Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

this is surprising

Valpo2004

Yeah, I always thought the QB was considered a defenseless player in a situation like that.

Either way, I think the play was unnecessary roughness and deserving of a penalty, maybe even a fine (if Newsome can be fined $22K for that hit in the Eagles game...) But I wouldn't call it malicious, or even dirty. No reason to suspend him, I don't think.

Yeah, I always thought the QB was considered a defenseless player in a situation like that.

Either way, I think the play was unnecessary roughness and deserving of a penalty, maybe even a fine (if Newsome can be fined $22K for that hit in the Eagles game...) But I wouldn't call it malicious, or even dirty. No reason to suspend him, I don't think.

IDK, I could see the case for it being somewhat malicious/dirty.  The play was all but over, and I think it was a case of "hey I get a chance to hit the QB outside of the pocket" so Baker threw everything he had into it, without thinking about the crackdown on blindside blocks the past few years.  It used to be the kind of play that would get you a spotlight on "Jacked-Up" but now, well like Superman said, if Newsome was fined $22K for his hit then I'm not sure why Baker wasn't suspended.

From what I saw of it there was some sort of turnover and the Redskins where returning and Baker came up and creamed Foles. 

To me it didn't look like he was any position to make a tackle or any sort of play.  So it sort of felt like as Jason said "a chance to hit the QB" for the mere sake of hitting the QB.

IDK, I could see the case for it being somewhat malicious/dirty.  The play was all but over, and I think it was a case of "hey I get a chance to hit the QB outside of the pocket" so Baker threw everything he had into it, without thinking about the crackdown on blindside blocks the past few years.  It used to be the kind of play that would get you a spotlight on "Jacked-Up" but now, well like Superman said, if Newsome was fined $22K for his hit then I'm not sure why Baker wasn't suspended.

I agree with that, for the most part. I don't know if he threw everything he had into it, but it was clearly a situation where he took advantage of a chance to hit the QB. Completely unnecessary, and had nothing to do with the play. I just didn't think he was trying to hurt him, just put a lick on him. 

Luck would have already been making the tackle.

Not with that many of his own players in between him and the ball carrier.  Foles was around 5 yards away from the play when the ball carrier went down and there were ~3-4 other Eagle players between Foles and the ball carrier.

kinda did. luck has taken vicious hits and gets back up. god knows how

So has Foles ;)

my question was, is Luck included in this:

"the QB is like that popular kid in high school thats so arrogant and self-centered that you just wanna beat the living snot out of. you try to get involved in the play, prepare to get hit"

So has Foles ;)

my question was, is Luck included in this:

"the QB is like that popular kid in high school thats so arrogant and self-centered that you just wanna beat the living snot out of. you try to get involved in the play, prepare to get hit"

the QB position is the primondonna position. defensive players hates you haha

the QB position is the primondonna position. defensive players hates you haha

Oh I definitely get that. I was just curious if your attitude would have been the same if it were Luck that got hammered from the blindside instead of a different team's qb ;)

I feel like it is dirty to blindside block any position when they are not involved in the play. Especially a nose tackle doing that to a QB that could result in some serious injury. If anything they should fine Baker and give his money to Jason Peters for defending Foles haha