Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

First-Pick.com Draft Grades

I didn't realize wherever a player went, he's going to always be that good, lol. I guess Richard Sherman is only a 5th round talent. It must be true since all the other gms passed on him right? Tom Brady must just be a 6th round talent. Maybe Marques Colston is just some bum WR that Drew Brees carried, I mean he has to be since the GMs passed on him til the 7th and they're always right. Tony Romo is just some undrafted bum, I guess he just wins games because of the refs cause he's on the Cowboys. An undrafted player could never be a starting qb and the gms are always right, right? My point is there are plenty of players that fall that do well in their NFL careers and when a player is rated high, usually there is a reason. He didn't fit our scheme, but a 3 round talent difference you take the risk in the 5th. GM's don't always get it right, if they did, there would be no draft steals and no real busts, because everyone would get drafted exactly where they are supposed to. Looking at a players scouting report and strengths and weaknesses really does wonders for drafting players sometimes. 

wow...just wow.  A player goes in the 5th round will always be that good?  Um, no...where did I say anything even close to resembling that?  You also realize I hope that cbssports.com, nfl.com and other media heads are wrong just as much, in fact probably much more so, than the NFL GMs.  Otherwise, Ryan Leaf would be nearing the end of his HOF career, Jamarcus Russell would be lighting it up in Oakland etc etc. 

The discussion was about draft grades given to players on draft day and that relation to where they're drafted.  Talking heads know less about individual team needs and overall talent evaluation than most NFL GMs.  Yes, there are always exceptions and steals can be found in later rounds, and busts can be found in early rounds.  It's not an exact science.  And as has been said already, it was not ONLY Ryan Grigson that passed up on Bennett...it was all 32 NFL GMs that passed on him.  So all 32 NFL GMs clearly agreed that Bennett was not a 2nd round talent despite what cbssports.com and nfl.com determined.

Without realizing it, you're proving Krunk's point.  So Draft sites gave Bennett a 2nd round great. Who cares?  32 NFL teams obviously disagree because they all passed on him.

I'm not sure this is the argument.....

I think it's far more likely that the reason Bennett was taken in the 6th round had little to do with talent.

I think it's far more likely that Bennett had (A) some type of medical condition that the media and fans don't know about but 32 NFL GM's do....   and/or (B)  that Bennett may also have a failed drug/alcohol test or some other hidden personal issue that no one knows about but the 32 NFL GM's do....

I would strongly suspect Bennetts football playing talent had little to do with why he fell as far as he did....

Then again,  I'm guessing as much as anyone else here,  but I think my pragmatic view is the most likely reason....

Just my two cents......    I'll back out now....      :peek:

I think it's far more likely that the reason Bennett was taken in the 6th round had little to do with talent.

I think it's far more likely that Bennett had (A) some type of medical condition that the media and fans don't know about but 32 NFL GM's do....   and/or (B)  that Bennett may also have a failed drug/alcohol test or some other hidden personal issue that no one knows about but the 32 NFL GM's do....

I would strongly suspect Bennetts football playing talent had little to do with why he fell as far as he did....

Then again,  I'm guessing as much as anyone else here,  but I think my pragmatic view is the most likely reason....

This is a logical and probable explanation that seems like it could be correct. I think you hit the nail on the head. I still think Bennett will be better, but if it's because of one of the two reasons above that he fell, then Parry would be the correct choice over him. If it's just because other players rose because of the combine etc..., then Bennett was probably the right decision. We'll see what Parry can do come training camp. Thanks for the logical post NewColts!

This is a logical and probable explanation that seems like it could be correct. I think you hit the nail on the head. I still think Bennett will be better, but if it's because of one of the two reasons above that he fell, then Parry would be the correct choice over him. If it's just because other players rose because of the combine etc..., then Bennett was probably the right decision. We'll see what Parry can do come training camp. Thanks for the logical post NewColts!

I'm not sure how Bennett would've fit in our defense?

I think Bennett is 6'2" and 290.     What position does he play at that size?

I believe he's a 4-3 DT and does not have a natural fit in a 3-4 scheme.

That said,   there are a lot of teams who play a 4-3.    Why they all passed on Bennett for a full 5 rounds remains a mystery....

The kid can play......

I'm not sure how Bennett would've fit in our defense?

I think Bennett is 6'2" and 290.     What position does he play at that size?

I believe he's a 4-3 DT and does not have a natural fit in a 3-4 scheme.

That said,   there are a lot of teams who play a 4-3.    Why they all passed on Bennett for a full 5 rounds remains a mystery....

The kid can play......

You are correct, he is a 4-3 DT and isn't a natural scheme fit in our defense. The talent difference is very large between the 2 IMO though and that is my argument for choosing him over Parry. I wish I knew why Bennett fell, but info like that isn't given away like that. It could be because of others rising, I don't know. I would guess he'd be a 3-4 DE, but I could be wrong. I believe he's a 4-3 DT in the 3 technique. I have him as a surprise player to the casual fan who can't tell the difference between him and the average 6th rounder. I just hope we made the right decision or at least got a good player out of Parry. I can say that Grigson is going with a player that fits our scheme, unlike Werner. So if it works, I will happily eat crow.

You are correct, he is a 4-3 DT and isn't a natural scheme fit in our defense. The talent difference is very large between the 2 IMO though and that is my argument for choosing him over Parry. I wish I knew why Bennett fell, but info like that isn't given away like that. It could be because of others rising, I don't know. I would guess he'd be a 3-4 DE, but I could be wrong. I believe he's a 4-3 DT in the 3 technique. I have him as a surprise player to the casual fan who can't tell the difference between him and the average 6th rounder. I just hope we made the right decision or at least got a good player out of Parry. I can say that Grigson is going with a player that fits our scheme, unlike Werner. So if it works, I will happily eat crow.

As a very long-time Stanford fan,  I like Parry,  but thought he'd also be a 4-3 DT in the 3-tech...

I know Dustin liked him a lot.    Honestly,   I didn't see Parry as a fit in our scheme,  we just seem to love our lineman LARGE!!

But, in the stories I've read since the draft,  it seems Pagano fell in love with Parry while watching tape of Anderson.   He has compared Parry favorably to former Ravens smallish NT Kelly Gregg.     He played the nose for Baltimore for much of his career somewhere between 295-310.

Not sure how many snaps Parry plays this year....   but I think if we try to hide him on the PS squad for the year,  I suspect some very poor team would try to steal him from the Colts late in the year....    that would be my concern....

I hope this works out for everyone....   I see 8 DL's the Colts would somehow like to keep... 

- Langford        Chapman      Jones

- Anderson       Hughes         Kerr

-                       Parry             Quarles

I hope we have all 8 DL's on the roster at the end of the 2015 season.

As a very long-time Stanford fan,  I like Parry,  but thought he'd also be a 4-3 DT in the 3-tech...

I know Dustin liked him a lot.    Honestly,   I didn't see Parry as a fit in our scheme,  we just seem to love our lineman LARGE!!

But, in the stories I've read since the draft,  it seems Pagano fell in love with Parry while watching tape of Anderson.   He has compared Parry favorably to former Ravens smallish NT Kelly Gregg.     He played the nose for Baltimore for much of his career somewhere between 295-310.

Not sure how many snaps Parry plays this year....   but I think if we try to hide him on the PS squad for the year,  I suspect some very poor team would try to steal him from the Colts late in the year....    that would be my concern....

I hope this works out for everyone....   I see 8 DL's the Colts would somehow like to keep... 

- Langford        Chapman      Jones

- Anderson       Hughes         Kerr

-                       Parry             Quarles

I hope we have all 8 DL's on the roster at the end of the 2015 season.

You are making me warm up to Parry a bit more. I think thinking about about him being in the proper scheme is making me excited as I'm a big believer in that under most circumstances. I would hate if Parry was put on the practice squad, he would most certainly get snatched up. Even the most boneheaded GM can figure out that Parry is a 5th rounder that hasn't played yet. That means his potential is unknown and unrealized. It also means that there's literally zero downside to putting a 5th rounder on your team from this year's draft for free (only at the cost of a terrible player). 

I think Kelcy Quarles will be cut TBH. I said Parry originally may, but as a 5th rounder at a relatively weak position, he'll get rope and if he stands out, it'll mean a lot comparatively speaking to other positions like WR. I would honestly get rid of quarles if we could keep the other 7 guaranteed and keep Parry off the practice squad.. We'll see what happens. Would you do the same NewColtsFan?

You are making me warm up to Parry a bit more. I think thinking about about him being in the proper scheme is making me excited as I'm a big believer in that under most circumstances. I would hate if Parry was put on the practice squad, he would most certainly get snatched up. Even the most boneheaded GM can figure out that Parry is a 5th rounder that hasn't played yet. That means his potential is unknown and unrealized. It also means that there's literally zero downside to putting a 5th rounder on your team from this year's draft for free (only at the cost of a terrible player). 

I think Kelcy Quarles will be cut TBH. I said Parry originally may, but as a 5th rounder at a relatively weak position, he'll get rope and if he stands out, it'll mean a lot comparatively speaking to other positions like WR. I would honestly get rid of quarles if we could keep the other 7 guaranteed and keep Parry off the practice squad.. We'll see what happens. Would you do the same NewColtsFan?

Honestly,   at this point,  I have no way of knowing what I'd do.....

I think we'll need to see all four pre-season games to see how this shakes out.

Parry is a great kid,  an easy kid to root for.    A former walk-on at Stanford.    That means mom and dad played his tuition/books/dorm,  etc his first year....   that's $50+k!     Not a small sum of money for one year of college.   He then earned a scholarship and worked his way into playing time.    He started his last two years....   he's a solid guy....   I just need to see him on the field to see how he fits in...    He's a guy I see shooting a lot of gaps...   not sure if he can over-power an NFL center?    Might have to survive on quickness and smarts,  hustle and desire.    Plenty of guys have succeeded in the NFL on that winning formula.    But it's easier said than done.

I guess we'll all know by September....   sorry I don't have more insight....   wish I did....    this will be one worth watching....

Honestly,   at this point,  I have no way of knowing what I'd do.....

I think we'll need to see all four pre-season games to see how this shakes out.

Parry is a great kid,  an easy kid to root for.    A former walk-on at Stanford.    That means mom and dad played his tuition/books/dorm,  etc his first year....   that's $50+k!     Not a small sum of money for one year of college.   He then earned a scholarship and worked his way into playing time.    He started his last two years....   he's a solid guy....   I just need to see him on the field to see how he fits in...    He's a guy I see shooting a lot of gaps...   not sure if he can over-power an NFL center?    Might have to survive on quickness and smarts,  hustle and desire.    Plenty of guys have succeeded in the NFL on that winning formula.    But it's easier said than done.

I guess we'll all know by September....   sorry I don't have more insight....   wish I did....    this will be one worth watching....

Preseason will definitely tell a lot. Someone may step up big that we don't expect. Heck, it may happen in training camp as well. The one big thing I want to get out of the way is to sign Smith and Anderson. Getting kind of scary at this point. I wish Grigson would take a couple of hours to spend with them and their agents and get this squared away. As long as that gets straightened out soon though, we will have one heck of a team ready. Will be keeping an eye on Parry, btw.

I'll admit, the point I was trying to make may have gotten a little muddled.  I do stick to my overall point about talent evaluation from draft sites being far inferior to that of NFL GMs and talent scouts.  That doesn't necessarily apply directly to the Bennett situation though.  With him, I was more referring to draft grades given to players by draft sites vs. those of NFL GMs.  In Bennett's case, multiple draft sites obviously gave Bennett a 2nd round draft grade.  Him not going until the 6th round is quite a bit of proof that no NFL GM gave him that high of a grade.  And obviously in determining draft grades on draft day, more than just raw talent is taken into consideration.  Medical history, current medical status, off-field issues etc etc etc.  Draft sites may or may not have access to that same type of information...I'd venture to guess they don't have access to nearly as much information as NFL GMs do.  That's why it's not uncommon for a player that draft sites grade as a 2nd round player won't go until rounds 5 or 6.  The basic point I was trying to make is that just because draft sites say a certain player should go in X round does not mean that a GM messed up big time by not taking that player.

So I did not intend to say that Bennett specifically did not have talent worthy of being taken in the 2nd round, but rather that there has to be a reason that every NFL GM passed on him for so long so saying Grigson messed up big time by not taking him is just a tiny bit unfair. :)