Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inactives vs Pats(Werner Inactive)

HtownColt

To be fair as well, the guy did just come off a nearly 1000 yard season with 10 TDs. I can't put that on Grigson that Richardson didn't work out. I remember when we made the deal in September of 13, and I was excited as all get out.

Richardson didn't work out. Ok, cool, I get that. He was a bust for us. Werner though, was a defensive end for a 4-3 defense and they drafted him to be an outside linebacker, which made 0 sense to me. Why not draft a 3-4 OLB who has some experience in the system?

Werner unfortunately is going the way of Pat Angerer, He's a decent option at his natural position in a 4-3, but in the 3-4 he doesn't thrive at all.

That's 100% on Ryan Grigson. It's his job to pick players for the Colts, Richardson has been horrible.

To be fair as well, the guy did just come off a nearly 1000 yard season with 10 TDs. I can't put that on Grigson that Richardson didn't work out. I remember when we made the deal in September of 13, and I was excited as all get out. 

Richardson didn't work out. Ok, cool, I get that. He was a bust for us. Werner though, was a defensive end for a 4-3 defense and they drafted him to be an outside linebacker, which made 0 sense to me. Why not draft a 3-4 OLB who has some experience in the system? 

Werner unfortunately is going the way of Pat Angerer, He's a decent option at his natural position in a 4-3, but in the 3-4 he doesn't thrive at all.

Not really. A 4-3 end should be able to put some pressure on the QB and Werner is horrible at that so I don't think he succeed on a 4-3. I do agree with you that he wasn't a good pick though.

Really today's the day you guys wanna pound on Grigs I would say the guy gets it right more often than not Newsome in the 5th Freeman.

No one saw TR melting down in the NFL and Werner was a projected 1st rounder by most. I still think he finds a role on the team probably won't live up to the 1st round pick but with Trent heading out you guys will need someone to complain about

Whatever some how despite Grigs our coach's and our players We are a game away from the Super Bowl Lets go Colts

That's 100% on Ryan Grigson. It's his job to pick players for the Colts, Richardson has been horrible.

How so? is Grigson psychic? Like I said, the guy just came off a near 1000 yard season and 10 tds. The Colts needed a running back in 2013 after Ballard went down, and Bradshaw's health history. So, no I don't put that on Grigson at all. The Colts wanted a powerback for their scheme and Grigson got a young running back to try to make the team better. 

Every one of RIchardson's failures falls on Richardson. He's too heavy, to slow and doesn't make decisions fast enough, something he did better with the Browns.

Not really. A 4-3 end should be able to put some pressure on the QB and Werner is horrible at that so I don't think he succeed on a 4-3. I do agree with you that he wasn't a good pick though.

I understand that, but a 4-3 DE is generally asked to do less than a 3-4 OLB. Werner was just flat unable to transition and thrive like Mathis was. He's been completely outplayed by late round draft picks and aging veterans.

How so? is Grigson psychic? Like I said, the guy just came off a near 1000 yard season and 10 tds. The Colts needed a running back in 2013 after Ballard went down, and Bradshaw's health history. So, no I don't put that on Grigson at all. The Colts wanted a powerback for their scheme and Grigson got a young running back to try to make the team better.

Every one of RIchardson's failures falls on Richardson. He's too heavy, to slow and doesn't make decisions fast enough, something he did better with the Browns.

It's his fault because he gave up a 1st round pick for a guy that has been awful. Did you ever think why would Cleveland be willing to trade their starting running back who they took with the #3 overall pick just a year earlier for a pick in the 20's?

It's his fault because he gave up a 1st round pick for a guy that has been awful. Did you ever think why would Cleveland be willing to trade their starting running back who they took with the #3 overall pick just a year earlier for a pick in the 20's?

Right, but had Richardson produced Grigson would've been hailed as a mastermind. It isn't Grigson down on the field running in the 34 jersey. It's Richardson. When Grigson made the trade, Richardson was actually producing in the NFL. He came to Indy, and I'm not sure if it was a scheme change or an offensive line in turmoil or what, but he didn't produce in a "power running scheme". 

As for Cleveland, in 2013 it was widely expected they were going to be jettisoning players for draft picks. Even Josh Gordon was in talks to be traded for a 2nd round pick. They had just whiffed on Brandon Weeden, and they shopped Richardson for another first round pick for a QB heavy 2014 draft. 

It was a prudent move for both the Colts and the Browns. Unfortunately, the Browns got the better end of the deal. Crap happens.