Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question for all you Talent Scouts

Christian McCaffrey,

When this kid comes out are his skills going to translate to the big stage of the NFL.

I was totally blown away by what he showed this year...

just love it when the "little guy" does well against the giants that play this game.

Thanks for your opinions.

When I watch Christian McCaffrey play, he reminds me of a better version of Danny Woodhead. McCaffrey is versatile out of the backfield the way Woodhead is, but McCaffrey can run between the tackles with an underrated toughness also. With that said, he needs to go to a system in which he can play the Woodhead role, while having another RB on the team as the bruiser.

Reggie Bush, just slightly less explosive. Elite quickness, quality speed, works hard, smart, tough, versatile, all the intangibles. I want him to be a Colt. 

What he can't do is carry the ball up the middle 15 times a game. Get him in space, line him up at the slot, throw him screen passes (whoops, we can't manage that!), etc. Not a power back. He'll find holes inside the tackles, but you don't want to run him through all those big boys all game long. He's a change back. I don't know if he can protect the QB, but that might play a role in what packages you use him in.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

Reggie Bush, just slightly less explosive. Elite quickness, quality speed, works hard, smart, tough, versatile, all the intangibles. I want him to be a Colt. 

What he can't do is carry the ball up the middle 15 times a game. Get him in space, line him up at the slot, throw him screen passes (whoops, we can't manage that!), etc. Not a power back. He'll find holes inside the tackles, but you don't want to run him through all those big boys all game long. He's a change back. I don't know if he can protect the QB, but that might play a role in what packages you use him in.

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Bush is more than slightly explosive over McCaffrey. The elusiveness and shifty moves Bush displayed is something I haven't seen before until he came along. He was simply a special athlete coming out of USC. McCaffrey could be a harder worker though and I think he will last longer in the NFL if used properly.

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:
29 minutes ago, Superman said:

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Bush is more than slightly explosive over McCaffrey.

Thanks Supes!  I too would love to see him a Colt.

BP respect your opinion too!

1 minute ago, BProland85 said:

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I think Bush is more than slightly explosive over McCaffrey.

Maybe; Bush is one of the most explosive college football players of all time. 

But McCaffrey is plenty explosive:

CourteousBlondHagfish.gifMcCaffrey2.gifMcCaffrey2.gifMcCaffrey.gif5MbjJho.gif

You can also see the elite quickness in those clips. He was my Heisman choice. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

My thoughts exactly on the kid. But ya know, he is white so you'll have a lot of people who compare him to Danny Woodhead or Rex Burkhead or any other white running back. The guy looks like a lot better runner than Woodhead to me.

If we're going strictly by race,  there is no other white running back to compare him to.   Christian is better than all of them, except maybe Craig James,  but he was bigger.   Not the same type of running back.

On my Stanford site someone tossed out the name Giovanni Bernard of Cincy,  and that's not a bad comparison.

I'm fine with saying he's a much, MUCH better Danny Woodhead, or a very poor man's Reggie Bush.   His game is similar to aspects of their respective games.

I don't see him as a Julian Edelman.    Don't think he's a full-time receiver.   But out of the backfield he's a very good receiver.      He's a very good return-man.    Great on kick-offs,  very good on punts.

On pass blocking, he's willing.    He's probably sub-5'11" and roughly between 200-205.    But I doubt it's going to be a strength.    

He can turn pro after next year and come out for the 2017 draft.    The question is -- will he?    Or will he stay in school and get his degree?     My instincts say he turns pro and goes back to school in the off-season for the degree.     I think that's what his parents will tell him.

I think, at this point,  he projects to go either in the bottom of the 2nd R or the top of the 3rd.    Of course, that could change depending on how the 2016 season goes.........?

I would love to have McCaffrey, the only problem is he would be a slot guy, and we just drafted another guy this year in the 1st round for that role. It is not a position of need, plus he is going to go in the first two rounds. The one thing I do not want to see is the Patriots take him. He is the perfect player for Brady. Now you can argue he fills the same spot Edelman does, but he is younger, and think about chasing both of them. Regardless, he is going to be a good player at the next level, but we have greater needs.

To me he looks like a pass catching back. Reminds me of Danny Woodhead (and no not just because hes a white RB). Quick, agile and explosive. He needs to find a system where he can play the Woodhead/Sproles role of the change of pace back.

I like him though.

7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

As an offensive weapon I compare him to Tavon Austin. They play different positions but he has that type of play making ability. Can help in the run or passing game 

Ideal Punt or kick returner too. Denard Robinson is also a good comparison.

He's more polished than either Austin or Robinson, for sure. Bigger than Austin, too.