Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

New Defensive Philosophy Under Manusky

rockywoj

Good article on Colts.com about Greg Manusky, the Colts' new defensive coordinator, and his defensive philosophy.

I think most telling / encouraging are these excerpts ...

“I never want to get into a situation where I’m shoving a square peg into a round hole. Right now, we’re looking at the players and, ‘What can they do.’ That’s the most important thing,” said Manusky. “I’m a type of coach who doesn’t want to put a player in a bad situation. (I) try to put players in the best situation to make plays.

“That’s what we are doing right now. We’re evaluating the talent from last year. We will come to terms with what defense matches us the best with the personnel we have on the club.”

What Manusky wants in Indianapolis would be an aggressive style, something he believes is important with today’s offenses. He believes two components from the Colts’ recent past could help fit that style.

“It depends on who you have around you, but I want an attacking defense across the board,” said Manusky. “I think nowadays with offenses having the ability to open up the field and spread you out, I think pressure on the quarterback is the main thing. With the two guys we have right now with Dwight Freeneyicon-article-link.gif and (Robert) Mathis, two individuals I haven’t had in the past, that can roll off the edge and create havoc in the backfield it’s the best thing you can ever have.

Those are some good things to hear, I also liked how he talked about Mathis already with them, which I believe is a key guy to re-sign.

Agreed. Freeney and Mathis have for years been the best things about the Colts defense, the way they can apply unrelenting pressure on the QB. I am of the opinion you keep your key cogs, of which I believe Freeney and Mathis are. Hence, with all this forum chatter that has been going on about get rid of Freeney or let Mathis walk, it's good to my ears to hear Manusky identifying those guys as key guys. I think it's logical to infer from that, that indeed the Colts truly do intend on retaining Mathis and continuing to utilize Freeney.

Granted, hopefully they can restructure things with Freeney with an extension that provides some immediate salary cap relief.

Also, I like the idea that the powers that be are preaching an "aggressive" approach, which is something I think the Colts D has lacked for years.

Agreed. Freeney and Mathis have for years been the best things about the Colts defense, the way they can apply unrelenting pressure on the QB. I am of the opinion you keep your key cogs, of which I believe Freeney and Mathis are. Hence, with all this forum chatter that has been going on about get rid of Freeney or let Mathis walk, it's good to my ears to hear Manusky identifying those guys as key guys. I think it's logical to infer from that, that indeed the Colts truly do intend on retaining Mathis and continuing to utilize Freeney.

Granted, hopefully they can restructure things with Freeney with an extension that provides some immediate salary cap relief.

Also, I like the idea that the powers that be are preaching an "aggressive" approach, which is something I think the Colts D has lacked for years.

I have no doubt it would be best to keep them, in an ideal world. I think the chatter you refer to has more to do with the practical difficulties inherent it paying them what they are actually worth (vs. what their contracts demand) AND fielding a competitve team around them. To my reading, I've seen precious few posters who argue that Frathis sucks, just that it could well be too expensive to keep both (and Manning and Wayne and Clark and Garcon and Brackett and...)

I have no doubt it would be best to keep them, in an ideal world. I think the chatter you refer to has more to do with the practical difficulties inherent it paying them what they are actually worth (vs. what their contracts demand) AND fielding a competitve team around them. To my reading, I've seen precious few posters who argue that Frathis sucks, just that it could well be too expensive to keep both (and Manning and Wayne and Clark and Garcon and Brackett and...)

I think that,. after March 13..Freeney's contract ($19 mil cap hit) will be restructured in some respects. to pay Mathis and Garcon