Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

It's all about the jerseys.

Colttodd18

During the Polian years I would open my closet on Sundays and had to decide on which jersey to wear. Manning, James, Saturday,Clark, Harrison, Wayne, Sanders, Brakett, Bethea, Powers, Garçon.

Now I open the closet door and I have Luck, TY and Allen

My point is look at all the home grown talent we had during the Polian era and under Grigson we only have a few star players we drafted or developed. This is our problem. We have a ton of mediocre veterans signed from other teams and no young talent. This will bite us once Luck signs his next contract.

Manning was drafted in 1998.  Jerraud Powers was drafted in 2009.  You're comparing 10+ years of players from the old regime with the current regime going into their 4th year.  If you're going to compare jerseys and homegrown talent, you should at least give this new regime the same amount of time to develop guys

And when he started to build his team, I believe Bill Polian signed Chad Bratzke, Chad Cota, and traded for Tyron Poole, and a little later signed fat Cory Simon. 

I think most would say that veteran FA signings are a stop gap approach to building a team, but it's sometimes unavoidable.