Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ball hitting goal post..

Rebelknight

I thought if the ball comes in contact with something while in flight you play it where it lands. Remember the whole Dallas scoreboard issue? When boomstick hit the goal post it should have been a live ball.

It's interference. The Dallas game you mention, Jeff Fisher reminded the refs of the rule and the down was replayed. I'm not sure how the rule translates to kicks, but certainly the ball isn't ruled live. 

I thought if the ball comes in contact with something while in flight you play it where it lands. Remember the whole Dallas scoreboard issue? When boomstick hit the goal post it should have been a live ball.

It's already out of the endzone when it hits the goal post.

The goal post is considered out of bounds.

Yup. If the ball hits the goal post, it's a dead ball. Same thing if the ball hits the first down marker or the dial a down or a person who is standing out of bounds. The ball is dead as soon as it touches anything that's out of bounds.

Al Michaels said that if the ball hits the screen over AT&T stadium, it gets rekicked, so...

Guess the difference is that the screen is over the field of play and not out of bounds or out of the endzone.   This also had me wondering if the cable for the over the field camera has ever been hit?

Since they have moved back the kickoffs and have removed a lot of kick returns....I say, if a kicker makes a "field goal" on a kickoff....give the kicking team some points! Maybe just 1 or something...but then again, Denver would skew the numbers with their thin air. In all seriousness, something like that should be rewarded, maybe not with points, but maybe the receiving team has to start at their own 15 instead of 20. Just a thought, don't flame me on this. It does happen, not often though