Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots to Switch to 4-3 Defense

Andy

Non-factor. Patriots played plenty of 4-3 last year and in 2009 played out of a 4-3 base to suit the strength of the players on their roster

If there's one coach who's well versed in switching up his fronts based on the situation it's Bill Belichick - he loves players who are versatile

I do wonder where their edge pass-rush will come from out of a 4-3 however but their interior rush from Haynesworth and Wilfork will be devastating.

Non-factor. Patriots played plenty of 4-3 last year and in 2009 played out of a 4-3 base to suit the strength of the players on their roster

If there's one coach who's well versed in switching up his fronts based on the situation it's Bill Belichick - he loves players who are versatile

I do wonder where their edge pass-rush will come from out of a 4-3 however but their interior rush from Haynesworth and Wilfork will be devastating.

They are meeting with Raheem Brock today

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency?module=HP11_content_stream

They're doing this after they picked up Albert Haynesworth. I think it's good move, but it's not an easy transition. Thoughts on the switch?

Where did you hear this?

Not that it suprises me...they have run 4-3's many times...including the opening half of the colts-pats opening day game a few years back when James was running rampart.

I have seen the Pats run 3-4 and 4-3, so I don't think this is a big deal. Belichick's defenses are really fluid, he changes them up a lot based on what players he has in the game. He doesn't ask his players to play in the system, he adjusts the system to fit his players' strengths.

I like the transition because Peyton sometime struggles in identifying what the LBs are doing in a 3-4 scheme. What I don't like is all of the bigger bodies they are getting for their D line....I saw today on the NFL.com free agency tracker that Raheem Brock was visiting the Pats now.

I like the idea, honestly. Peyton always seems to struggle against the 3-4. :whiteflag:

his struggles with the 3-4 ended in th 2nd half of the 06 AFCC.

i heard a reporter here in boston say the Pats lined up in a 4-3 over 50% of the time last year. Belichick has always gone out of his way to dispell the notion they are a "3-4 team"

they've alwas had 3-4 personnel but played both. it seems this year they have 4-3 personnel ad i still expect them to play both

They will play both. I don't really see how anyone could like this move based off of their opinions of whether or not Peyton struggles with the 3-4. If that is where he struggles then that's how Bill will plan against him, and adding de-linemen won't change that. But, seriously, the Pats were 11th in run defense last year I believe...does anyone think they won't be 1st this year?