Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pierre Thomas Fined

CR91

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

he got fined for signing a football, putting a bow on it, and giving it to a fan? what is wrong with the nfl? seriously players cant do anything without getting fined.

It was a stupid, selfish thing to do. There is a very specific rule that says you cannot use the football as a prop. Well having a bow in your uniform and putting it on the ball after a TD is very clearly using it as a prop and it cost his team 15 yards, both of which I am sure he knew beforehand.

I think its stupid, but I dont have any say in the rules....plus He also got fined for wearing christmas colored tape for the holidays...I dont get it

They can wear pink for the whole month of october...Which I know is for a better cause, but cant wear the colors that represent a holiday?

He knew he was going to get fined before he did it. I don't see how he couldn't have been aware of it and decided the gesture was worth the fine. What I thought was funny was that he couldn't get the paper off of the bow to get to the sticky part of it and once he finally did it still wouldn't stick.

Delay of game. :)

I think its stupid, but I dont have any say in the rules....plus He also got fined for wearing christmas colored tape for the holidays...I dont get it

They can wear pink for the whole month of october...Which I know is for a better cause, but cant wear the colors that represent a holiday?

I noticed almost all of the players had some type of red and green on their socks, ankles, or shoes.

It was a stupid, selfish thing to do. There is a very specific rule that says you cannot use the football as a prop. Well having a bow in your uniform and putting it on the ball after a TD is very clearly using it as a prop and it cost his team 15 yards, both of which I am sure he knew beforehand.

selfish? he give a gift to a fan. how is that selfish?

Pierre Thomas made $3.4 mil this year and got fined $12 500. That's pocket change to him.

I think this stuff is so ridiculous. He was giving a fan the ball. You know, the fans, the people who pay for the tickets and clothing and all the merchandise from which the NFL makes money. This would be like a grocery store fining one of their employees for giving a customer a free pen. It's stupid, it's unnecessary, it takes away from the fun of the game.

The NFL - the No Fun League, thanks in large part to Goodell

selfish? he give a gift to a fan. how is that selfish?

I can't believe I have to explain this to you. It was selfish to his team - he cost them 15 yards. He could have given the ball to the fan without the bow and it would have been just fine. But he did not do that and his actions cost his team.

That is very definition of selfish. He put himself before others.

I can't believe I have to explain this to you. It was selfish to his team - he cost them 15 yards. He could have given the ball to the fan without the bow and it would have been just fine. But he did not do that and his actions cost his team.

Didnt cost them anything but 15yrd....Im sure his teammates didnt mind it, he was just giving a fan a ball....So I dont see it as selfish..

They still won! not like the 15yrds hurt them any

it was a nice gesture and its not like the team minded and its not like the saints dont have an offense to match any score

Didnt cost them anything but 15yrd....Im sure his teammates didnt mind it, he was just giving a fan a ball....So I dont see it as selfish..

They still won! not like the 15yrds hurt them any

it was a nice gesture and its not like the team minded and its not like the saints dont have an offense to match any score

I am trying to chalk this up as a generational thing in that I am probably debating this with teenagers or maybe college-aged kids. But even that does not fly because what Thomas did was inarguably selfish. He put his stunt in front of the team. The fact that they have a good enough offense to overcome the penalty or that it did not cost them the game is completely wrong-headed and franly irrelevant points.

And please do not tell me the team did not mind. You think Sean Payton was on the sidelines saying how happy he was that Thomas gift-wrapped a ball for a fan after his touchdown?

What's more is what I said earlier. Do you think the fan he gave the ball to really cared that it came with a bow? The fact is the impact is the same for the fan if he just handed the ball to them without the bow. No bow = No penalty.

It was self-centered, me-first stunt. Arguing otherwise is pointless.

I am trying to chalk this up as a generational thing in that I am probably debating this with teenagers or maybe college-aged kids. But even that does not fly because what Thomas did was inarguably selfish. He put his stunt in front of the team. The fact that they have a good enough offense to overcome the penalty or that it did not cost them the game is completely wrong-headed and franly irrelevant points.

And please do not tell me the team did not mind. You think Sean Payton was on the sidelines saying how happy he was that Thomas gift-wrapped a ball for a fan after his touchdown?

What's more is what I said earlier. Do you think the fan he gave the ball to really cared that it came with a bow? The fact is the impact is the same for the fan if he just handed the ball to them without the bow. No bow = No penalty.

wow your just as bad as goodell and yes i am a junior in college. sorry if i feel that letting the players have a little fun is wrong. you can argue that it cost the team 15 yards and whatever, but he didnt dance, he didnt fall to the ground, he didnt poise, or wear a t-shirt saying something obnoxious. he gave a lucky fan a gift for the holidays. at the end of the day its a game. if you cant have fun playing a game whats the point

The Saints love their fans. They won the game, Brees got his record, they made a fan very happy. I doubt anyone at the Saints facilities is even talking about this being an issue. The bow was just something fun to add for the holidays. Of course, it didn't have to have a bow, but the players also didn't have to have red and green tape on themselves. It was just something fun and festive. Why does it even matter? Does the bow affect the integrity of the game? Is the bow poor sportsmanship towards the opposition? Not at all, it was just a fun gesture to make a fan happy

wow your just as bad as goodell and yes i am a junior in college. sorry if i feel that letting the players have a little fun is wrong. you can argue that it cost the team 15 yards and whatever, but he didnt dance, he didnt fall to the ground, he didnt poise, or wear a t-shirt saying something obnoxious. he gave a lucky fan a gift for the holidays. at the end of the day its a game. if you cant have fun playing a game whats the point

You want to argue the merit of the rule, fine. No issue from me but there is a very well known rule right now that states using the ball as a prop is not allowed. Everyone knows it. So to plan the scenario Thomas did, he absolutely knew it would be a penalty against his team but he did it anyway. That is selfish. No other way around it.

The Saints love their fans. They won the game, Brees got his record, they made a fan very happy. I doubt anyone at the Saints facilities is even talking about this being an issue. The bow was just something fun to add for the holidays. Of course, it didn't have to have a bow, but the players also didn't have to have red and green tape on themselves. It was just something fun and festive. Why does it even matter? Does the bow affect the integrity of the game? Is the bow poor sportsmanship towards the opposition? Not at all, it was just a fun gesture to make a fan happy

That he knew would cost his team a 15 yard penalty.

You want to argue the merit of the rule, fine. No issue from me but there is a very well known rule right now that states using the ball as a prop is not allowed. Everyone knows it. So to plan the scenario Thomas did, he absolutely knew it would be a penalty against his team but he did it anyway. That is selfish. No other way around it.

usually when players use props their doing it to show off. he wasnt. so the way i see it he didnt violate a rule. thats my problem with this fine

usually when players use props their doing it to show off. he wasnt. so the way i see it he didnt violate a rule. thats my problem with this fine

The intent to show off or just gift wrap a present for a fan is meaningless. The NFL does not want its officials making the judgement call of was he trying to show off or just being a nice guy. That is why these things are very black and white. Use the ball as a prop, regardless of circumstance, will draw a penalty and a fine every time.

The intent to show off or just gift wrap a present for a fan is meaningless. The NFL does not want its officials making the judgement call of was he trying to show off or just being a nice guy. That is why these things are very black and white. Use the ball as a prop, regardless of circumstance, will draw a penalty and a fine every time.

it shouldnt be black and white. it should be a judgment call. is what thomas did the same as putting the ball, or wiping it, no which means it should be a different call.

it shouldnt be black and white. it should be a judgment call. is what thomas did the same as putting the ball, or wiping it, no which means it should be a different call.

With all due respect, that is not a very good point. The NFL positively wants to remove as much as possible any subject to interpretation calls. Did the player use the ball as a prop. Yes - penalty and subsequent fine.

There really is not even a debate to be had here unless it is after the season and the rules committee wants to address further what is allowed in celebrations.

For the purposes of what Thomas did, it is open and shut. Used the ball in a way that has been deemed illegal so a penalty and a fine were always coming the second he pulled the bow out of his uni. You can argue all you want but he very simply put himself ahead of his team.

Please. I applaud players doing things to relate better to the fans, or to make a special effort for someone who needs it, but that's not what this was about. The entire point of the bow was to bring attention to himself, it did nothing for the fan.

The rules are designed to make the players as "uniform" as possible. It's the ultimate team game. The props in the end zone (and the excessive celebrations) are simply saying "look at me, look at me". If you want that, watch professional wrestling. Genuine emotion or congratulations between players is a fine part of the game. The irrelevent efforts at self-agrandisement are an irritating and tedious waste of time that detracts from the game.

Please. I applaud players doing things to relate better to the fans, or to make a special effort for someone who needs it, but that's not what this was about. The entire point of the bow was to bring attention to himself, it did nothing for the fan.

The rules are designed to make the players as "uniform" as possible. It's the ultimate team game. The props in the end zone (and the excessive celebrations) are simply saying "look at me, look at me". If you want that, watch professional wrestling. Genuine emotion or congratulations between players is a fine part of the game. The irrelevent efforts at self-agrandisement are an irritating and tedious waste of time that detracts from the game.

its chirstmas. its not like the bow was unusual

That he knew would cost his team a 15 yard penalty.

To the team, I think it's a non-issue. They probably aren't even discussing it anymore. The Saints love connecting with their fans and I don't think Sean Payton really cares. To me, it comes down to "so what?". Yeah, it cost them 15 yards. But so what? He made a fan's Christmas, helped the team get a win which made the entire fanbase happy, and connected with the fans which is something I'm sure the league likes. They're just getting caught up in an overzealous conformity to the rules. You used the ball as a prop? Fined!! You made a fan's Christmas and helped the league connect better with the fans? Well, we're still gonna fine ya!

To the team, I think it's a non-issue. They probably aren't even discussing it anymore. The Saints love connecting with their fans and I don't think Sean Payton really cares. To me, it comes down to "so what?". Yeah, it cost them 15 yards. But so what? He made a fan's Christmas, helped the team get a win which made the entire fanbase happy, and connected with the fans which is something I'm sure the league likes. They're just getting caught up in an overzealous conformity to the rules. You used the ball as a prop? Fined!! You made a fan's Christmas and helped the league connect better with the fans? Well, we're still gonna fine ya!

Now - 5 days after the game the ended up winning by a healthy margin, it is a non-issue. But you are absolutely crazy to think that it did not tick off Payton when it happened and probably a fair share of his teammates.

Also don't give me that crap about connecting with their fans. He could have "connected" with them just as much by just handing the ball to a fan without planning the bow thing. Do you really think the fan he gave the ball to Christmas was more meaningful because it had a bow on it? In my best Chad Ochocinco voice "Child, please!"

Whether anyone agrees with the rules is beside the point. Thomas should have known it was against the rules. Heck, I knew it was against the rules and I don't know very much.

It was also premeditated. It's not like the NFL players carry bows. He brought that bow with the express purpose of doing what he did. Did it mean more to the fan that the bow was there? Maybe, maybe not. It wouldn't have made any difference to me. To be honest, if I had been that fan; I would have preferred that he had not done something that would earn a penalty for the team.

Although that penalty didn't cost the Saints a win, I would think that Sean Payton did care because there may be a game down the road where such a penalty may cost them the game. They may not be discussing it anymore, but I would bet that Payton told Thomas and the team to never do something like that again.

Now - 5 days after the game the ended up winning by a healthy margin, it is a non-issue. But you are absolutely crazy to think that it did not tick off Payton when it happened and probably a fair share of his teammates.

Also don't give me that crap about connecting with their fans. He could have "connected" with them just as much by just handing the ball to a fan without planning the bow thing. Do you really think the fan he gave the ball to Christmas was more meaningful because it had a bow on it? In my best Chad Ochocinco voice "Child, please!"

It was part of the Christmas spirit. Any other week during the year, he wouldn't have done it. This week, with the holidays and all, it was just part of the Christmas spirit. The players were allowed to wear red and green tape as part of the holidays, why shouldn't this be allowed? He isn't mocking his opponent in anyway. He does not belittle anyone. He is only doing good things for the league

It was part of the Christmas spirit. Any other week during the year, he wouldn't have done it. This week, with the holidays and all, it was just part of the Christmas spirit. The players were allowed to wear red and green tape as part of the holidays, why shouldn't this be allowed? He isn't mocking his opponent in anyway. He does not belittle anyone. He is only doing good things for the league

The players weren't allowed to wear red and green tape. Well, they were allowed; but they had to pay the consequences.

http://www.wwltv.com/news/NFL-fines-all-Saints-wearing-red-and-green-tape-against-Atlanta-136443308.html

I understand why some refer to it as the No Fun League. Many times it does seem that way. But, I view it as a way to keep things uniform and from getting out of control. The whole give an inch someone will take a mile thing. Also, I have never paid any attention. Are there other sports that allow the players to wear colored tape (or some such thing) to celebrate a holiday or to use a prop to celebrate?

When the players are allowed to wear pink, that is a decision that is made by the NFL. Even then, the players are told what they can and cannot wear that is pink. If players were allowed to wear any color they chose at any time, it could quickly get out of hand. Red and green at Christmas. Black and orange at Halloween. Red, white, and blue for Veteran's Day. Or, hey it's my birthday. I want to wear tape and draw little balloons on it. And, if the NFL looks the other way regarding tape; how long would it be before a player tried to test the water and wear different colored socks, cleats, or gloves?

Also, this sort of thing happens a lot in life. My daughter is an RN at a local hospital. She can only wear one color of scrubs made by one manufacturer. If she wears anything else, she will suffer the consequences. She would love to wear Colt's scrubs, IU scrubs, or even holiday themed scrubs. But, it is not allowed. She doesn't try to test the waters because she knows better.

Another example is a private school near my home that requires the students to wear a uniform. The decision was made to relax that dress code on the Friday before a SB (much the same as the NFL has decided to allow pink). Students are allowed to wear something that supports their team. To make it fair, it doesn't have to be any certain team or even an NFL team or pro team. But, if those students try to wear those same clothes any other day; they are going to pay the consequences.