Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Will Things Change?

GwinnettColt

Coyer is gone, just like Meeks and Fangio. Nothing really changed after their departures. The only time I've seen a different D is the playoff run when Indy won the SB (Meeks). In summary, the defense is still bad. We stick to a scheme that isn't as effective as it was for us during the playoff run, the victorious one.

The Offensive Line. Since Tarik...not much and we've even let some key players go. Scott, Lilja.

Still porous. Hopefully with Castonzo and Ijilana (still unproven) back they can be better next season.

The run game. Delone Carter is drafted does well but fumbles. He is either injured or sits. Although Brown did well last week, the run game isn't much different as a whole.

What I'm asking is will improvements be made instead of just talked about? I love the Colts but it's sometimes frustrating as a fan.

Will they get puppets to coach and pay lip service to the press or will noticeable adjustments actually be made to avoid another terrible season?

Coyer is gone, just like Meeks and Fangio. Nothing really changed after their departures.

I'm a little confused by your comments. #1) there WERE dramatic changes. Fangio was fired because the Colts wanted to switch to a cheaper defense (so they could afford the burgeoning stars on offense long term) and he refused to adjust. Dungy brought in Meeks and the Tampa2. #2) the results were an unprecedented run of success, so I'm not clear on what you regret. The comparatively subtle ebb/flow of defensiveness effectiveness during that period is purely secondary - the vast majority of the time they contained the opposition enough to get the win, which is ultimately all that matters. It isn't working this year largely because the offense is ineffective, so they are on the field WAY too much.

The rest of your thoughts sound a bit like Charlie Brown trying hard to find reasons to feel sorry for himself. You are labeling a promising rookie RB as a fumbler because the Colts are trying to get a point across to him. He's fumbled twice. I doubt very much that they are giving up on him. Yes, Brown did well last game. He has done well in EVERY game this season. You are poo pooing the running game when most fans are applauding a dramatic improvement - made more remarkable by the fact that they are doing it without Peyton to scare the defense.

Yes, the offensive line degraded. Players come and go on a regular basis. They are now rebuilding it, and it appears to be very promising.

I just don't know how to respond to someone who thinks that it's frustrating to be a Colts fan. What would you do if you were a fan of - I don't know - virtually every other team in the league? Compared to the previous 25 years, this recent run has had me doing somersaults of near hysterical joy on a near daily basis. What exactly do you find so difficult?

Coyer is gone, just like Meeks and Fangio. Nothing really changed after their departures. The only time I've seen a different D is the playoff run when Indy won the SB (Meeks). In summary, the defense is still bad. We stick to a scheme that isn't as effective as it was for us during the playoff run, the victorious one.

The Offensive Line. Since Tarik...not much and we've even let some key players go. Scott, Lilja.

Still porous. Hopefully with Castonzo and Ijilana (still unproven) back they can be better next season.

The run game. Delone Carter is drafted does well but fumbles. He is either injured or sits. Although Brown did well last week, the run game isn't much different as a whole.

What I'm asking is will improvements be made instead of just talked about? I love the Colts but it's sometimes frustrating as a fan.

Will they get puppets to coach and pay lip service to the press or will noticeable adjustments actually be made to avoid another terrible season?

You have doubts that meaningful changes will occur. I share your doubts.

Not expecting to see much different out there today. Simply not enough time between the firing of Coyer and the next game day. I want to see less space cushion given in the secondary and more blitzing mixed in. But some say that Coyer was canned because of trying to blitz more than than the Polians wanted...which still seemed like hardly ever to me with the exception of recent weeks...so who knows? The Murphy appointment is probably more in line with keeping to the "do what we do" mantra for the rest of this season. Colts are ultra conservative and don't want to change too much while in the midst of the season. But hopefully this opens the door so that we can see some real changes to the defensive philosophy occur during the offseason.

As for today, if we continue to "do what we do" on defense, Brady is going to turn us every which way but loose.

Well don't expect much to change with Painter under center, but you never know with Orlovsky.... plus the Cotls have a new DC. If they turn things around they turn them in the next couple of weeks. That means making this week and next week's game competitive and maybe winning the Texans game.

I'm a little confused by your comments. #1) there WERE dramatic changes. Fangio was fired because the Colts wanted to switch to a cheaper defense (so they could afford the burgeoning stars on offense long term) and he refused to adjust. Dungy brought in Meeks and the Tampa2. #2) the results were an unprecedented run of success, so I'm not clear on what you regret. The comparatively subtle ebb/flow of defensiveness effectiveness during that period is purely secondary - the vast majority of the time they contained the opposition enough to get the win, which is ultimately all that matters. It isn't working this year largely because the offense is ineffective, so they are on the field WAY too much.

The rest of your thoughts sound a bit like Charlie Brown trying hard to find reasons to feel sorry for himself. You are labeling a promising rookie RB as a fumbler because the Colts are trying to get a point across to him. He's fumbled twice. I doubt very much that they are giving up on him. Yes, Brown did well last game. He has done well in EVERY game this season. You are poo pooing the running game when most fans are applauding a dramatic improvement - made more remarkable by the fact that they are doing it without Peyton to scare the defense.

Yes, the offensive line degraded. Players come and go on a regular basis. They are now rebuilding it, and it appears to be very promising.

I just don't know how to respond to someone who thinks that it's frustrating to be a Colts fan. What would you do if you were a fan of - I don't know - virtually every other team in the league? Compared to the previous 25 years, this recent run has had me doing somersaults of near hysterical joy on a near daily basis. What exactly do you find so difficult?

You can call me Charlie Brown if you like; just don't call me "Homer."

I agree that this last ten years has been great. Due to what? Peyton Manning. The run of success isn't due to Meeks.

The point I'm making is that seldom do we see any real adjustments. We get bargain basement players in UDFA's; every once in a while, you can get some really good ones. That's the exception, not the rule. In addition, there seems to be very little interest in FA, when you can get developed players instead of beginners.

My point about Carter is that I was conceding that he had some fumbles and it seems that they benched him. Of course, I heard that he fumbled again today on a crucial drive.

I'm hoping for radical changes, not adjustments that do not change the outcome. Polian threw the O-line under the bus after the last SB. It took him an extra season to get a decent O-line.

I believe improvements will be made, the colts are still playing a ton of zone defense and they HAVE TO come up with a whole new different scheme because they are getting gashed with that type of defense as we saw today.... more man coverage is needed big time.... as for the oline diem needs to go