Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Did You Become A ColtsFan?

ColtRider

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was born and raised in Baltimore. I was born a few years before the Colts packed up. My grandfather still followed the Colts in Indy and stayed a diehard fan. As a kid I liked the Colts because Granddad did. I fell off watching football for many years until I met my husband in 2005. I remember watching the playoffs with him and seeing the Colts lose so heartbreakingly to the Steelers. Of course living in Baltimore I constantly heard the pure hatred of anything Steelers. My husband then told me the track record of the Colts in the playoffs and I sort of saw them as an underdog (though being in the playoffs constantly, they never really were). I'm a sucker for the underdog and began following them from there on.

My husband always says he would have never married me if he knew I was going to turn into a fan that bled blue since he still holds a lot of resentment to the Irsays for taking away a little boys football team. I have now become a constant, faithful fan who checks in daily on my Colts. I pay too much each year for the Sunday ticket to be banished to the bedroom to watch my Colts, but I wouldn't miss a game for the world :thmup:

I saw #19 play in one of the first games I ever watched on television (black and white, btw), back in '67.

Black and white televisions. My, oh, my. I would've never known the Colts uniform colors if it hadn't been for magazines, newspapers, and "color commentaries" (pun intended) :) from all "hearing" outsources. Didn't get a color set until 1972. Blew me away. Just made it all the more exciting to watch my favorite team play as an adolescent. Remember watching the Colts v. Packers NFLCG in 1965 and Super Bowl III and V in black/white set. Still love watching movies/tv shows in B&W. Classical, if you grew up in that era. :)

Watching Bob Sanders since 05' noticed him in 04 but he didn't play all that much but really stood out to me and made the team a lot of fun to watch been a fan ever since.

Always been a guy that loves defense and when our defense is dominant its just more enjoyable.

I miss 2007 being a top 3 defense but i have a lot of hope for this year.

Watching Bob Sanders since 05' noticed him in 04 but he didn't play all that much but really stood out to me and made the team a lot of fun to watch been a fan ever since.

Always been a guy that loves defense and when our defense is dominant its just more enjoyable.

I miss 2007 being a top 3 defense but i have a lot of hope for this year.[/quote

My kinda ColtsFan. Love all three phases of the game, though. I'm just a "defense" minded fan. Bob Sanders? A complete and total beast of a football player. Miss him sorely and the football mentality he possessed. Solid as a rock. (as many found out)

Im from the north east of the UK, I bust my knee playing rugby one year and needed something to watch on tv so i started watching the NFL and learned about the game. I initially thought Im not going to support anyone I'm just going to enjoy the game, but as I watched the 2004/2005 seasons I always found myself rooting for the Colts even though at times I did try to be neutral about things, it especially came to a head after the 2005 play off loss to the steelers and Roethlisbergers flukey fall over tackle after I'd calmed myself down from screaming and shouting at the TV, i realised I needed to stop fighting it and embrace being a Colts fan.

Since then I can count on  hand the games I haven't watched live even if in some cases Iv been up till 5 am Uk time when I have to get up at 7 for work. The highs have been brilliant especially the superbowl win with a Bears fan boss at the time. Now the Colts effect me as much as my soccer team and they are really a part of my life.

Im hoping to come over to a game in the 2016 season if all is well and finally get to be amongst the fans.

Always love reading threads on this topic.  Decided to finally cave and start an account instead of lurking in the shadows for several more years, so here goes...  Little sister of an all-conference football player and bandwagon Bears fan in the 80's, I've been a casual fan of football and most sports for as long as I can recall.  It was when I had a child in '95, however, that I started paying more attention.  As the single mother of a son and being the only parent in his life, I started doing my due diligence on any sport in which he showed an interest, so, by the time he joined youth football, I pretty much knew who the "skill" players were on the Colts because they were the team from my home state, and I could see them on the television more often than other teams, and also because I found Peyton so fascinating to watch.  When my son became a lineman, I started paying attention to them as well.  Soon enough, I realized that my boy would rather play ball than watch it, but I was hooked, and he indulged my colorful displays of fandom in our living room.  Sadly, there has been nary a soul around me that seems as interested in free agency and such, the possible exception being a coworker who is a Browns fan.  He spends a lot of time being unhappy, as you can well imagine.  As a result of my Colts-love-vacuum, I started coming here...a lot.  My son graduated last year, joined the military, and left me to be alone with my lunatic rants on game day, but I don't mind.  Sometimes, it's for the best, and my kid knows it.  He was lucky enough to be home on leave during the Steelers/Colts game last season.  After much sighing and tossing of hands on my part, my son calmly turns to my visiting parents and says, "The Colts are losing.  She needs to watch this alone."  That's my boy!  And that's my story. 

Always love reading threads on this topic.  Decided to finally cave and start an account instead of lurking in the shadows for several more years, so here goes...  Little sister of an all-conference football player and bandwagon Bears fan in the 80's, I've been a casual fan of football and most sports for as long as I can recall.  It was when I had a child in '95, however, that I started paying more attention.  As the single mother of a son and being the only parent in his life, I started doing my due diligence on any sport in which he showed an interest, so, by the time he joined youth football, I pretty much knew who the "skill" players were on the Colts because they were the team from my home state, and I could see them on the television more often than other teams, and also because I found Peyton so fascinating to watch.  When my son became a lineman, I started paying attention to them as well.  Soon enough, I realized that my boy would rather play ball than watch it, but I was hooked, and he indulged my colorful displays of fandom in our living room.  Sadly, there has been nary a soul around me that seems as interested in free agency and such, the possible exception being a coworker who is a Browns fan.  He spends a lot of time being unhappy, as you can well imagine.  As a result of my Colts-love-vacuum, I started coming here...a lot.  My son graduated last year, joined the military, and left me to be alone with my lunatic rants on game day, but I don't mind.  Sometimes, it's for the best, and my kid knows it.  He was lucky enough to be home on leave during the Steelers/Colts game last season.  After much sighing and tossing of hands on my part, my son calmly turns to my visiting parents and says, "The Colts are losing.  She needs to watch this alone."  That's my boy!  And that's my story. 

Welcome and thanks for sharing that.  Really great story!

And now you are not alone!

Welcome Aboard

Always love reading threads on this topic. Decided to finally cave and start an account instead of lurking in the shadows for several more years, so here goes... Little sister of an all-conference football player and bandwagon Bears fan in the 80's, I've been a casual fan of football and most sports for as long as I can recall. It was when I had a child in '95, however, that I started paying more attention. As the single mother of a son and being the only parent in his life, I started doing my due diligence on any sport in which he showed an interest, so, by the time he joined youth football, I pretty much knew who the "skill" players were on the Colts because they were the team from my home state, and I could see them on the television more often than other teams, and also because I found Peyton so fascinating to watch. When my son became a lineman, I started paying attention to them as well. Soon enough, I realized that my boy would rather play ball than watch it, but I was hooked, and he indulged my colorful displays of fandom in our living room. Sadly, there has been nary a soul around me that seems as interested in free agency and such, the possible exception being a coworker who is a Browns fan. He spends a lot of time being unhappy, as you can well imagine. As a result of my Colts-love-vacuum, I started coming here...a lot. My son graduated last year, joined the military, and left me to be alone with my lunatic rants on game day, but I don't mind. Sometimes, it's for the best, and my kid knows it. He was lucky enough to be home on leave during the Steelers/Colts game last season. After much sighing and tossing of hands on my part, my son calmly turns to my visiting parents and says, "The Colts are losing. She needs to watch this alone." That's my boy! And that's my story.

Loved your story. Welcome!!!!!!!

by the way, I played for KD against NH's first highschool football team in 70. And in 71 and 72, they added a running back named Randy McMillan, maybe 74? Quite the runner. Broke records at Harford Community Junior College, then transferred to Pitt. Ended up wearing #32 for our Colts! I was pulling for his comeback after the car hit him. He had much promise!

I remember Randy McMillian very well. I live very close to Harford Community College and my kids go to C . Milton Wright, which is a rival to North Harford. I coached soccer teams that have played teams from the York area, Fawn Grove, Shrewsbury , Stewartstown , etc. Small world.

That was a great read. Don't be afraid to message myself or other friends here if you want or need to. Please tell your son Thanks for his service to our country. Have fun, this is a great community.

This is a GREAT story, MotherH! I started this thread to get to know other ColtsFans backgrounds/stories. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading each and every one. As for your son, my deepest appreciation and thanks for his service to this great country. To you, seems as though you have done a wonderful job raising him as a single-parent. Unconditional love is fantastic. Thank you for posting your story.

And welcome to these forums. Most people here reflect the epitome of human kindness/caring/helpfulness/ and a definition of being a true and loyal fan of the Indianapolis Colts. Judging from your post it certainly seems we've added another.

Thanks for the warm welcomes! ...And, as soon as I eke out how to quote messages, I will. Just tried it and failed miserably. Lol. So be it. The good news is that my failure is likely to be buried under an abundance of draft threads. The timing of my foray into this new world was entirely on purpose.