Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Did You Become A ColtsFan?

ColtRider

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever since I was little I followed them. Gotta root for the hometown teams.

My families favorite team was the Bengals because they were raised in Cincy. My dad took me to a Bengals at Colts game at the RCA Dome and I have really liked the Colts ever since.

Born and raised in Scotland I first got interested in the NFL in the mid 80's. Stayed up late to watch the Bears and Giants SB wins and it sparked my interest. I remember being impressed by Walter Payton and Lawrence Taylor.I then moved with my young family to England, and mixed with sporadic coverage in the UK around that time, the game escaped me for a long spell. Then one day in 2004, my father called me, and we got talking about his bet he had on the Colts to win the Superbowl, on how they were doing pretty well, and they had a great QB. At that time I didn't even realise they showed 2 live games every Sunday. So I started watching the game all over again, took an interest in the Colts due to my father's bet, and became hooked. Pretty sure the first live game on TV I watched was a shoot-out in the Dome v Cinci. Something like a 45-35 win.My first Forum was the Indy Star, and I remember a spoof Colts Poster called Mannings Army, and that got tedious, so I then found this one (or one of the previous iterations). Phil was the principle Mod back in those days, and I remember crossing swords with GoPats and Dynasty13 back then. Still a few of the old crowd still post here today. I was never a Polian fan back then, which didn't go down too well, but we can laugh about that now. Jskinnz used to give me a hard time back then!Nearly met up with GoPats in Boston a few years ago, and just missed out on hooking up with Jskinnz, Gramz and Schwamm when I came over for the Seattle game in 2013, but my phone battery ran out as I got to the ground and it all fell apart! During the game, Jskinnz actually brought me a beer to my seat, but I was in the toilet, so he gave it to my mate to give to me and left!That's all I have. Fan for life because of a £5 bet!

That is a great story, braveheartcolt! Thanks for this, and also some history about these forums.

My brother said that he'd rather eat poop than watch football when it was my turn to choose the t.v. program. The Colts were on. Football games are longer than cartoons... It became my Sunday ritual and he hated it. That was around 1990.

Eventually I learned a little about the game and realized how lucky I was to live in the Indy market instead of Chicago... :)

August 13th 1966 - Tulane Stadium - New Orleans, Louisiana

Preseason Game - Baltimore Colts v. Philadelphia Eagles

Colts - 31

Eagles - 17

Attended this game with my Grandfather. Back then, the NFL would schedule preseason games in non- NFL cities to promote the league and grant the fans of these cities a chance to see their favorite teams and players. I had already been a Colts fan 2 years earlier. However, witnessing this game in person against the Philadelphia Eagles cemented my life long beloved loyalty to the Colts. I had the privilege of seeing my two favorite Colts players ... Johnny Unitas and Raymond Berry. Ever since that day I have followed the Colts and became a rabid fanatic to this day. It's been a GREAT ride and would not trade my NFL/Colts experiences for anything in the world. I love this team and always will. #COLTSNATION RULES

Saw Unitas in 67 and have been a fan ever since.  It was a rough ride for many, many years but Peyton made it all worth while.  Been heaven ever since.  What great QB's the Colts have had.

From watching highlights on This week in Pro Football with Pat Summeral  and Tom. And becoming more interested from the Sunoco 1972 Stamps collection set.

That is incredible. I remember that great stuff. Thanks for jarring my memory banks, Jcolt72!

:)

Saw Unitas in 67 and have been a fan ever since.  It was a rough ride for many, many years but Peyton made it all worth while.  Been heaven ever since.  What great QB's the Colts have had.

Unitas, Jones, Manning and Luck! Gems. No doubt.

Born and raised in Scotland I first got interested in the NFL in the mid 80's. Stayed up late to watch the Bears and Giants SB wins and it sparked my interest. I remember being impressed by Walter Payton and Lawrence Taylor.

I then moved with my young family to England, and mixed with sporadic coverage in the UK around that time, the game escaped me for a long spell. Then one day in 2004, my father called me, and we got talking about his bet he had on the Colts to win the Superbowl, on how they were doing pretty well, and they had a great QB. At that time I didn't even realise they showed 2 live games every Sunday. So I started watching the game all over again, took an interest in the Colts due to my father's bet, and became hooked. Pretty sure the first live game on TV I watched was a shoot-out in the Dome v Cinci. Something like a 45-35 win.

My first Forum was the Indy Star, and I remember a spoof Colts Poster called Mannings Army, and that got tedious, so I then found this one (or one of the previous iterations). Phil was the principle Mod back in those days, and I remember crossing swords with GoPats and Dynasty13 back then. Still a few of the old crowd still post here today. I was never a Polian fan back then, which didn't go down too well, but we can laugh about that now. Jskinnz used to give me a hard time back then!

Nearly met up with GoPats in Boston a few years ago, and just missed out on hooking up with Jskinnz, Gramz and Schwamm when I came over for the Seattle game in 2013, but my phone battery ran out as I got to the ground and it all fell apart! During the game, Jskinnz actually brought me a beer to my seat, but I was in the toilet, so he gave it to my mate to give to me and left!

That's all I have. Fan for life because of a £5 bet!

I remember that weekend and game well. We were disappointed to not meet up with you. I remember some talk of tailgaiting before the game, but the downpour of rain put a damper on that. Pun intended. :P

At least you got to see an exciting game with an incredible finish and Win. Next time we'll have to plan better.

Sorry to hear that your health is not good right now JlyRN. While getting my 1st Master's degree in American History, I knew a lot of students getting their advanced degrees in nursing since that university had a top notch medical program there. I won't pretend to know what all your requirements were, but they would vent to me about their coursework & professors & they would listen to me as I complained about mine. Very cathartic on both fronts actually. [i am referring to a college in Wisconsin BTW not Indiana just in case you were wondering.]

It's cool you won 2 tickets to a Colts preseason game & that you took your nephew along. Yeah, playing Jacksonville is always a nice victory isn't it? But Bortles is legit & that D is nothing to dismiss anymore. Anyway, I'm glad you had fun seeing INDY play live. Are we talking the RCA Dome or Lucas Oil Stadium or both? 

Congratulations on becoming an RN JLyRN since organic chemistry is a tough nut to crack or class to pass for some students. Bravo my friend! 

Thank you SW1 !!!  I loved being a nurse, did it for well over 20 years.  The year I went to the 2 games had to have been either 2010 or 2011.  They were both at the Luke.  I never had a chance to go to a game at the RCA dome.

Nursing school was tough, but it was oh so worth it.  3 years of classes, clinicals, also classes at IPFW.  Would I do it again?  You bet I would.  The joy of taking care of patients, being at the bedside when they are scared, or feeling alone.  Holding their hand when sometimes that's all we could do, crying along with patient's families, definitely so worth it !!!

If I remember right, it was you and Brian Williams trapped in the Nakatomi Plaza fighting terrorists. 

It was a great story indeed. 

Well, Gramz does have grandchildren so she's well versed in high pressure cooker situations. It's only natural that her life was loosely chronicled in a blockbuster Bruce Willis picture on Christmas eve with her precious bundles of joy overflowing with too much sugar in their bloodstream. Professional terrorists are nothing compared to chaotic kids on too many cookies, cakes, & eggnog man.  :P

If I remember right, it was you and Brian Williams trapped in the Nakatomi Plaza fighting terrorists.

It was a great story indeed.

haha. I totally missed this earlier and then SW1 quoted you..... :scratch::nutz: your two versions are entertaining. Lol

Thank you SW1 !!!  I loved being a nurse, did it for well over 20 years.  The year I went to the 2 games had to have been either 2010 or 2011.  They were both at the Luke.  I never had a chance to go to a game at the RCA dome.

Nursing school was tough, but it was oh so worth it.  3 years of classes, clinicals, also classes at IPFW.  Would I do it again?  You bet I would.  The joy of taking care of patients, being at the bedside when they are scared, or feeling alone.  Holding their hand when sometimes that's all we could do, crying along with patient's families, definitely so worth it !!!

It takes a special person to tend to the needs of others & give them comfort in their hour of need. I respect nurses for the sacrifices they make to get their education, plow through the coursework, & still remember to make the patient feel at ease. I have a ton of respect for nurses JlyRN both male & female BTW. Becoming an RN is a remarkable achievement my friend. I'm very proud of you mostly because I suck at science related stuff & get squeamish around blood etc. etc. 

I can tell just by your demeanor that you were an exceptional one JlyRN.  :hat:

Well, Gramz does have grandchildren so she's well versed in high pressure cooker situations. It's only natural that her life was loosely chronicled in a blockbuster Bruce Willis picture on Christmas eve with her precious bundles of joy overflowing with too much sugar in their bloodstream. Professional terrorists are nothing compared to chaotic kids on too many cookies, cakes, & eggnog man.  :P

Man, oh, man! Do I know that all too well. Wouldn't trade these memories for anything in the world. Grandchildren (and children) are the golden mirrors of life. You're constantly seeing yourself no matter what comes your way. Unconditional love? In a heartbeat, SW1!

Nice post, man!

I live in California. I was a player fan when I was a kid( Steve young ). My dad is a huge Niner fan, but when manning got drafted I picked them in blitz. We drafted Edgerrin James, and the rest is history . I knew I was a fan when the pats beat our butts in the snow and I felt sad until the next season started.

haha. I totally missed this earlier and then SW1 quoted you..... :scratch::nutz: your two versions are entertaining. Lol

I ran out likes Gramz. I promise I will give you one tomorrow.

If Gramz was on that chopper with Brian Williams, she would convince him in a nice way not to exaggerate or inflate the truth.

That's why I like Gramz. She's smart enough to make people do the right thing without coming across as all knowing or throwing around a superiority complex. She's pretty cool that way, but then again I'm biased. LOL! 

I like you for several reasons actually, but I don't wanna derail the original topic either so I will just leave it there. 

Man, oh, man! Do I know that all too well. Wouldn't trade these memories for anything in the world. Grandchildren (and children) are the golden mirrors of life. You're constantly seeing yourself no matter what comes your way. Unconditional love? In a heartbeat, SW1!

Nice post, man!

Thanks CS. I don't have any grandchildren but, I remember when my nephews were little & quite a handful. Great memories like you say though. I've always had a knack for that: Considering issues or a person's circumstances from multiple angles I guess. It probably explains why I crave history so much. It's all about grievances & conflict resolution, but I digress. 

Thanks CS. I don't have any grandchildren but, I remember when my nephews were little & quite a handful. Great memories like you say though. I've always had a knack for that: Considering issues or a person's circumstances from multiple angles I guess. It probably explains why I crave history so much. It's all about grievances & conflict resolution, but I digress.

"I've always had a knack for that : Considering issues or a person's circumstances from multiple angles I guess."

You should run for office, SW1! Seems as though you _DO_ have a knack for that, brother (wink, wink!)! :)

btw ... still having headaches with sending & receiving msgs. ... they're working on it ... just so everyone knows I'm not ignoring them.

formerly ... gj57young ...

I remember that weekend and game well. We were disappointed to not meet up with you. I remember some talk of tailgaiting before the game, but the downpour of rain put a damper on that. Pun intended. :P

At least you got to see an exciting game with an incredible finish and Win. Next time we'll have to plan better.

If you guys do meet up for a game this season, post a picture of everybody huddled together to remember the experience & post it on your profile page. I like putting names with faces not just their avatars. 

I'm not trying to be a dictator here, I just like seeing what my favorite bloggers look like in the flesh. 

"I've always had a knack for that : Considering issues or a person's circumstances from multiple angles I guess."

You should run for office, SW1! Seems as though you _DO_ have a knack for that, brother (wink, wink!)! :)

btw ... still having headaches with sending & receiving msgs. ... they're working on it ... just so everyone knows I'm not ignoring them.

formerly ... gj57young ...

haha 1 problem with that though CS. When I think someone is full of crap or a policy is ridiculous you can read my face like a book without me saying a word. I'm not skilled at professional lying. I have a gift for sarcasm though not always an asset in politics.  I'm a good behind the scenes lay of the land guy though. Thanks for the complement though. 

I will e-mail by the end of the week or reply to your last inquiry anyway. I promise.

I should dig out my pics of some of the fans from this site that I met when I went to my very first game with my nephew :)  I know I met Bill (I believe he was ummm Colts12thmanBill) here , something like that anyway. Also met Mary (SBXLI champ)  I'm sure that's not the exact spelling  LOL, and DeeDee, don't remember her screen name.  Anyway, it was so much fun meeting some of the ones from here at the game and actually putting a face to the name :)

I do. I live in Harford County MD, which is 45 minutes north of Baltimore. .

Wow! Where? I grew up in Delta,Pa. My Mom still has her farm there. In 72, I pitched a no hitter for Kennard Dale against North Hartford Hawks. (The only game we won that year!!!) My Dad retired from Edgewood Army Chemical Arsenal. Nice meeting You!

It must have been around 1956 or so, when my hero was Buddy Young!  Then came the 58' title game and I was sold.

I grew up in Madison, Wisconsin.  And back then, pro football fans in southern Wisconsin were mostly Chicago Bears fans until Alan Amache signed with the Colts.  Then, many went with the Colts until the Packers got there act together.  I remained loyal to the Colts to this day!  Go Colts!

Wow! Where? I grew up in Delta,Pa. My Mom still has her farm there. In 72, I pitched a no hitter for Kennard Dale against North Hartford Hawks. (The only game we won that year!!!) My Dad retired from Edgewood Army Chemical Arsenal. Nice meeting You!

My grandparents owned a lot in Delta near Muddy Creek. I was stationed for awhile at Edgewood and Aberdeen. My kids play North Harford. It's a small world. I also am familiar with Kennard Dale.

I was really annoyed with myself. Jskinnz had invited us to join his tailgate, but due to the poor weather, it was cancelled on the morning of the game. Schwamm called me when I was at the stadium, and arranged to meet up once he got inside. I think we were going to hook up after the game. Then my battery ran out. Having been 'enjoying' the Indy day and nightlife all weekend, I was not in great shape to do simple things like charge my phone overnight etc. A great opportunity missed.

Still hoping to get over for a game this season. Just juggling our finances for the coming months to see if it's doable. I'm thinking yes. As my wife is a dirty Patriot, trying to persuade her to come with me for the Pats game.

One of the guys who works for me in our Houston office has invited me to go to the Texans game. His wife has access to a corporate box and can get me in no problem. So working on a visit to the office in early October! Visiting in mid June, so it might be a stretch to go back so soon....

Geez, this is getting me in the mood for another trip!

IDK when I became a fan.  When the Colts came to Indy I started going to games occasionally but it was more about being social then because the Colts were always losing.

Games then were low key and more about bonding with other fans.  I think the 1995 AFC championship @ steelers was when I realized I was a fan.

I'm still not over that game

Anyway, all that fan bonding over lost seasons all those years made the SB win so very special.  

My grandparents owned a lot in Delta near Muddy Creek. I was stationed for awhile at Edgewood and Aberdeen. My kids play North Harford. It's a small world. I also am familiar with Kennard Dale.

by the way, I played for KD against NH's first highschool football team in 70. And in 71 and 72, they added a running back named Randy McMillan, maybe 74? Quite the runner. Broke records at Harford Community Junior College, then transferred to Pitt. Ended up wearing #32 for our Colts! I was pulling for his comeback after the car hit him. He had much promise!

I admit I jumped on the bandwagon and it was after watching The Game! It was love at first sight and the marriage has lasted 55+ years!

Ha, ha, ha!  Me too!  I was kid sitting on the floor watching a small black-and-white TV.

Heck of a game...Johnny U and Raymond Berry moving the ball down the field, unstopable...Ameche with the OT TD.

I should dig out my pics of some of the fans from this site that I met when I went to my very first game with my nephew :)  I know I met Bill (I believe he was ummm Colts12thmanBill) here , something like that anyway. Also met Mary (SBXLI champ)  I'm sure that's not the exact spelling  LOL, and DeeDee, don't remember her screen name.  Anyway, it was so much fun meeting some of the ones from here at the game and actually putting a face to the name :)

I remember those guys

Since the year of Harbaugh and the "Comeback Colts".

I can still see Jim Harbaugh's lip sync while watching the game : "I thought he caught it!" If Quinten Coryatt catches that ball from O'Donnell ... Game Over! We probably go on to beat the Cowboys for the 2nd time in a Super Bowl! Arrgghh!

Oh well ... Looking very much forward to the next ten years or so. :)