Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Cuts (Official Thread)

TKnight24

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whalen was a lot more familiar with the system than Rogers was last year and already had a year under his belt in the NFL (well, at least a year of P.S.), which also play a role into why he was brought up before Rogers.... don't think it means they have more faith in Whalen than Rogers though when  you look at the big picture.  Whalen was brought up to active roster on Oct 28, then waived Nov 19 and resigned to PS, then brought up again on Dec 14....  Rogers was brought up to active roster on Nov. 11 and was never sent back down.

I, too, have faith in Whalen as a WR but the fact of the matter is he will start the season as the 5th or 6th WR -- if Wayne stays healthy, he has more sure hands, is better at getting open, and is a better at moving the chains than Whalen, TY is faster and more dynamic, Nicks, Moncrief, and Rogers are all bigger, faster, and pose a bigger threat to the opposing D.  More likely than not, we will be running a lot of 2 TE/2 WR sets, or 3 WR/1 TE sets, maybe the occasional 2 TE/1 WR/ 1 FB set, and the occassional 4 WR set --- meaning that if we stay healthy, Whalen shouldn't be seeing much of the field on offense -- his value is as a very reliable back-up and as a selfless player that is willing to play ST's (both returning punts/kicks and holding kicks).  I am in no way trying to disrespect you or Whalen, but I will really be shocked if the Colts decide to avoid using him on STs to keep him healthy (this makes sense when we did it with Marvin Harrison or when we do it with TY Hilton, both game-breakers, but in all honesty, Whalen's biggest value to this team is his selflessness and versatility, not necessarily his skill set or threat as a WR).

I am surprised we haven't played Purifoy at S more in the pre-season -- to me, he has the size, athleticism, and playmaking ability to play there and he played there a bit in college.  I like Purifoy because of his athleticism and his ST ability, but I also like him because I think he could be thrown in at S and fair much better than the other CBs he is competing with if need be.

I agree-- I like what I've seen from McDonald -- I think we'd be better off with him on the PS or as depth and a STer for this year, though as I think he is still a little raw and can use a bit more game knowledge.

I see what you're saying, and a lot of Colts fans need to hear this about Whalen... I guess. I think we're all so high on him because of his work ethic and like-ability. I would love to see Whalen as a big (even small) part of our offense just because I like this dude so much. But, obviously with Wayne, Hilton, Nick, Moncrief, Rogers... it's almost impossible to get him on the field offensively. I just hope that they'll keep Whalen for the sake of being a "fan favorite." This dude is reliable and should be on kick offs, punt returns, the hands team, and occasionally chain moving situations if Wayne fatigued. I haven't seen this dude drop one ball anytime he's been in the game, so I think we'll keep him... hopefully. This guy works his way up and I believe if he gets snatched up by another team... we'll hear his name again and Colts fans will be in awe thinking why didn't we keep this guy? 

I see what you're saying, and a lot of Colts fans need to hear this about Whalen... I guess. I think we're all so high on him because of his work ethic and like-ability. I would love to see Whalen as a big (even small) part of our offense just because I like this dude so much. But, obviously with Wayne, Hilton, Nick, Moncrief, Rogers... it's almost impossible to get him on the field offensively. I just hope that they'll keep Whalen for the sake of being a "fan favorite." This dude is reliable and should be on kick offs, punt returns, the hands team, and occasionally chain moving situations if Wayne fatigued. I haven't seen this dude drop one ball anytime he's been in the game, so I think we'll keep him... hopefully. This guy works his way up and I believe if he gets snatched up by another team... we'll hear his name again and Colts fans will be in awe thinking why didn't we keep this guy? 

I hope we keep Whalen, too.  I was reading an interview with Pagano/Grigson about a month ago and they said the final numbers they keep at each position will depend on health at the position. I think with Wayne coming off injury and with Nicks' injuries over the last couple of years, we have incentive to keep 6 WRs instead of 5.  If we release either Rogers or Whalen, they will be snatched up immediately by another team.  Both can certainly play, and play well, in the NFL.  Fortunately for the Colts and Colts' fans (and unfortunately for Whalen and Rogers), we are deeper than we've ever been at WR so it will be a struggle to get those guys much offensive playing time.  However, both can play very key roles by helping out on STs and even if they only get a few snaps -- and as you mention, Wayne will probably need a breather (even if he doesn't, I bet Pagano will continue to keep him on somewhat of a 'pitch count' during the early part of the season) and Whalen can step in on occasion to fill that role.

I am interested to see what we'll do in the redzone -- we need to put the ball in the endzone when we are down there and we've never had 3 WR's as big and talented as Nicks, Moncrief and Rogers -- I am hoping Rogers can be a big threat near the end zone, as well as a threat as a rotational guy at the 3rd/4th WR spot.  The good thing about having this much depth and versatility at WR is we can rotate our guys to keep them fresh and healthy, and we should be able to keep defenses off-balance and create mismatches all over the field.

I hope we keep Whalen, too.  I was reading an interview with Pagano/Grigson about a month ago and they said the final numbers they keep at each position will depend on health at the position. I think with Wayne coming off injury and with Nicks' injuries over the last couple of years, we have incentive to keep 6 WRs instead of 5.  If we release either Rogers or Whalen, they will be snatched up immediately by another team.  Both can certainly play, and play well, in the NFL.  Fortunately for the Colts and Colts' fans (and unfortunately for Whalen and Rogers), we are deeper than we've ever been at WR so it will be a struggle to get those guys much offensive playing time.  However, both can play very key roles by helping out on STs and even if they only get a few snaps -- and as you mention, Wayne will probably need a breather (even if he doesn't, I bet Pagano will continue to keep him on somewhat of a 'pitch count' during the early part of the season) and Whalen can step in on occasion to fill that role.

I am interested to see what we'll do in the redzone -- we need to put the ball in the endzone when we are down there and we've never had 3 WR's as big and talented as Nicks, Moncrief and Rogers -- I am hoping Rogers can be a big threat near the end zone, as well as a threat as a rotational guy at the 3rd/4th WR spot.  The good thing about having this much depth and versatility at WR is we can rotate our guys to keep them fresh and healthy, and we should be able to keep defenses off-balance and create mismatches all over the field.

That's an extremely good point on the redzone scheme! I would love to see that, because with Moncrief and Rogers in rotation at the 4th spot... you have Wayne, Hilton & Nicks as the points of emphasis in which the opposing team is stressed about. In a 4 receiver set in the redzone... with the receiver depth we have, we're almost unstoppable in the passing game! 

Who knows... maybe even with the success we have with the running game in shotgun formation, TRich can finally run well with the distraction of our 3 #1 wide outs to make up for the lack of experience in the interior offensive line. 

...... And as you can tell from my previous statements, I really want Griff to make the team...  :dunno:  :beg:lmao