Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A "Lucky" Colts Draft (still somewhat realistic)

Here is my hopeful draft for the Colts, and this time I have not included any trades, although we should expect to move around in the draft at least once...

1- NT Danny Shelton (Finally gives us our big athletic NT who can free up everyone else in the front 7)

2- ILB Denzel Perryman (I really feel he could be there in the 2nd since Kendricks, McKinney, and Dawson are all projected to go before him)

3- OT Jake Fisher (Gives us our RT of the future who can also step in at LT if needed)

4- RB Jay Ajayi (RBs always seem to fall a bit as of late, and this RB class is very good, so some talented RBs could fall to the Colts)

5- CB Ladarius Gunter (Gives us a bigger CB to be the future corner opposite Davis)

6- S Durrell Eskridge (Big safety at 6-3, 210, can be coached up to be a good SS)

6- DE Corey Crawford (Not the Blackhawks goalie, but an underrated DE who could with some coaching be in the rotation on the DL)

7- WR Titus Davis (Depth at WR here)

Sorry, but not realistic on the top spot. Any mock you see before the combine is suspect because people will fly up boards. Scouts can't help but fall in love with 40 speed and freak athleticism. The only thing I pay attention to in mocks is the Top 20, and Shelton has only been moving up. He did not help himself in the Senior bowl, but he did in the practices. I don't see him lasting past the 15th. One of the problems is if you run a 3/4, it is so hard to find a good NT. Think of the really good NT in the league. I can only name 3 or 4, so they are almost like QB to a good offense. To be a really good 3/4, I believe you need the position to free up the linebackers. It makes the defense click. I would love to have him, but I don't see it.

I think Perryman will go in the second, but not as far down as we are drafting. Depending on who falls, if we are willing to take on the character concerns, I would love to take Marcus Peters in the first. Pagano would be the perfect coach for him. Davis was a problem child when he got to the Dolphins for the first two years, and look what happened when he got here. If he could do that with Peters, think of that tandem.  If not, then I say BPA, but someone in the trenches hopefully. In the second I am hoping Moncrief  gets to reunite with his Miss. bud from last year, Cody Prewitt. I also would not mind Nate Orchard in the second. I think he is one of those guys who just plays his butt off, with a non-stop motor. I don't know if Ajayi will be there in the fourth, I think 3rd for him, but I would love to have him. I like all the picks, I just think it is not going to fall the way you see.

We will know a lot more two weeks from tomorrow night, since the combine will be coming to an end, and we will get to see who impressed. Some of the guys we like will move up, and some of them will fall more than we could have ever thought. We will see some change from Pro Days, but the Combine is going to gives us a great deal more info. to see who is going to go where. Still love the players you picked!

I would jump around my house like a 5 year old if this happened. 4 day 1 starters in Shelton, Perryman, Fisher, and Ajayi. Then its possible Gunter and Eskridge could both contribute as decent backups in their rookie year. I don't see Davis lasting until the 7th though.

Forgot to mention, I really like Fisher, but he will take awhile to develop. He comes from that spread offense, so they need at least a year to learn proper technique for run blocking. This is becoming common with lineman, especially those who run the spread. Even those who are running Pro sets are starting to spread the field more, and basic techniques for lineman are not being learned as well. You can see so many more lineman lately coming out and just not being prepared. I think you need to consider this when drafting, what team and offense did they run. Fisher has pedigree though, but I am afraid he goes in the second. Still, depending on what happens, he may be someone we target in the second round if other players we want have gone. His stock has definitely risen lately.

Here is my hopeful draft for the Colts, and this time I have not included any trades, although we should expect to move around in the draft at least once...

1- NT Danny Shelton (Finally gives us our big athletic NT who can free up everyone else in the front 7)

2- ILB Denzel Perryman (I really feel he could be there in the 2nd since Kendricks, McKinney, and Dawson are all projected to go before him)

3- OT Jake Fisher (Gives us our RT of the future who can also step in at LT if needed)

4- RB Jay Ajayi (RBs always seem to fall a bit as of late, and this RB class is very good, so some talented RBs could fall to the Colts)

5- CB Ladarius Gunter (Gives us a bigger CB to be the future corner opposite Davis)

6- S Durrell Eskridge (Big safety at 6-3, 210, can be coached up to be a good SS)

6- DE Corey Crawford (Not the Blackhawks goalie, but an underrated DE who could with some coaching be in the rotation on the DL)

7- WR Titus Davis (Depth at WR here)

Shelton looks like a top-10/12 player overall.    We'll never see him at 29.

I've seen no mocks that have Kendrick and Dawson ahead of Perryman and I'd be highly skeptical of any mock that would project that.  

Fisher may last to the 3rd -- maybe -- but I doubt he falls all the way to 90.

And Ajayi appears to be one of the more popular backs right now.   I have yet to see a mock that has him lower than the 3rd and I actually saw one that had him in the first.    I'd be hugely stunned were that to happen,  but all I'm saying is that he's likely a top 100 guy who would not fall to our pick which would be 129 in the 4th round.

So, while I like the players,  I don't see any of it happening for the Colts....

For those of you saying Shelton is unrealistic, do you remember Shariff Floyd? In the 2013 draft he was one of the highest rated players, and top DT by most scouts. Most analysts said he was a top 10 lock, while so many mocks had him penciled in to the Raiders at number 3 overall. Draft day came and slipped all the way down to 25 where Minnesota traded up with a team in front of the Colts to grab him. No one could explain why he fell so far.

The moral of that story is that just because a guy rises fast it doesn't mean he's a lock to be a high pick. Shelton wowed in the Senior Bowl practices, but didn't do anything once the lights came on, and that's important. It's easy to hold your own in a 1-on-1 drill, but it's what you do in the game that matters. Scouts may knock him down a few because they might feel he can't handle multiple lineman at once, which is essential if you want to play in a 3-4. He's also a little over weight as he is close to 340, and at the end of the day he's not Aaron Donald of last year.

Very possible he falls to the 20's. Especially this year. The DT class is deep. Carl Davis, Eddie Goldman, Malcom Brown, and Jordan Phillips are all 1st round worthy and could go before him.