Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Josh Norman a free agent

I did not know you could do that. I guess there is a deadline for signing it, and after that it can be pulled?

Panthers were not happy he did not sign it, and was sitting out OTC's until he had a new deal. Panthers were smart I believe. Norman is either 30 or 31 and a new contract, unless for 2-3 years depending on structure would probably be worth it. Now the question is, who will pay, I mean overpay him and sign him long term?

1 hour ago, loudnproudcolt said:

I did not know you could do that. I guess there is a deadline for signing it, and after that it can be pulled?

Panthers were not happy he did not sign it, and was sitting out OTC's until he had a new deal. Panthers were smart I believe. Norman is either 30 or 31 and a new contract, unless for 2-3 years depending on structure would probably be worth it. Now the question is, who will pay, I mean overpay him and sign him long term?

He is 28

2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

He is 28

Yeah I had the age wrong. He was an extremely late bloomer. Regardless you would be paying for someone who wants top dollar, and the length of any contract is going to take him into his 30's. I also am leery of guys who have only had one good year. It reminds me of guys who are great in contract years, get their money, and don't reach that peak again. I do think Norman has a very physical attitude which helps teams. I enjoyed seeing him getting under Beckham's skin last year.

The other little tidbit which bothers me a bit, is why did Carolina just let him go. Teams just do not pull franchise tag tenders away. They had until July 15th. They could even tried to trade him. i doubt you would have had any takers. I will be surprised if he gets top money. Only a few teams still have that kind of cap space left, Jack. being one of them. Hey if you are willing to give Malik Jackson the contract you did, why not make Norman the top paid CB in the league.

13 minutes ago, loudnproudcolt said:

Yeah I had the age wrong. He was an extremely late bloomer. Regardless you would be paying for someone who wants top dollar, and the length of any contract is going to take him into his 30's. I also am leery of guys who have only had one good year. It reminds me of guys who are great in contract years, get their money, and don't reach that peak again. I do think Norman has a very physical attitude which helps teams. I enjoyed seeing him getting under Beckham's skin last year.

The other little tidbit which bothers me a bit, is why did Carolina just let him go. Teams just do not pull franchise tag tenders away. They had until July 15th. They could even tried to trade him. i doubt you would have had any takers. I will be surprised if he gets top money. Only a few teams still have that kind of cap space left, Jack. being one of them. Hey if you are willing to give Malik Jackson the contract you did, why not make Norman the top paid CB in the league.

Without him signing the tag he isn't under contract they couldn't trade him 

36 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Without him signing the tag he isn't under contract they couldn't trade him 

Once again, did not know that. One of the reason I really like this board, is there are so many posters with great knowledge of the game. Learn something new all the time. Thanks CF12

3 hours ago, Manning1887 said:

I am surprised they could rescind the Franchise tag as well, this seems to really hurt Norman as he would have stood to sign a big time contract at the start of free agency. Now he is left to sign with whatever team still has money available. 

There are a lot of teams that could sign him if they really want to