Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2nd Round

With the Luck pick all but assured, and a trade scenario that would be too difficult to speculate (in terms of the picks we would obtain by giving him up), let's just assume it's pick 34, and we have to make a decision.

For this exercise, we will assume that it doesn't matter what happened before this pick. We don't know what happened with Manning, Freeney, or Mathis. You are looking to get a crossover of need versus talent, and you've done your scouting.

We know that the team is likely moving to a hybridized 3-4/4-3 scheme that utilizes powerful, but flexible linemen and LB's. If this is true, we are sorely lacking in the front seven. In order for this type of defense to be successful, a team has to "load up" on that side of the ball, or else it's just a bunch of slow, awkward blitz packages that are nil effective, and will get repeatedly burned on the back end as DB's are forced to cover for far too long.

For my own examples, I have selected players who have been scouted (by myself and others) to be capable of playing multiple roles in a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. Some analyses were formulated on my own, while others are drawn from the wisdom of experts around the sports world.

DE/OLB

I'd love to get Coples, Ingram, Mercilus, or Upshaw here, but they will be gone by the time we pick in round 2. There are a few remaining players that could prove to be steals here.

Nick Perry, DE/OLB, USC

Height: 6-3. Weight: 250.

Nick Perry has violent, strong hands against blockers, tremendous speed and athleticism, and is as disruptive as they come. His one downside is size, and thus he would probably be limited to a rush OLB position only. I'm okay with that, personally, as we really don't have anyone dedicated to that position. He finished 2011 with 54 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 13 tackles for loss, 2 batted passes, and 3 forced fumbles, against some of the most potent pass offenses in the country.

Vinny Curry, DE/OLB, Marshall

Height: 6-3. Weight: 265.

Vinny Curry saw his draft stock rise after an impressive Senior Bowl week. While Coples, Ingram, and Upshaw were the stars everyone expected them to be, Curry was equally successful in beating top o-line prospects. Everybody knew that Curry was a quality pass rusher, but he performed well against the run also. In 2011, Curry had 77 tackles, 22 tackles for a loss, 11 sacks, three blocked kicks, and seven forced fumbles. Before this year started, Curry added 10 pounds, and he still looked fast and explosive. Curry had to battle consistent extra blocking this year, yet his production improved over an already impressive 2010 campaign.

Andre Branch, DE/OLB, Clemson

Height: 6-5. Weight: 260.

Branch was a good replacement for defensive standouts like Da'Quan Bowers and Jervis Jenkins. In 2011, he made 77 tackles with 17 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks and one forced fumble. He exploded in a televised performance against Virginia Tech for 11 tackles, 6 tackles for loss, and 4 sacks. While lacking in bulk and strength to hold up at the point of attack against the run, he is a sure and intuitive tackler, and some of the techniques required are coachable (with new defensive coaches, let's say). Perhaps a 1-trick pony, but a disruptive horse at that, he signed with Clemson as an OLB, and still rotates there from time to time, but was more often used in the "bandit," or right defensive end slot as his career progressed.

Ronnell Lewis, OLB/DE, Oklahoma

Height: 6-2. Weight: 244.

Lewis played very well in 2011 at defensive end. His ability to rush the passer off the edge, while playing the run well, illustrates that he could be a good 3-4 outside linebacker in the NFL. Lewis totaled 59 tackles with 13 tackles for a loss, 5.5 sacks, five passes batted, one forced fumble and one interception. Against Texas A&M, the team with the best pair of offensive tackles Oklahoma faced all season, he had a good game with eight tackles, two tackles for a loss, one interception, one pass batted away and some good pass pressure. Lewis also outplayed the Seminoles and their offensive tackles Andrew Datko and Zebrie Sanders. Some scouts are comparing Lewis to Denver Broncos standout rookie OLB Von Miller. One analyst said, "Lewis has speed to burn while being built like a truck." On the field, he is an intimidating force that plays with a mean streak. Lewis is an underrated prospect who could be a steal for us, especially if Mathis and/or Freeney are moved.

DT/DE

Here we move to one of more the delicate areas of a 3-4 defensive line. As teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore have shown us, a good defense must have guys who have the size, flexibility, and athleticism to play both positions. Fortunately for us, there are number of good ones available. Again, Coples and Ingram can play both but will be gone, and standouts like Devon Still, and Michael Brockers will have been plucked long before we select at pick 34.

Fletcher Cox, DT/DE, Mississippi State

Height: 6-4. Weight: 295.

I've seen mixed scouting reports on his placement in the draft, with some having him as high as 20, and others as low as the middle of round 2. Just in case, we will include his scouting information here.

Cox was suspended for the first game of the season, and didn't have much production in the first five games of the year but came alive with four sacks in two games against South Carolina and Kentucky. Late in the season, Cox had quality performances against Alabama and Arkansas. For 2011, he totaled 56 tackles with 14.5 tackles for a loss, five sacks and one forced fumble. Cox has a nice combination of speed and playmaking ability. He has the power to push linemen back and get them off balance with the speed to shoot by them and get to the quarterback. Cox also has the size and length to be a 3-4 defensive end. NFL teams are suddenly on the lookout for defensive linemen tall and athletic enough to provide some pressure from the outside, but strong enough to hold up in the middle. In Cox, a still-growing three-year starter out of the SEC, teams see a player capable of starring in both roles.

Derek Wolfe, DE/DT, Cincinnati

Height: 6-5. Weight: 286.

Bit of a tweener who sometimes struggles in high-traffic situations, but has great length and upper body strength. Wolfe had an excellent senior season with 70 tackles, 21.5 tackles for a loss, two forced fumbles and 9.5 sacks. At the point of attack, he overwhelms offensive linemen with his strength and speed. Wolfe closes on the quarterback quickly and plays the run extremely well. He has a nice repertoire of pass rushing moves and uses a strong rip move. What most teams like about him, however, is that he could be a base-end on running downs, and then move inside on passing situations. That's the type of flexibility teams are looking for with the hybrid lines. He may not be worthy of taking high in the 2nd round, however, as some scouts have him going in the 3rd round or later.

Kendall Reyes, DE/DT, Connecticut

Height: 6-4. Weight: 300.

I don't know much about this prospect, personally, but he moved up the charts after a strong Senior Bowl. He finished 2011 making 46 tackles with 13.5 tackles for a loss and 4.5 sacks. Reyes, who measured in just a shade under 6-4 and 300 pounds, lined up at the three-technnique and even was split out as a five-technique defensive end. That's the type of versatility we will need. Rob Rang, from NFLDraftScout.com reports, "His burst off the snap and quick hands made him a tough draw for even the most athletic and experienced of the North offensive linemen. Wisconsin's Kevin Zeitler, arguably the nation's top pure guard among seniors, struggled handling Reyes one on one during drills and during the scrimmages throughout practice, as well."

DT/NT

Here it is, the much maligned position of hybrid defenses. The hardest spot, arguably, to find good talent and not just a fat guy. We have good DT prospects in Nevis and Moala, but we will definitely need someone who provides us more at the NT spot than the likes of AJ or Muir. We have a few good ones coming up, though some of them come at a high risk.

Dontari Poe, DT/NT, Memphis

Height: 6-5. Weight: 350.

Poe has tremendous size, obviously, and was pretty productive with 33 tackles, eight tackles for a loss, one sack and one forced fumble in 2011. Concerns, however, include the fact that he did not play well against Mississippi State (the one relevant offensive line he faced), in the first game of the season, and closed out 2011 without a tackle for a loss in the last four games. I'm going to be honest: I don't like this prospect. He's big, but that's it. He shows stamina issues, he rarely ever gets up field, and saw a reduction in productivity from 2010 to 2011. I think he would have to lose at least 15 pounds to gain the agility required to play at the next level, as being fat just isn't enough. Believe it or not, 350 pounds doesn't eat up much more space than 320 pounds. If the guy can't move well, he's worthless. Teams can run around that, or block-scheme a fat guy away without problems in the NFL.

Brandon Thompson, DT, Clemson

Height: 6-2. Weight: 311.

All year, he was a load at the line of scrimmage who caused disruption by knocking linemen into the backfield. Thompson is an excellent run stuffer and does the dirty work in eating up double teams. He had 46 tackles with 7.5 tackles for a loss, 2.5 sacks and a forced fumble in 2011. He's being compared to a slightly bigger Drake Nevis, which could be good for us. A lot of scouts believe he has the ability to slide all over the line, another positive for us. He was far more disruptive than his numbers indicate (much like Nevis), and was very good during the week of the Senior Bowl in Mobile.

Alameda Ta'amu, DT/NT, Washington

Height: 6-3. Weight: 341.

Another large space eater, exciting many a Colts fan because of the number next to the "Weight" category, he finished 2011 with 30 tackles, seven tackles for a loss, and 3.5 sacks. He was often a load at the line of scrimmage, but he does present some concerns. Against Stanford's strong offensive line, he was a non-factor, and failed to show up again against Baylor. During the week of the Senior Bowl, he was practically non-existent; some scouts went so far as to call him a disappointment. He shows virtually nothing against teams that can pass (read: mose NFL teams nowadays), though he is a classic space-eater against the run. There could be potential there, but he's probably another guy I would pass on.

Conclusion

I would probably draft either Vinny Curry, or Ronnell Lewis with pick 34. Both are supremely athletic upgrades to what we have at OLB, and would be the start of a beautiful blitzing threat in the new defense. We can retain Anderson for relatively cheap, and combined with Foster, Moala, and Nevis, I feel as though the DT/DE spots would be pretty well set. Mathis, Hughes, and then one of these two draft picks could rotate the DE/OLB spots, and hopefully we rework Freeney's deal. If he doesn't fit in the new scheme, or he doesn't want to restructure, then he will sadly have to go. I think this would provide us with a tremendous boost without having to dip too heavily into Free Agency as we grow for the future, while also aiding Manning in winning his next Super Bowl.

Some people are going to freak out that I am not taking a Safety or Nose Tackle here, but I just don't like the prospects there. I think we could get a STEAL at NT by taking Josh Chapman or Nick Jean-Baptiste in rounds 3 or 4. As for Mark Barron, I just don't buy that he will be there at the top of the 2nd round. He's a special player, and will likely be off the board. We've also added a Safety this off-season, and Bullitt could very well return (if he comes cheap). Granted, the latter has health issues, and I would take Barron if available, but we could see prospects like Brandon Taylor, Winston Guy, or Harrison Smith in later rounds provide us the same physical upgrade we seek there.

My ideal situation would be to trade Luck to Cleveland for their two firsts, second, and some more picks next year. We could then get Claiborne and Barron in round 1, and either Cox, Curry, or Lewis at the top of 2. We would then have another pick at roughly 36 with the trade, if I'm not mistaken, to take Coby Fleener (TE, Stanford), or Mohamad Sanu (WR, Rutgers) to help Manning and/or Luck.

Anyway, I'm done here for now, and as with every season, my draft choices will likely change in a week. Enjoy!

Wolfe is a fifth or sixth round prospect. Reyes in round three if he lasted would be a steal! I like Reyes, and Randal as 3-4 DE's. I also think we need a OLB only if both Freeney and Mathis are gone. Colts need a versatile ILB, Nigel Bradham is my favorite. 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

the best value seems to be the olb's. don't see perry's size as a big concern, in a couple years he could easily be 260. not sure about poe either...seems to be more of a great specimen rather than a great football player. and ta'amu would prolly be a reach at 34. couldn't argue against cox, although i don't think he will be there.

Wolfe is a fifth or sixth round prospect. Reyes in round three if he lasted would be a steal! I like Reyes, and Randal as 3-4 DE's. I also think we need a OLB only if both Freeney and Mathis are gone. Colts need a versatile ILB, Nigel Bradham is my favorite. 4-3 OLB or 3-4 ILB.

freeny is 33 and in the last year of his contract. plus, he didn't exactly have a great year imo

Poe, Perry and Curry are my favorites but Poe and Perry will probably go in the 1st. Wolfe at 34 is a major reach. There's a possibility Dont'a Hightower could be there at 34 too, and he would be a day 1 starter for us as 3-4 ILB or 4-3 OLB.

I can't edit the stupid "N" in the title of the thread. Boo...

I gotcha

I also made one or two mistakes in the original post, talking about a Luck trade scenario, but then included players that could help him. Hurr...

Anyway, thanks for the input guys!

Poe would be a solid addition as the anchor of our 3-4. Depending on who is left on the board, I would really like to see a SS or CB taken early. Our secondary was brutal this year.

You won't have a good 3-4 defense without a good nose tackle. So Dontari Poe and Alameda Ta'amu would be great picks. Vinny Curry has drawn Demarcus Ware comparisons though.

Last year Denver picked the pass rusher over the nose tackle and it worked, but we run a 4-3. It's a tough choice, dynamic pass rusher or run anchoring nose tackle.

If I had to choose I would pick Curry because he is a better all around player than Ta'amu, but Ta'amu would fill a bigger need.

This is assuming Poe is not available.

You won't have a good 3-4 defense without a good nose tackle. So Dontari Poe and Alameda Ta'amu would be great picks. Vinny Curry has drawn Demarcus Ware comparisons though.

Last year Denver picked the pass rusher over the nose tackle and it worked, but we run a 4-3. It's a tough choice, dynamic pass rusher or run anchoring nose tackle.

If I had to choose I would pick Curry because he is a better all around player than Ta'amu, but Ta'amu would fill a bigger need.

This is assuming Poe is not available.

Maybe picking up a solid NT in free agency would allow drafting Chapman or Bastiste later and would prevent having to reach early on. We could then grab a CB or maybe WR in the second. These positions are very expensive in FA and would be better gotten in the draft

I ment lots of OLB options in the team, I'd rather trade Freeney personally. I ment need an ILB as well, freeney is over paid.

Completely agree with you on Freeney. We can have good pass rush without him and he is costing us too much. We could probably get at least a high 2nd for him.

I love how nobody has actually done an analysis of Poe and Ta'amu. They are not good players. They are fat. You don't pick them because you want fat Nose Tackles. I believe guys with more athleticism and upside can be found later. A lot of scouts agree with me as well, which is why I felt comfortable with my report on them.

It's about crossing talent with need, and I don't buy either guy as an "anchor" with their projected draft placement. Most scouts felt as though they did nothing more than take up space, and lack the power, agility, and overall skill to be a lead NT in the NFL.

I think a few of these could go in the first - Perry and Poe for example.

I'm excited for the second round because there are a number of players we could bring in - I'd be very much inclined to go CB myself - Minnifield, Gilmore, Dennard etc all possible targets.

• Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu gave the type of effort that he is known for and also showcased above average athleticism for a 341 pound man. While not considered to be a sack artist Ta’amu looked relatively fluid in pass rush drills today.

• Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu had one of the days highlights when he beat Kevin Zeitler with a spin move in 1-on-1’s. It’s not often that you see a 341 pound nose tackle beating a potential first round guard with a spin move of all things. Ta’amu obviously isn’t your average nose tackle.

• Washington DT Alameda Ta’amu was pretty inconsistent day and while he wasn’t bad it wasn’t his best showing of the week either. Ta’amu’s strength was still evident though with the massive nose tackle stayed disciplined in his game during the team portions of the practice.

It’s hard to believe there was a defensive lineman who had a better game than Washington NT Alameda Ta’amu, who wreaked havoc on the interior. Not only did Ta’amu stuff the run and penetrate to make impact plays in the backfield, including two tackles for a loss, but he also showcased outstanding range and a fantastic motor.

These are all from draftcountdown.com. All I read from that is Ta'amu had a great Senior Bowl week and showed that he was a better pass rusher than most thought. Do you have links to where they scouts said he had a bad week and game?

Per CBS.com

Pass rush: Surprising initial quickness off the snap. Wide-bodied frame makes it difficult for him to split gaps, but shows a burst when he has a lane. Developing swim move. Relies mostly on a simple bull rush at this point, which is quite effective in collapsing the pocket. Only phone booth quickness. Gives good effort in chasing down the quarterback, but tires quickly.

Run defense: Strong, stout interior presence who often requires double-team blocks to keep him from clogging running lanes. Short, thick legs and thick trunk which aid him in anchoring. Inconsistent in his effort pursuing laterally and downfield, but surprises opponents with his quickness for such a large man. Short arms could lead to problems against NFL-caliber offensive linemen with longer arms able to get into his chest …

Explosion: Flashes an explosive initial burst off the snap to split gaps, especially when guards vacate the hole to pull. Has the upper body strength to rock his opponent back onto his heels. Quicker and more athletic than his body would lead you to believe, flashing startling explosiveness as a tackler when he gains momentum.

Strength: Powerful man who often requires double-teams. Excellent strength in his upper and lower, though his short limbs limit his effectiveness, at times. Relies heavily on his bull rush to pressure the quarterback. Often is at his most effective as a run-stuffer by simply creating a pile in the middle due to his ability to anchor.

Tackling: Makes most of his tackles by simpyl bludgeoning the ball-carrier. Lacks the quick-twitch muscles and lateral agility to break down in space, but has such great strength that he often is able to grab the ball-carrier with one arm, slow his momentum and grab on with his other arm to pull the ball-carrier to the ground. Inconsistent effort in pursuit, but generates impressive momentum when he's moving at full-speed and can rock the ball-carrier with an explosive hit.

Intangibles: Struggled with his weight early in his career. Has weighed as much as 390 pounds and played at 360, at times. Committed himself to extra conditioning and taking rice -- a staple of the Samoan culture -- out of his diet. He weighed in at 337 pounds for the 2011 Holiday Bowl. Suffered a broken foot during his senior year of high school.

--Rob Rang

I love how nobody has actually done an analysis of Poe and Ta'amu. They are not good players. They are fat. You don't pick them because you want fat Nose Tackles. I believe guys with more athleticism and upside can be found later. A lot of scouts agree with me as well, which is why I felt comfortable with my report on them.

It's about crossing talent with need, and I don't buy either guy as an "anchor" with their projected draft placement. Most scouts felt as though they did nothing more than take up space, and lack the power, agility, and overall skill to be a lead NT in the NFL.

From the scouting reports I've read on Poe, he gets a great burst off the snap and has a solid combination or size and strength. However, his technique isn't that refined and he doesn't have many pass rushing moves. He has also shown a tendency to lose concentration late in games or on long drives when he is tired. He's a decent run stuffer, but like you said in your first post, it wouldn't hurt him to lost about 15 lbs

I love how nobody has actually done an analysis of Poe and Ta'amu. They are not good players. They are fat. You don't pick them because you want fat Nose Tackles. I believe guys with more athleticism and upside can be found later. A lot of scouts agree with me as well, which is why I felt comfortable with my report on them. It's about crossing talent with need, and I don't buy either guy as an "anchor" with their projected draft placement. Most scouts felt as though they did nothing more than take up space, and lack the power, agility, and overall skill to be a lead NT in the NFL.

I agree with this totally. I don't think that we need to have that 330-350 lb NT when we do our 3-man front, we can very well play the Wade Philips 1-gap 3-4 front with an extremely athletic NT that weighs about 310-320 lbs.

The question is, who are the most athletic DTs in the 310-320 lb range? One of my sleeper picks was Akiem Nicks of Regina at 6'5", 324 lbs, 4.98 40 speed, who needs to be coached up. I do like Brandon Thompson at 34 though, I would not be disappointed whatsoever if we went with him.

Instead of looking for the next Haloti Ngata, get those athletic guys in the middle that will shed blocks and make life difficult for O-linemen. So, go for that secondary help in round 2, get the steal or project at NT with a slightly smaller (310-320 lb range) but more athletic D-lineman in rounds 3 or 4, IMO.