Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The 2014 draft-1st round-What positions in 15 over or underdrafted?

When I look back at last year, the thing which struck me was how wrong I was along with many Professionals were in there mocks. The first 8 went according to plan I guess, but I did not see Bortles going #3, although many thought Jacksonville would take him. After #7 though, Gilbert at #8, Detroit taking Ebron at #10, Lewan at #11 was early I thought, Fuller #14, Pryor #18 I though would go much sooner, James #19 I never even though first round, Clinton Dix falling to #21, Manziel #22 I know he was all over the board and a crap shoot, Dee Ford #23 a 1st rounder?, Dennard falling to #24, Marcus Smith #26 overdrafted, Deonne Buchannon going at #27 in the first floored me, he was 2nd round at best, Jimmy Ward #30. It goes to show you players will always fall that you would never think will.

My point is, you may disagree with me on who went where in 2014, but there were so many players I thought were overdrafted and others who fell. Almost after #7, I could not believe the picks. There was such a shortage of safeties, they were massively overdrafted. I know it happens every year, but I wonder to the supply and demand of positions, and what is lacking in this years draft, what positions are going to be over and underdrafted?

Jake Fisher and Ronald Darby will probably be first round picks and I think they should both be 2nds. I think Cody Prewitt will be underdrafted. Trae Waynes is going a bit high. I think Jordan Phillips is being very overdrafted. Also, Danielle Hunter is as well. D.J. Humphries is a guy who has risen that I don't think is a first rounder. Dorial Green-Beckham and Jaelen Strong will fall nicely for a team, as will Devin Fuchness.

Lots of players that seem off as of now.

I read an article yesterday that quoted one team's scout as saying his team's #17 player may be another team's #53 rated player. It seems like this draft may hold some surprises. 

I think that kind of thing happens far more often than all of us -- me included -- actually realize.

We all see the same thing differently.     I can't emphasize that enough.

If I read the OP correctly, its talking about positions and not players.  I think pass rushers and CBs easily fall into that category since teams are looking for that impact player at those positons, and the player drafted may not have the ability to make that impact.  It must be easier to evaluate OT talent since fewer of those guys turn out to be actual busts, IMO.

There seems to be less hype around the CBs this year than in years past, so I'll say that pass rushers will be overdrafted, perhaps the Dline overall.  I'm not sure any position will really be underdrafted.

Most Overrated: Just my opinion, but for me it's QB. To my eye I don't see a straight up, long term franchise signal caller in this class. Winston has limitations both physically and mentally. Mariota has never played in a pro style offense (unless the eagles take, which is unlikely). Hundley is very limited and wont be anything other than a backup/pinch starter. Petty could be reasonable but needs to lose the bad habits he picked up last year, and land with a team and a veteran to help him develop (Saints, Chargers, Broncos?)

Most Underrated: Probably corner. A lot of great corners around the 1st or 2nd round that could fall. Peter and Johnson, often not going in mocks to the early 20s. Not much is being said about the corner class as a whole. Some talented guys that aren't getting much hype. 

Deapest Position: RB. There are more RBs that could be going in the first 3 rounds than I can remember in recent years. At least 5 will likely go in the first 2.5-3 rounds.

Shallowest (?) Position: Safety. There are no safeties out there who are worth a first round pick to me. The only one getting mocked is Collins, but to me he just looks like Mark Barron 2.0, hitter who cant cover. There are a few names for the mid rounds, but nothing of real substance.

All just my opinion.

Edit: I just read that you said 'Underdrafted', I read it as 'Underrated'. My bad, sorry to take us off on a tangent.

The problem with this is that none of us know who is under or over drafted.  We form opinions on a small amount of film and no other information.  We do this as a hobby, while scouts are spending 60 hours a week combing over information.