Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirk Farentz As Hc? Paul K Thinks... Maybe?

John Dee

interesting interview with JMV... if already posted please do the right thing....

http://www.1070thefa...s.aspx?PID=2161

I realy think KF would be a very good choice for HC, if JC is let go.....

Well it's an offical NFL off-season. Every year his name comes up for NFL openings. He's yet to take one or even be offered one as far as I know yet his name always comes up.

Well it's an offical NFL off-season. Every year his name comes up for NFL openings. He's yet to take one or even be offered one as far as I know yet his name always comes up.

yep, I know... he had a son at Iowa playing football... but I think he has graduated. I really like Kirk F, and if he was hired I would not be disappointed. He is a very "nuts and bolts" kinda guy. Strong OL and running game and strong up front on D..

And he has won kinda BIG @ IOWA..... not an easy place to win at.

OH, and he pumps his kids into the NFL yearly on the OL... I would not mind this at all.....

Probobly wont happen though...

I am an Iowa Hawkeye fan and I just cannot see KF becoming the head coach of the Colts. I do agree he is an excellent offensive line coach (that was his position when he was with Baltimore) His son graduates this year. It would be hard to lure him away from Iowa much like trying to lure Coach K away from Duke for an NBA job.

Why would he want this job? He gets paid like 4 million a year to get Iowa to 6-9 wins and they are more than happy to pay it. The fans love him, there is little pressure, and he had made a niche there for himself.

I have no idea why you would take a pay cut to come to a rebuilding NFL franchise.

That being said I am not sure why the Colts would want him. I understand we have drafted about 10 kids from Iowa each year, but does he even have any NFL experience? its not like the top tier college coaches have a great deal of successs transitioning without speinding time as an NFL assistant. Carrol is about the msot successful lately and he isnt exactly lighting it up in Seattle.

Why would he want this job? He gets paid like 4 million a year to get Iowa to 6-9 wins and they are more than happy to pay it. The fans love him, there is little pressure, and he had made a niche there for himself.

I have no idea why you would take a pay cut to come to a rebuilding NFL franchise.

That being said I am not sure why the Colts would want him. I understand we have drafted about 10 kids from Iowa each year, but does he even have any NFL experience? its not like the top tier college coaches have a great deal of successs transitioning without speinding time as an NFL assistant. Carrol is about the msot successful lately and he isnt exactly lighting it up in Seattle.

Some people contrary to belief like to succeed in every way and though Iowa may seen him as a god and he has little reason to leave for monitary reasons, success at the NFL level is different than success at the college level. Sometimes people just like to keep challenged and motivated instead of sitting in the same job being comfortable. He may or may not need to increase his life challenge but it isn't exactly out of the realm of possibility to do so. Could he fail? Yep, but that is something he would have to calculate into his decision. If he has made 4 mil/yr for a bit, the NFL would pay him solid money as well and if successful, that rate goes up and so does his perks. If he flops, he makes 10+mill for 3+ seasons in the NFL and could always go back to coaching in the college ranks somewhere after if he so desired. I would think 10 mil would easily allow him to continue his normal lifestyle in the event he flopped plus surely he has banked cash.

You are right though, why jump when you have everything in hand and are on the Iowa pedastal except personal challenge.

I don't see this happening, I used to live in eastern Iowa, and when the Hawkeye season was over they would fill up the Cedar Rapids Gazette with stories about maybe Ferentz leaving for the NFL(Browns,Jaguars,etc.) and every time he wouldn't but, he would get a raise. He gets paid big money for basically 1 great season (2003).