a pretty dang good football player and Falcons fans are scratching their heads on twitter. 

14 hours ago, DarkSuperman said:

Haven't seen much of the guy but I'm all for bringing in more secondary help.

I haven't either. saw the headlines on espn and looked him up. Will be interesting to keep an eye on. Looks to be a pretty dang good football player and Falcons fans are scratching their heads on twitter. 

Sorry for that. Replied without quoting. My bad.

17 minutes ago, krunk said:

What would he play here because we already have a pretty darn good nickel back in Kenny Moore.

And when Moore goes down, who is a good nickel on this roster? 

I'm not saying it's a good move, because I'm still getting to know this guy. But if he isn't commanding much, and falcons fans on twitter seem to think he would have been a cheap tender for them, then you are telling me you aren't willing to add competition to the secondary with a proven and young player? I think our defensive backs need some upgrading. Moore was exceptional this year. But we lack any serious depth, and Ballard's is continuously preaching  competition. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Nickel and diming us to death...(see what I did there?)

It was good, I will admit... 

If Ballard could land him on a good deal because he flys under the radar in early free agency, then why not? If he fits the mold, and they like his play, of course...

It's moves like that that will be the icing on the cake this offseason. 

16 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

It was good, I will admit... 

If Ballard could land him on a good deal because he flys under the radar in early free agency, then why not? If he fits the mold, and they like his play, of course...

It's moves like that that will be the icing on the cake this offseason. 

I'm all for adding depth to the secondary....at the right $$. Can never be too deep at any position groups, really. You're always an injury or two away from strength being weakness, and it is a full-contact sport afterall. 

57 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

And when Moore goes down, who is a good nickel on this roster? 

I'm not saying it's a good move, because I'm still getting to know this guy. But if he isn't commanding much, and falcons fans on twitter seem to think he would have been a cheap tender for them, then you are telling me you aren't willing to add competition to the secondary with a proven and young player? I think our defensive backs need some upgrading. Moore was exceptional this year. But we lack any serious depth, and Ballard's is continuously preaching  competition. 

I asked you what did you envision him doing here to see what your thoughts were. Your answer is you see him as depth and competition. I wasnt sure if you felt he was a starter. I agree this is a Ballard type signing if youre talking about depth, or at least it sounds like it. Havent watched a bunch on him. I believe we were using Farley behind Kenny Moore before Farley got hurt. Farley can play FS and CB.

2 minutes ago, krunk said:

I asked you what did you envision him doing here to see what your thoughts were. Your answer is you see him as depth and competition. I wasnt sure if you felt he was a starter. I agree this is a Ballard type signing, or at least it sounds like it. Havent watched a bunch on him. I believe we were using Farley behind Kenny Moore before Farley got hurt. Farley can play FS and CB.

I'm not sure, honestly. I love Kenny Moore. I think he played lights out at times this season and was a big difference maker in several games, if not THE difference maker. But there is no depth at that position, and it's a weak room. If the value is there on a reasonable deal for somebody like Poole, then I'm all in. Let's find 5 or 6 more at various positions of need. 

I do think it would be situational where these guys would fit on the field at the same time. Maybe he commands much more than any of us would think and be comfortable with. 

6 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Kenny Moore will play every snap so HE doesn't need depth. 
In other news, Nate Hairston could use some competition, and Milton can't really play corner. So... 

... don't jinx Kenny Moore's health like that you turd. I hope you are right, but depth is for competition and protection when injuries kick in, inevitably. 

On 2/16/2019 at 2:47 PM, ColtStrong2013 said:

I'm not sure, honestly. I love Kenny Moore. I think he played lights out at times this season and was a big difference maker in several games, if not THE difference maker. But there is no depth at that position, and it's a weak room. If the value is there on a reasonable deal for somebody like Poole, then I'm all in. Let's find 5 or 6 more at various positions of need. 

I do think it would be situational where these guys would fit on the field at the same time. Maybe he commands much more than any of us would think and be comfortable with. 

I'm not sure if I would totally say Nate Hairston and Farley equals no depth though.   But I could see a guy like Poole being brought in for competition. Sure.

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not sure if I would totally say Nate Hairston and Farley equals no depth though.   But I could see a guy like Poole being brought in for competition. Sure.

Farley at nickel for depth purposes isn't ideal IMO. That creates an issue at safety if it gets thin, and God knows that has happened time and time again with this organization. I think we bring a safety (or two) in via FA or draft, so that be a moot point. 

I'm not sure someone like Poole is looking to come to a team like Indy with a proven nickelback. But maybe he thinks he's a legit corner and wants to prove it. 

11 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Farley at nickel for depth purposes isn't ideal IMO. That creates an issue at safety if it gets thin, and God knows that has happened time and time again with this organization. I think we bring a safety (or two) in via FA or draft, so that be a moot point. 

I'm not sure someone like Poole is looking to come to a team like Indy with a proven nickelback. But maybe he thinks he's a legit corner and wants to prove it. 

I could see him thinking that also .

15 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't think Poole is a likely candidate for the Colts.

He plays the slot/nickle corner for Atlanta.

We already have that guy for the Colts.     Kenny Moore.

Poole wants to go someplace where he can play,  not be the 2nd string.

I agree. Unless he doesn't get very far in FA and Ballard is entertaining him. At his age, he's looking at money more than whether he is a sure thing to start. Now is the time to maximize earnings. I don't know what kind of market is there for him. I'd say there is only a handful of teams looking solely for a nickelback without other competition on the roster.