Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Broncos Face Unseen Opponent in in-season contract talks

MJD42

http://www.denverpost.com/klis/ci_26946845/undefined?source=infinite

Interesting piece from Klis of the Denver Post on the star players the Broncos are currently negotiating with that will be FAs at season's end. This includes the two Thomas', Chris Harris, Terrance Knighton, Orlando Franklin, Rahim Moore and Wes Welker.

Klis makes the point that the Broncos spend a lot on FAs and then ask their own guys to take a little less in exchange for years/security. He also raises the point that in-season contract talks can be distracting to a team that needs complete unity as it tries to win a Super Bowl. A "me" vs "us" attitude can develop he says.

What are people's thoughts? I tend to agree with him but Elway I am sure has his price for each player and will let some of the guys walk. I agree with him also that Demarius will most likely be franchised.

They have a roster FILLED to the brim with talent and have been spending money like drunken sailors in the offseason. Now they have a ton of key contributors all looking for more money and free agency is gping to tear that team apart.

That team is going to implode in on itself and I can't wait to watch it happen

They have a roster FILLED to the brim with talent and have been spending money like drunken sailors in the offseason. Now they have a ton of key contributors all looking for more money and free agency is gping to tear that team apart.

As long as Peyton is there, they'll be fine.

Such is the life of a successful NFL team under the salary cap.  You can't keep all your great players and pay them what they want/deserve.  That's where the pressure comes to your scouting team to find solid rookies to take the place of some of the pricey guys you may have to let go.  This happened to the Seahawks this past year, as they lost a lot of guys to free agency.  The Thomases and Harris should be the priority, in my opinion.  Welker is probably gone as he's done nothing this year and is one concussion away from possibly having to call it a career.  Plus, with Sanders and Lattimore, he's more of an unused luxury in that offense.  I can't shake the feeling that Julius is slightly overrated because of playing in a system with Peyton as his QB, so I would personally put him below DT and Harris in terms of priority.  Take any big, athletic TE and Peyton will utilize him.

As long as Peyton is there, they'll be fine.

Such is the life of a successful NFL team under the salary cap. You can't keep all your great players and pay them what they want/deserve. That's where the pressure comes to your scouting team to find solid rookies to take the place of some of the pricey guys you may have to let go. This happened to the Seahawks this past year, as they lost a lot of guys to free agency. The Thomases and Harris should be the priority, in my opinion. Welker is probably gone as he's done nothing this year and is one concussion away from possibly having to call it a career. Plus, with Sanders and Lattimore, he's more of an unused luxury in that offense. I can't shake the feeling that Julius is slightly overrated because of playing in a system with Peyton as his QB, so I would personally put him below DT and Harris in terms of priority. Take any big, athletic TE and Peyton will utilize him.

Yea that's true, it's one of the reasons it's so hard to repeat as champion because of the long season, a target on your back and every other teen picking your players and coaching staff apart in the offseason.

Sometimes you have guys who are solid role players but then you win a superbowl and teams offer them high starter money in hopes that they'll catch some of that magic.

David Givens was a great example of that along with deion branch.. won super bowls and then other teams overpaid so we lost them

from a totally unbiased non-jealous standpoint, right Jerrod Mayo?

Why does everybody assume they have no means to sign the Thomas' under the new upcoming cap?

from a totally unbiased non-jealous standpoint, right Jerrod Mayo?

Why does everybody assume they have no means to sign the Thomas' under the new upcoming cap?

Totally bias from me, I didn't like the Broncos in the past, and now that Manning is there and hand picked them out of free agency because of the loaded roster on rookie deals, I despise them and would give me great pleasure to watch them fail.

Not as much pleasure as watching the Jets fail, but pleasurable none the less