Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colts Player Ben Utecht

RockThatBlue

Very sad indeed. I would hope for those who think the game has gotten soft can remember the human body is not designed to play football. These are special men who put their health on the line every time they put the pads on. Hard hits are a part of football but not imperative. Is our passion for violence so strong we don't care about these players? Just my thoughts.

Very sad indeed. I would hope for those who think the game has gotten soft can remember the human body is not designed to play football. These are special men who put their health on the line every time they put the pads on. Hard hits are a part of football but not imperative. Is our passion for violence so strong we don't care about these players? Just my thoughts.

We care, and the game is changing to protect the players more each year. Players also have a responsibility to take care of themselves. They love the game so much, they'll sometimes take risks they know they shouldn't.

Someone said that if you really want to reduce the concussion issue, have them play without helmets. It will never happen, but it does make sense.

We care, and the game is changing to protect the players more each year. Players also have a responsibility to take care of themselves. They love the game so much, they'll sometimes take risks they know they shouldn't.

Someone said that if you really want to reduce the concussion issue, have them play without helmets. It will never happen, but it does make sense.

I agree only up to a certain point. There are a lot of fans who make comments about today's players being soft and long for what they call the good old days. You know, when players were being chopped blocked, head slapped, cloths lined, hands to the face and generally getting beat up. Finally the money has changed the way football is played. Law suits for poor and out and out lying from the owners denying there was a problem. The head injuries have and will continue be an issue with parents even letting their kids play at all.

I agree only up to a certain point. There are a lot of fans who make comments about today's players being soft and long for what they call the good old days. You know, when players were being chopped blocked, head slapped, cloths lined, hands to the face and generally getting beat up. Finally the money has changed the way football is played. Law suits for poor and out and out lying from the owners denying there was a problem. The head injuries have and will continue be an issue with parents even letting their kids play at all.

All good points, and it's something that has to be addressed.  There will be parents who will let their kids play.  Those kids will grow up to make their own decisions.  That's my point.  You know as well as I do that most players don't want to leave the field.

I think the education is there now, every player knows the ramifications of head injuries.  As adults, they have to make the right decisions for themselves and their families.  

in my opinion, hard hits are totally unnecessary and if completely taken away, I could get just as excited watching somebody wrap somebody up and bring him down as I would if somebody took someone's head off. To me, it's not necessary. The excitement I get is just watching my team win. A good sound wrap up with no one getting hurt is just fine with me.

in my opinion, hard hits are totally unnecessary and if completely taken away, I could get just as excited watching somebody wrap somebody up and bring him down as I would if somebody took someone's head off. To me, it's not necessary. The excitement I get is just watching my team win. A good sound wrap up with no one getting hurt is just fine with me.

I know there is a fine line between Hard hitting and using your body as a battering ram. When adrenaline and men's egos mix it is impossible to control. At least the NFL started educating young players with the heads up program. Where that might fail is some high school or collage coach and his drive to win not using the heads up program. Hopefully parents and schools will keep a close eye on that in the future.