Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Center has to be a priority

byrddawg

23 hours ago, byrddawg said:

I have continued to state that Andrew Luck deserves as good as center as Peyton Manning had

Where is the next Jeff Saturday?

Free Agents   Look at Chris Hubbard of the Steelers or Patrick Lewis of the Seahawks and there are 21 more

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/center/

Who is the best college prospect?

I like Nick Martin from the Fighting Irish (brother plays for Cowboys)  or Ryan Lewis Crimson Tide and there are others

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016C.php

We must get better at this position before are o-line will get any better   and they are in the right rounds

IMO i think we should grab a Proven Center in Free Agency. Id rather get a guy where you know what you are gonna get out of him at this level than grab a Rookie via draft and it doesnt pan out. 

I don't know that Alex Mack is the answer or not, but we need to invest in the O-Line for certain. Grigson must've burnt his "PROTECT 12" note. His whole *ic thinking of finding a Center as an UDFA needs to change. We definitely need a Center and Guard. Harrison doesn't seem to understand stunts and blocking assignments, and Holmes doesn't seem to have enough power. 

Mack, and Boone would be huge upgrades on our line. 

I'm still not sold on Good at RT, but he wasn't bad especially for being a 7th rounder. 

I said it when we drafted Luck and now it's four years later without one.  We need a center very badly. I wanted to draft one the year Luck was selected so they could develop together, unfortunately that was not the case. They can draft one this year or sign Alex Mack, but Grigson better not think he's smarter than everyone else and draft one on day three.  This draft and offseason will be incredibly important and if they don't get real protection for Andrew Luck, don't be surprised if he doesn't resign with the Colts. 

3 minutes ago, Corndog said:

I said it when we drafted Luck and now it's four years later without one.  We need a center very badly. I wanted to draft one the year Luck was selected so they could develop together, unfortunately that was not the case. They can draft one this year or sign Alex Mack, but Grigson better not think he's smarter than everyone else and draft one on day three.  This draft and offseason will be incredibly important and if they don't get real protection for Andrew Luck, don't be surprised if he doesn't resign with the Colts. 

Yeah after watching Peyton/Saturday for over a decade it is important having a Center your franchise QB can rely on.

22 hours ago, Carlos Danger said:

There are a few good FA centers that might be available. I think age is an issue when looking at FA centers, considering that we want a guy who can play with Luck for years in the future.

Normally I'd say that center is a very draftable position comparatively. There are bound to be mid/late round prospects that fit the bill. I am hesitant, though because Grigs has whiffed at center before and the rumors about him overriding Chuck (with regard to personnel)at the position in the past. 

At any rate, it's a top 3 need, imo. 

1.Edge

2.Corner

3.Center

I would agree with this, these are the 3 biggest needs followed by a shout IIL and a young RB. Also remenber EVERY TE on the Colts roster is a free agent, EVERY one other than the practice squad guy! Center is important but Grigson is reluctant to admit mistakes sometimes, I be taking about Holmes!

18 hours ago, Jdubu said:

The problem with your idea is that trying to get an olineman on the upswing and into their prime in the era we are in now is near impossible. As bad as teams are with their own olines, nobody is cutting loose of a young promising starter in their prime IMO. You almost have to be determined to draft your own prospect and make sure he develops into a real NFL starter or your QB gets killed. We have 2 legit starters on the oline in Costanzo and Mewhort. We have what looks to be a promising surprise starter in the making at RT with Good but he needs more refining during the offseason and into the preseason to know what we really have with him but Reitz can do just enough if he doesn't fly early on. We really badly need to hit on a center this year without fail and he has to start day 1. Thornton is serviceable and could perhaps flourish with a competent quality starter at center

Spot on.
 The best thing would be to draft a center. A guy to play with Andrew for the next 8 plus years.
 Is he in this draft?  idk
 How about hiring Saturday to evaluate all prospects, FA`s and trade possibilities.
 It would seem wise to keep Irsay/Grigson as far away from the search as possible!
 JMO of course.

3 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I don't know that Alex Mack is the answer or not, but we need to invest in the O-Line for certain. Grigson must've burnt his "PROTECT 12" note. His whole *ic thinking of finding a Center as an UDFA needs to change. We definitely need a Center and Guard. Harrison doesn't seem to understand stunts and blocking assignments, and Holmes doesn't seem to have enough power. 

Mack, and Boone would be huge upgrades on our line. 

I'm still not sold on Good at RT, but he wasn't bad especially for being a 7th rounder. 

Not 100% sold on Good either but the guy for a rookie from a small school held his own? I would like to see a little more. He is certainly big, just to get around him you better pack a lunch its going to be a long journey!!