Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would it be the worst thing if?

BProland85

Because almost any coach could have that record with Andrew Luck and a weak division. Put him on any team in the AFC south in 2012 and they still win at least 10 games. It's evidenced by the constant low rankings of the defense and getting thrashed by elite teams. Grigson deserves some blame but not being able to close out close games and getting blown out is on Pagano. What good coach loses to a Brock Osweiler led Texans with a 14 point lead going into the half?

But it's not another coach is it? I deal in facts, not your opinion.

It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the Colts defense was as bad as any team in the NFL the last two seasons. We couldn't stop the run and average QBs could throw a five yard pass that would turn into a 20 yard gain at will. No linebacker play and no pass rush. That is a disaster for any head coach.

What does it say when the safeties and cornerbacks have to make the majority of the tackles?

You can point the finger at Pagano all you want to but without seeing why this team went two 8-8 seasons is on you. Our QB got pounded into the turf and also had a less than average running game.

This team had a lot more problems than Pagano.

Now that we seem to have a GM that actually brings players in the coaches want that fits into their system I will venture to guess we will see an improvement in this team.

No head coach in the league can coach players who don't have the talent. If you cant see the lack of talent where talent is needed I am sorry to inform you that maybe you are looking at the wrong thing.

I hear what you're saying. But as I said they both deserve blame. Pagano is just as responsible for 8-8 as Grigson. Plus where do we draw the line?

Many people here still don't think Grigson was as bad as some fans make him out to be and whenever the Colts did good against teams like Denver, the Packers, etc... we sung the praises of how good the roster was. But now we remove Grigson from the equation and point the finger at Pagano, and all of a sudden everyone is singing a different tune. We can't smash the Bengals and Broncos in the playoffs and sing the praises of the defense and rest of the roster, but then say Pagano had nothing to work with when things go South.

The roster wasn't bad when we swept the Titans. But we get swept by the Texans (Top 5 defense aside) and it's not the coach it's the talent. We beat the Packers with the same roster and no one says anything, but lose to London against an awful Jags team and that's not the coach? Grigson and Pagano are two sides of the same coin IMO. Defending Pagano to the extent that some do is grasping at straws. I'm the biggest Grigson detractor out here, but even I know that there were games where it wasn't about the talent, it was about the coaching. Better talent isn't going to make Pagano coach better.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bottom line is that when a team does not win, it's a team effort and can't be blamed on any single aspect of the team.  Last year the defense was woeful, but the offensive line was nothing to get excited about .  When you don't have a dominant line, your playcalling has to adjust to avoid longer developing routes, to provide the QB more outlets for quick passes, and to use more deception in the running game, i.e., running out of passing formations, play action, etc.  That didn't happen.  It was a team failure.  This year, the line is healthy and if they can stay that way, hopefully they will be more consistent if not dominant.  That will go a long way toward making the offense more potent...but that defense has to keep the offense in the game.  Lots of unknowns....