Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Demarco Murray to retire

CR91

When older vets get to a point where offers are vet min (or close to) and/or incentive laden with those that are hard to achieve (remember, coaches control who plays and what plays are called, not a player), then retirement looks good rather than go through all that camp stuff, pre-season, etc... and not play (even for minimum salary) nearly as much as desired or possibly even get cut (little no guaranteed money either) at some point.  The cons to signing and playing in those circumstances certainbly outweigh the pros.

I have little doubt Murray/agent were getting calls from teams. Just way below what he would consider to accept, thus his choice to retire.

• Like 2

On 7/14/2018 at 6:58 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

When older vets get to a point where offers are vet min (or close to) and/or incentive laden with those that are hard to achieve (remember, coaches control who plays and what plays are called, not a player), then retirement looks good rather than go through all that camp stuff, pre-season, etc... and not play (even for minimum salary) nearly as much as desired or possibly even get cut (little no guaranteed money either) at some point.  The cons to signing and playing in those circumstances certainbly outweigh the pros.

I have little doubt Murray/agent were getting calls from teams. Just way below what he would consider to accept, thus his choice to retire.

Actually, your argument brought home the point that Murray was forced out of football since his offers financially sucked. Translation: If the money on the table was better, Demarco would gladly buckle his chinstrap & run out on the field this season.

It's the equivalent of a low ball forced exit. Not really a joyous sunset sendoff if you ask me. It's like being squeezed out of a company by automation & being replaced by a machine. Murray deep down really isn't happy about this. Trust me CBFL.

Veteran running backs at a certain point very seldom have  a joyous sunset sendoff unless you retire near the end of your carrier with a Lombardi trophy and at a certain point those big paydays are not going to be there anymore.  The NFL is all about what have you done lately.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, horseshoecrabs said:

Veteran running backs at a certain point very seldom have  a joyous sunset sendoff unless you retire near the end of your carrier with a Lombardi trophy and at a certain point those big paydays are not going to be there anymore.  The NFL is all about what have you done lately.

Nice post HSC. While it is true that most NFL plays wanna win a ring as their swan song, in the case of Murray, money is a form of respect. When your offers are incentive based or legal minimum at best, it literally means teams think you are washed up.

Funny because I thought coaches valued mentorship in locker rooms & film study sessions training rookies or guys needing to take their game to another level.

Not criticizing you at all HSC. Just a pet peeve of mine in the NFL. Knowledge & experience matter & that resource can be tapped in different ways beyond field reps.

10 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Actually, your argument brought home the point that Murray was forced out of football since his offers financially sucked. Translation: If the money on the table was better, Demarco would gladly buckle his chinstrap & run out on the field this season.

It's the equivalent of a low ball forced exit. Not really a joyous sunset sendoff if you ask me. It's like being squeezed out of a company by automation & being replaced by a machine. Murray deep down really isn't happy about this. Trust me CBFL.

Running backs like Gore are an anomaly.  Murray, IMO, has beat the odds (made it to 30 as a RB).  The NFL really looks at players in a different light when they approach/hit 30, especially running backs. The number of RB's over 30 that are quite productive are quite few and far between.

How much, and for how long (and what guaranteed money for skill / injury) would you pay these guys below on their next contract?  (and would they accept, or retire?)

Jonathan Stewart
LeGarrette Blount
Chris Ivory
Marshawn Lynch
Doug Martin
LeSean McCoy
Darren Sproles
Bilal Powell

And will any of these guys below even get an offer, and if so, one they could accept, or will they decide to retire as well?

Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte

The NFL is a young mans league. Roster spots are as precious as Tanzanite. Maybe not something we like (as when Reggie Wayne is let go before he wants to stop playing) but it is the way of the  Not For Long  league.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Running backs like Gore are an anomaly.  Murray, IMO, has beat the odds (made it to 30 as a RB).  The NFL really looks at players in a different light when they approach/hit 30, especially running backs. The number of RB's over 30 that are quite productive are quite few and far between.

How much, and for how long (and what guaranteed money for skill / injury) would you pay these guys below on their next contract?  (and would they accept, or retire?)

Jonathan Stewart
LeGarrette Blount
Chris Ivory
Marshawn Lynch
Doug Martin
LeSean McCoy
Darren Sproles
Bilal Powell

And will any of these guys below even get an offer, and if so, one they could accept, or will they decide to retire as well?

Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte

The NFL is a young mans league. Roster spots are as precious as Tanzanite. Maybe not something we like (as when Reggie Wayne is let go before he wants to stop playing) but it is the way of the  Not For Long  league.

That is probably why a smart team like the Steelers are not offering Bell the guaranteed money that he wants. 

As for Matt Forte, I think he retired. Peterson should do the same. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I think this is the natural end of a career.....

Fans assume a player plays past 30........and that he'd stick around with a Clint Eastwood contract (For a few dollars more) but those days are gone.

At age 30. he's a multi millionaire and multiple careers of his choice available to him.

This is the natural order......There's no real world expectation for him to play into his 30s at running back.

Like CBF says..the NFL is a young man's league and becoming more so

On 7/18/2018 at 7:18 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Jonathan Stewart
LeGarrette Blount
Chris Ivory
Marshawn Lynch
Doug Martin
LeSean McCoy
Darren Sproles
Bilal Powell

Adrian Peterson
Alfred Morris
Matt Forte

Your post is well crafted & clearly well thought out CBFL. Yes, there is the old adage that running backs or any NFL player really have only so many hits or collisions their body can take, which means most backs only last anywhere from 4-6 yrs at an elite level on average. 

I always find it funny that when GMs evaluate a RB contract on a veteran & whether to extend it all they typically look at are their age & their yards after contact or getting to the second level. They rarely address blitz pickup on 3rd down when throwing the ball is usually mandatory. Did you see the joke of an offer the Steelers threw Bell's way? Only $10,000,000 guaranteed? Of course, he took the franchise tag at $14.5 million. Pittsburgh is so darn cheap & disingenuous. Or CJ Anderson who was vital to the Broncos SB success in 2015 on blitz pickup for Peyton Manning & the Broncos? And where is he now? Playing with Cam Newton Panthers the team he beat to get his ring. 

GMs love to wear RBs down & then release them after they prove their worth to an organization. I despise that reality.