Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why do our DL tend to have so few tackles per game?

rock8591

I agree with you.  I'm happy with what we have gotten from Chapman considering the situation he came to us in.  My issue is that he gets winded very easily.  Yes he may play more than one down in a series but its quite obvious that his stamina isn't one of his strong suits.  My whole point of the post thought was not to rag on Chapman but the need for a player to make Chapman a rotate player for our true starter.  Someone of impact in which we don't need to rotate to a better interior rusher and able to handle the upper tier of QBs who run a ton of no huddle with no substitutions.  But alas I also pointed out that getting a player like that his hard and rare, but if that piece was attained the defense as a whole would perform remarkably better especially with a play making LBer. Maybe a player comparison would be more sufficient... say Casey Hampton like.

ok I'm more with you now.  You're right, getting that kind of player would be difficult because there aren't many of them to go around.  there's typically 1, maybe 2 with that type of potential in a given draft and they're usually going to go high just like Poe did.  And trying to get one in FA is going to cost a ton of $$$.  I don't think getting this type of player is a requirement for our defense but it would definitely be nice and give more flexibility.  

then again, there's always the chance Chapman could still improve.  This was only his first year as a full time starter.  Perhaps they'll have him work on stamina over the off-season.  He has shown more athleticism than I would have expected from him.  IMO he's a very good NT, but he's only a NT at this point whereas the player you're describing would be the type of guy that could play any position on the DL...basically a 2nd Arthur Jones type.