Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Hill gets steeper as time is running out for Vick Ballard

TKnight24

You are not serious with your post? There are 31 teams that will not win the SB this year. Most of these are perennial cellar dwellers. Are you telling me that they have drafted well, evaluated their players well and made good decisions? Plezzzz! So you make a bad decision or two, maybe three and draft some bums (as happens all the time) you just stick with them for the duration of their contract to save face and not admit that you made a mistake? Wow, that is some way of doing things.... but apparently happens all the time?. Tell that one to the Browns!

You can think what you want but open your eyes at this .... from Sunday's game .... Tipton 38 Snaps, Robinson 27 Snaps, Toure 12 Snaps and Varga 4 Snaps. That is exactly how things have gone since day one of camp. Obviously nothing has changed. Is this because Charlie and Pep are so good at evaluating talent that they don't even have to put them on the field, game or practice? Just look at history .... ha.ha ha! What kind of positional competition is this? If you tell me that Tipton played better than Varga and Toure despite having 10x as many reps and playing with the 1's, then I guess I am completely blind. With Toure I am not exactly sure what Pep and Charlies problem is but with Varga it can only be one thing and that is his skin color as that kid can flat out play and has all the physical tools to do it. Is this the way to build the best team .... you tell me. Hate to say it but Karma is a *!

OHHHH, I SEE... that WHITE ON WHITE RACISM.  I forgot all about that.  (I haven't gotten to see much of Varga, so I totally did not realize that he was white)

We have a number of UDFA that are white or black.  Whalen is a good example.  He has been signed, released, re-signed, etc. etc. etc.  He had a history with Luck of course, but nonetheless he is a white WR, or should I say, a white skill position player.

As to snap quantity, Tipton was a carry over from last year.  A guy that did a few things against opposing teams bests.  He's not a world beater, but neither is Varga.  And he is more a known quantity than Varga.

All I can say is, getting your panties in a bunch about ANY UDFA is a waste of emotion.  Few and far between are the UDFA that make a 53 man roster.  Teams typically sign 10-15 UDFA college players, and most keep 1 or 2 tops.

And as far as keeping a player for the duration of a contract, no that does not always happen.  Landry, Cherilus are just two examples of players that were cut prior to the end of their deals.  Guys that Grigson brought in and paid big money to.  They're certainly willing to admit their mistakes. But in terms of rookies... draft selections past the 1st round all have 4 year deals with VERY modest salaries.

We had a blowhard on here years ago who swore up and down that Mike Hart was going to be the best back the NFL had seen based on high school and college game tape.  Fact is, Mike Hart is now out of the league.  He was impressive for what he was and where we got him, but he simply didn't stand the test of time.  He had limited reps and was injured.

All I can say is, late round and UDFA players are ALL long shots.  Don't get your hopes up that Varga is going to dominate.  He could make the roster, but at best he'll be a number 4.  And just for perspective, there are 32 teams that passed on him at least 7 times each.  There's a reason he was a UDFA and will be a long shot to make the roster.  If he makes the team, GREAT.  If he doesn't, well I don't think he is a better prospect than Robinson.  Ballard at one time looked to be a REALLY solid back.  If he can rehab from his injuries, he certainly could return.  Varga is a COMPLETE unknown in the NFL.  Giving him 10 or 40 reps in the preseason won't change how much people know about him.

i'm interested in this bet.  i dont know if we could hash out the terms though.  we would have to establish a time table for the cards to pick him up by. he might also retire or go on IR.  it doesnt seem likely but he could be traded i guess as well

i'm not sure if he could end up on waiver wire either but that could also mess things up

Cards signed Chris Johnson. They are hurting for a decent RB. 

Not to mention the connection to Arians.