Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Please, NO MADDEN COVER!

Ken S.

I was just sitting here looking at some of the troubles(Adrian Peterson most recently) and injuries(Calvin Johnson most recently) have been having this year and for some reason it redirected my mind towards the "Madden Curse." Now those not familiar with the "Madden Curse," it's stated that a player will have something bad happen to them after being on the cover of the video football game "Madden." Rather it be a down season or injury or whatever. It has true believers(like myself) because if you go back and look at the evidence, it shows it loud and clear. (It's even proving to be somewhat true with Richard Sherman because he's not having the type of year that he's had in the past.) I say all of this because I know Andrew Luck was in the running for the Madden cover this year and I think he ended up 2nd in voting. But ironically, he's having his best statistical season yet, although he's only in his 3rd year. I'm pretty sure Luck will be in the running again for the Madden cover somewhere down the road. So with that being said, when that time does come, DON'T VOTE FOR HIM!! LOL

Here's a link to some info on the Madden Curse: http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/the-madden-curse/

Luck WONT win. It's all about popularity and the Colts are not popular enough. Unless they win the SB and get a bunch of bandwagon fans!!!!

Madden curse is a little rediculous but it is annoying how it actually seems true! haha

JJ Watt might win it becuase he is a beast and the media has hyped him up so much.

Sherman is rated the best cb for this half of season so far. No curse there.. and megatron still had a great year last year.. and adrian peterson was on the cover three years ago.. so that doesnt hold much value either

Did you even read the article linked to what happened to these guys after their appearance on the cover? Sherman has been getting toasted a lot this year, more than any of his past years and he only has 3 picks. (And he's the main one stating he's the best CB in the league. You have tons of people who would disagree with that.) Megatron has been hurt this year and hasn't been consistent much of this season. And just look at the list of injuries AP has had since he's been on the cover. Yeah he had the second best rushing season ever, but he got injured again later on and just look at the mess he has going on now. The curse doesn't say it happens "immediately" after their cover appearance, but it happens "after" their appearance. So yeah, it holds a lot of value.

It's coincidence.  Given how physical a sport football is, it's no surprise that guys like Calvin will have injuries, especially with their extensive use.  Furthermore, after a strong season like Sherman had last year, coaches are likely to put in a little more film study to work on his tendencies.  Because of that, it could make him appear worse statistically, then everyone says he's not good because his stats are worse.

JJ Watt might win it becuase he is a beast and the media has hyped him up so much.

Hey man, JJ Watt's an awesome guy. Don't wish any bad voodoo on him. Just kidding Bravo4460! 

SW1's gotta stick up for my UW-Madison Camp Randall Alumni out of obligation you know. It comes with the territory.  ;)

Richard Sherman isn't having a down year, his interceptions are lower than last season but only because the ball doesn't get thrown his way as much. And Calvin Johnson got put on the Madden cover in 2012, which was the same year he set the NFL record for receiving yards in a single season.

If you believe in superstitions.

If we are gonna test the impact of negative superstitions of the Madden curse cover, let's put a horrible team on the cover like the Jets or the Raiders & see either how low we can go season record wise or if awful teams would play like gang busters the following year & look almost respectable. 

I like messing with peoples heads, but in a good, twisted way if that even makes any sense.

Reward a pathetic team with the cover once & see if a generational curse of hopelessness can be transformed into nobility like a Dreamworks Shriek picture as opposed to a lame Walt Disney Beauty & The Beast picture. What the hades. It might actually work. 

Think of it this way.  You get on the madden cover by having a huge year.  You have a huge year by getting a lot of touches.  You are more likely to get injured the year after getting a lot of touches...  

Well you can't exactly take touches away from QB's and CB's.