Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Agent of several Colts players in attendance today

TKnight24

If you do the five year extension -- six years total, including 2015 -- that's more time to hold down the cap hits early in the contract, and you can throw an option bonus in next year to spread out the signing bonus prorating. 

Do you think T.Y., given his agent's reputation, will pull an Antonio Brown (or Andre Johnson from the past) in the case of a 5 yr. extension wanting more later once the cap goes up?

Do you think T.Y., given his agent's reputation, will pull an Antonio Brown (or Andre Johnson from the past) in the case of a 5 yr. extension wanting more later once the cap goes up?

I don't know. I don't really think that's why Brown wants more. He signed two years early, before he had any real production. Three years later, he's leading the league in a bunch of categories, he's one of the most unstoppable receivers in the game, etc. And he got his bonus money a long time ago, and is now just getting salaries that aren't really in line with his standing. With three years left on his deal, who knows if he'll ever really get the chance to cash in. 

Ironically, they kind of overpaid him at the time. How the tables have turned...

As for Hilton, if we gave him near top money right now, I don't think he'd have the same gripe that Brown has right now. He already has production that would validate a big contract, so he's not going to be underpaid in two or three seasons. Certainly not to the extent Brown is now.