Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Report: Colts explored trade for Sean Payton

RockThatBlue

4 hours ago, ztboiler said:

Yep.  We are pretty much saying and feeling similar things, with different points of emphasis.  

To me, Irsay had no choice but to back Pagano for 2017 with a purposeful comment if he wanted to retain the option given how the off season has panned out.  If he didn't say it now, he might as well fire him, and he clearly doesn't want to be backed into that corner yet.

I don't really agree with the bolded, though. When Irsay fired Polian, he didn't commit to Caldwell. He said he was "under evaluation." Yet, when Grigson got hired, they made a significant effort to find a way to keep Caldwell, including working on a DC pairing that probably would have saved Caldwell's job. End of the day, about a week after Grigson was hired, Caldwell was fired. But it was obvious all along -- and Irsay's comments since have reinforced it -- that he really liked and wanted to keep Caldwell. And even then, he didn't commit to him when Polian was fired or when Grigson was hired.

In this case, I don't think Irsay had no choice. He could have said Pagano was "under evaluation," just like he did with Caldwell. He could have expressed that he thinks Pagano will be the coach, but that no final decisions have been made yet. There's a pattern for that, not only when Irsay hired Grigson and held off on the Caldwell decision, but also when the Lions hired Quinn and held off on the Caldwell decision. 

End of the day, Irsay is the owner. He can change his mind and tell everybody to get over it, just like he did with the 'untied' comment. He's not backed into any corner, no matter what. Just like if I tell my daughter we're eating leftovers for dinner, but then I come home with a pizza, if she asks 'what about leftovers?' I'll say 'I changed my mind, do you not want this pizza??' Same thing with Irsay, even though I think he committed to Pagano in 2017, he could still change his mind. And even if he had been more noncommittal, he could have come back and said 'Pagano is staying,' and that would be that.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't really agree with the bolded, though. When Irsay fired Polian, he didn't commit to Caldwell. He said he was "under evaluation." Yet, when Grigson got hired, they made a significant effort to find a way to keep Caldwell, including working on a DC pairing that probably would have saved Caldwell's job. End of the day, about a week after Grigson was hired, Caldwell was fired. But it was obvious all along -- and Irsay's comments since have reinforced it -- that he really liked and wanted to keep Caldwell. And even then, he didn't commit to him when Polian was fired or when Grigson was hired.

In this case, I don't think Irsay had no choice. He could have said Pagano was "under evaluation," just like he did with Caldwell. He could have expressed that he thinks Pagano will be the coach, but that no final decisions have been made yet. There's a pattern for that, not only when Irsay hired Grigson and held off on the Caldwell decision, but also when the Lions hired Quinn and held off on the Caldwell decision. 

End of the day, Irsay is the owner. He can change his mind and tell everybody to get over it, just like he did with the 'untied' comment. He's not backed into any corner, no matter what. Just like if I tell my daughter we're eating leftovers for dinner, but then I come home with a pizza, if she asks 'what about leftovers?' I'll say 'I changed my mind, do you not want this pizza??' Same thing with Irsay, even though I think he committed to Pagano in 2017, he could still change his mind. And even if he had been more noncommittal, he could have come back and said 'Pagano is staying,' and that would be that.

"Hello.     I'm from Child Protective Services.     I understand that you're feeding your child pizza when she could be having leftovers?!      Is this true?     What do you have to say for yourself?     Would you like to call your lawyer now or later?"          :thinking:

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Certainly - no real quibble there.  I'm not married to any points of fact here, because they're difficult to come by.

To me, this differs from the Caldwell situation and so does Irsay's approach.  He's already damaged Pagano's credibility to coach his own team by saying nothing for the last 3 weeks...so if he says Pagano is under further evaluation it does make it materially harder to keep him.