Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What If We Keep Manning?

Flash7

I'd like to get everyone's take on this. What if we keep Manning and draft Andrew Luck with the first pick? Would this be so bad? I am aware of the amount of money spent on one position, and that we have so many holes to fill. But, let's talk this through.

Here's what I'm wondering. If Manning had played this year, what would our record have been? I think that we would have had a winning record and could have won our division and would've made it to the play offs. This tells me that we're not too far off from being a serious contender with Manning.

Moving forward, we have to address Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, our O-line, Mathis, and many positions on defense. Couldn't we re-sign Mathis, Garcon, and then look address some other key positions either through FA or the draft? I am assuming that Wayne may want to be paid like a top grade receiver. And we can do this not just this year, but over the next few years, as Manning is under a 4-year contract. We can move forward thinking that Manning gives us the best shot to win now. We will continue to re-build the team, and when Manning retires we could move forward with Luck.

For those that say Luck will not sit behind Manning, we have no proof of that. In fact, he has said that he is willing to if that is the case. I'd prefer not to turn this into a Luck thread and focus on Manning, with Luck as his eventual successor.

I basically want to know if this is possible and a safe way for the Colts to proceed.

If they do it they just have to figure out how to pay both and field a decent team. That's where your GM has to be good at managing a sallary cap. It's doable but it would be walking a tight rope at other poistions meaning that if a starter went down for the year we probably aren't going to have much behind him to replace them with. The Colts would pretty much be counting on the QB poistion to make up for a lack of talent at other spots which some could say we have done for years and have won with for years.

It's the best of both worlds at the QB spot it just means other spots on the team are probably going to suffer in the short term till you can replace them in future drafts. It would be sorta like rebuilding on the fly which is sorta what the Pacers did after they went to the final in 2000. There were a couple of years after that where they were retooling their team and they were still a playoff team but just not a championship contending. Then they turned it around and got back to the eastern conference finals and looked like they might have been on their way to a NBA title then the brawl happened. I know it's a different sport but if the Colts keep Manning and draft Luck I think that's what the model they are going to follow. Probably be a playoff team with Manning for a year or two while you reload with the talent for Luck and then try to cash in with a Super Bowl or two right at the tale end of Manning's career like the Pacers were trying to do with Miller before handing the team over to the "new" guy in the Colts case Luck or the Pacers case "O'Neal". One would just hope our "new" guy is better than the Pacers.

I'd like to get everyone's take on this. What if we keep Manning and draft Andrew Luck with the first pick? Would this be so bad? I am aware of the amount of money spent on one position, and that we have so many holes to fill. But, let's talk this through.

Here's what I'm wondering. If Manning had played this year, what would our record have been? I think that we would have had a winning record and could have won our division and would've made it to the play offs. This tells me that we're not too far off from being a serious contender with Manning.

Moving forward, we have to address Reggie Wayne, Pierre Garcon, our O-line, Mathis, and many positions on defense. Couldn't we re-sign Mathis, Garcon, and then look address some other key positions either through FA or the draft? I am assuming that Wayne may want to be paid like a top grade receiver. And we can do this not just this year, but over the next few years, as Manning is under a 4-year contract. We can move forward thinking that Manning gives us the best shot to win now. We will continue to re-build the team, and when Manning retires we could move forward with Luck.

For those that say Luck will not sit behind Manning, we have no proof of that. In fact, he has said that he is willing to if that is the case. I'd prefer not to turn this into a Luck thread and focus on Manning, with Luck as his eventual successor.

I basically want to know if this is possible and a safe way for the Colts to proceed.

This is a brilliant post, Flash777

I agree with you about Mathis and Pierre, they have to be resigned.

In regards to Reggie, if he wants to much money, its time to let him go, as sad as that will be.

And I agree totally about the #18/#12 Being on the same team thing, I dont see why that couldnt work.

OP, I think this can work. Irsay has made it clear multiple times that if Peyton is healthy to play, he will be a Colt next season. He has also addressed selecting a QB with a high pick in the draft. Irsay is not like his father; he is willing to spend money for this team and for its players.

There are too many Chicken Little types on this board, who think the sky is falling. Let's look at this realistically. I would argue that the WR position is fine the way it is, even if Wayne is not re-signed (he is getting older, and look at Marvin Harrison). Garcon is getting better each game as that deep threat, and (God willing) if Austin Collie abstains from any more helmet to helmet concussion-type hits, he is one of the best slot receivers in the league. (Personally, looking at the two plays in which Collie got hurt in 2010, playcalling led to those injuries IMO-- dangling a pass into triple coverage where Collie was bound to be hit).

At the tight end position, we have Clark, who was not up to his usual "6 foot 3, 252 pounds slot receiver on the line" type play. However, Jacob Tamme is younger and has dislayed some good hands for us in clutch situations. Brody Eldridge, who was drafted to be a blocking TE, demonstrated his catching ability this season when Clark was injured.

At RB, Donald Brown has greatly improved, and (hopefully) is realizing his potential as a speedy runningback. I also would not give up on Delone Carter just yet. He had a few fumbles on the season, but he may be another bruiser within a season or two. Joe Addai (I love ya, Joe, but) unfortunately seems much more injury prone than our other backs. However, this may be due to inept training staff. With this house cleaning and the reports that Grigson will be meeting with each of the inner staff members, it will be interesting to see how injuries are taken into account.

I believe that CB and FS/SS are definitely positions which should be addressed via draft and (if there is money) FA. Our LB corps are young and dangerous IMO (Conner and Angerer and Simms). Angerer is like an unknown Clay Matthews (who, ironically, plays on the worst-rankled defense in the NFL).

Sorry to turn this into an essay, but the bottom line is that I agree with your argument, OP. People argue that tying up so much money in one position is asinine, but look at the rest of the team. Peyton got us to a division title last season with people like Tamme, Blair White, and Donald Brown. We have some underrated talent on this squad. Heck, with the right coaching, who is to say we face the "dark ages" for the next few years? I think that liquidating the coaching staff is the first right move. Gotta stay optimistic! :blueshoe:

This is a brilliant post, Flash777

I agree with you about Mathis and Pierre, they have to be resigned.

In regards to Reggie, if he wants to much money, its time to let him go, as sad as that will be.

And I agree totally about the #18/#12 Being on the same team thing, I dont see why that couldnt work.

LOVE your sig, man! lmao

How about this...

IF Peyton Manning is healthy, I say we can try to trade the first round pick to a team in desperate needs for (i.e. Washington Redskins) for mutiple first round picks for future years. Dan Snyder is the next Al Davis and we might be able to pull a great deal. And even if Luck turns out to be great, he would be in the NFC, so I don't think it would hurt us that bad. And Washington is in a pretty tough division and still have to face giants, cowboys, and eagles twice a year so we would have chance to have high draft picks for future year.

We can start rebuilding for the post-Manning era with the draft picks, while Peyton gives us the chance to compete for the Superbowl at the same time. There's always gonna be a good QB in the draft, may not be as good as Andrew Luck, but we can improve other positions and draft a qb later round of this year or next year to learn under Peyton Manning.

I know people don't want to pass on Andrew Luck, but I just think that this could be a better option instead of just releasing Peyton Manning for nothing.

Just my thoughts....

How about this...

IF Peyton Manning is healthy, I say we can try to trade the first round pick to a team in desperate needs for (i.e. Washington Redskins) for mutiple first round picks for future years. Dan Snyder is the next Al Davis and we might be able to pull a great deal. And even if Luck turns out to be great, he would be in the NFC, so I don't think it would hurt us that bad. And Washington is in a pretty tough division and still have to face giants, cowboys, and eagles twice a year so we would have chance to have high draft picks for future year.

We can start rebuilding for the post-Manning era with the draft picks, while Peyton gives us the chance to compete for the Superbowl at the same time. There's always gonna be a good QB in the draft, may not be as good as Andrew Luck, but we can improve other positions and draft a qb later round of this year or next year to learn under Peyton Manning.

I know people don't want to pass on Andrew Luck, but I just think that this could be a better option instead of just releasing Peyton Manning for nothing.

Just my thoughts....

Well if you release Manning it won't be for nothing, you save 6m against the cap I believe so that is one incentivie to release him IF the Colts have to. But besides that, you just don't pass up on a QB like Andrew Luck. The Colts will still be good with Manning and Luck but like someone stated earlier, some of the other spots will suffer short term because it would handicap the franchise in some way. I hope Grigson proves me wrong.

How about this...

Just my thoughts....

It's a very valid argument to want to trade the pick for a stock pile of draft picks. It sure would help to build the team at a more rapid pace. But I feel that we would be leveraging our future for gratification now. I know that there will be other great QBs coming out of the draft. What I don't know is our ability to get that next great QB. We may not have the first pick again. It just so turns out that this year is a fluke, we get the first pick, and coinsidentaly the best college prospect since Manning is available.

If we trade the pick, we could definitley build a more balanced team. What I am afraid of is being a team like the Jets that seam to have all of the pieces but are missing a Super Bowl Caliber QB.

It's a very valid argument to want to trade the pick for a stock pile of draft picks. It sure would help to build the team at a more rapid pace. But I feel that we would be leveraging our future for gratification now. I know that there will be other great QBs coming out of the draft. What I don't know is our ability to get that next great QB. We may not have the first pick again. It just so turns out that this year is a fluke, we get the first pick, and coinsidentaly the best college prospect since Manning is available.

If we trade the pick, we could definitley build a more balanced team. What I am afraid of is being a team like the Jets that seam to have all of the pieces but are missing a Super Bowl Caliber QB.

Thats a great point and why I'm against trading the #1 pick, how often does a team get the #1 pick? How often does a team get the #1 pick with a prospect like Andrew Luck sitting there? Rare

And what if Manning is not 100% healthy in 7 short weeks? He's not 100% now and that date is fast approaching. Do you give a 28 million dollar bonus to Manning on the CHANCE that he will fully recover? That's a huge gamble and a big chunk of change that could be used to improve in other areas. That's why I think they are headed in the direction of releasing him. I hope he plays with Luck as backup but shouldn't we have heard some news of profound improvement in his recovery by now? If I were Peyton and my arm was close to normal arm strength I would be shouting from the rooftops that I will be back. No news in a long time on his recovery is what really concerns me and March 8 is practically right around the corner.

And what if Manning is not 100% healthy in 7 short weeks? He's not 100% now and that date is fast approaching. Do you give a 28 million dollar bonus to Manning on the CHANCE that he will fully recover? That's a huge gamble and a big chunk of change that could be used to improve in other areas. That's why I think they are headed in the direction of releasing him. I hope he plays with Luck as backup but shouldn't we have heard some news of profound improvement in his recovery by now? If I were Peyton and my arm was close to normal arm strength I would be shouting from the rooftops that I will be back. No news in a long time on his recovery is what really concerns me and March 8 is practically right around the corner.

If Manning is not healthy, then that drastically changes the picture. We would be forced to move ahead without him. Irsay paid Manning this year in hopes that we can evaluate his recovery. I doubt that if Manning isn't healthy enough to play next season, that Irsay would pay his salary and bonus for an additional year just to find out if he has recovered.

What we have been hearing from Archie and Irsay is the term "If he is healthy..." I was hoping to hear a more definate tone from them in regards to Manning's health, especially as we approach March 8th. This has me really worried.

If Manning is not healthy, then that drastically changes the picture. We would be forced to move ahead without him. Irsay paid Manning this year in hopes that we can evaluate his recovery. I doubt that if Manning isn't healthy enough to play next season, that Irsay would pay his salary and bonus for an additional year just to find out if he has recovered.

What we have been hearing from Archie and Irsay is the term "If he is healthy..." I was hoping to hear a more definate tone from them in regards to Manning's health, especially as we approach March 8th. This has me really worried.

Me too. A lot of posters here want to make a logical jump that he will be fully recovered. That is far from a given. Especially by March 8. It's that "ticking deadline" that should have everybody worried.

Good point, Jets are a great example of team that is qb away from being a superbowl contender. I just thought that we can be different because we can groom a qb under Manning. And I say Manning will be more willing to teach someone knowing that he can still be a starter until his contract expires.

As much as I hate to pass on Luck, I would hate even more seeing Peyton being let go by the team this way. I wouldn't trade our 1st pick overall for little in return, but I think it's definately something to be considered if we can pull a 3-1st rd picks or 2-1st rounders coupled with few early round picks.

And I say Washington is a great team to deal with, because they need a qb and they dont' have an actual gm, which means it will be likely that Dan Snyder can get caught up in all the 'once in a lifetime qb' thing that ESPN makes it out to be and give us a really really great deal. =)