Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigsons Drafts

First of all let me start out by saying I am feeling pretty good about this

draft.

Of course, the question of the day is why no safety? And it certainly is a valid one.

Below is a break down by position for all three of Grigson's drafts:

Offense Defense

O Line - 5 LB - 4 ( I am including Werner and Newsome )

RB - 2 D Line - 2

WR - 3 Safety - 1

TE - 3 Corner - 0

QB - 2

What is interesting besides how weighed it is towards Offense is that two years

ago our biggest PERCIEVED need was Corner and this year it was Safety. Both of which went unaddressed in the draft.

This is a bit odd and hopefully doesn't point to some kind of phobia Grigs has

about drafting DB's

While some people may take this as a real negative, I actually don't see it that way.

What it says to me is that Grigson and Co. really stick to their board and draft who they see as the BPA. Obviously need does come into play somewhat, but they seem to absolutely refuse to reach (in their eyes) for players of need. I really am convinced that, in the long run, this strategy will prove very effective.

Now, is their board well constructed? Only time will tell, and there will be as many misses as hits ( probably more) but I, for one, like the way they are doing this.

O-line has been a huge need during his entire tenure here, so it's natural that we'd draft many of those.  As the O-line play improves and we gain stability there and play better other areas will be drafted a bit more. There was bound to be bit of a run on defensive players this year after Seattle beat down on Denver in the Superbowl. I think you're right, they tend to stay pretty true to their board which is a positive. 

O-line has been a huge need during his entire tenure here, so it's natural that we'd draft many of those.  As the O-line play improves and we gain stability there and play better other areas will be drafted a bit more. There was bound to be bit of a run on defensive players this year after Seattle beat down on Denver in the Superbowl. I think you're right, they tend to stay pretty true to their board which is a positive. 

I actually think they went straight down the board, ignoring need completely. I have no complaints about it though. But I need to see how Newsome develops because so far we don't have a read on if Grigson can draft good defensive players. Only time will tell now.

O-line has been a need but not more then defense. We drafted two o-lineman last year and Thomas is returning, we have 5 starters. We also have Reitz and Nixon who both played well last year and added Lance Louis and Jack Breckner. The reason the o-line struggled at times was because Grigson continued to start Satele and Mcglynn because they were his guys. Yes, i don't believe Pagano would have played those guys if it was up to him, Grigson has the last say on o-line being a former one himself. You don't have to be a NFL scout to see that Satele and Mcglynn weren't starters and Reitz and Link were both better.

We were one of the worst teams against the run last year and Nix was still on the board and he passed on him. Same with Terrence Brooks, Carl Bradford, Kony Ealy, Gabe Jackson, Brashaud Breeland, Keith Mcgill, and Phillip Gaines. It's just not good value to draft a backup RT with your 1st pick because that's what we did with Mewhort, he's not going to start over Cherilus. 

The picks aren't necessarily "horrible" but they surely don't fill the needs that this team had going into the draft. I think Grigson and Co need to learn that reaching is still bad, but you need to at least draft a secondary guy when yours looks as bad as ours does. I understand drafting BPA, but you should really only do that once the major holes are filled, which on this team they are not. I usually defend Grigson and his decisions, but these past 2 drafts have just been terrible(this latest one on paper, the latter on the field). Grigson has failed to find a starting caliber player(yes I know Thornton played, but it wasn't pretty) in the past 2 seasons. He states that he doesn't want to start a rookie O-line but then he drafts 4 of them over the past 2 drafts(3 in the top 3 rounds).

Mewhort-Will be a back-up or MAYBE a right guard but this is a depth pick.

Moncrief-Look I love the guy and his potential but I just don't see room for him to get a chance till 2 years down the road when Reggie's contract wears out. 

I'm just going to touch on these 2 picks because it's easier than just going through and saying which secondary were available when we drafted. We should've at least gotten Nix or another player at our 2nd round pick. Mewhort would've stayed around till the 3rd and we could've grabbed a true talent in either CB, S, or DT, all positions of need on our roster. Grigson tends to overvalue the guys on our board and drafts them early, removing the chance to grab a real stud that has dropped into our laps. I surely hope these OL from the past 2 drafts excel, because if not these past 2 drafts have been downright awful. 

Moncrief, Andrew Jackson, and John Newsome are my favorite picks from this draft, but not one of them will start for this football team. For a team that still has many holes to fill, we need to find immediate starters, not just developmental talent every year. If this draft class doesn't turn out for Grigson, I want Irsay to do some considerable re-evaluating of the GM(and maybe the head coach). We have had a putrid defense which is what Chuck is all about but we have yet to draft any defensive player that makes an impact. I sure hope we nailed our moves in FA because this draft just doesn't excite me and I still have nightmares of Alex Smith throwing for 400+ yards against us in the playoffs.

O-line has been a need but not more then defense. We drafted two o-lineman last year and Thomas is returning, we have 5 starters. We also have Reitz and Nixon who both played well last year and added Lance Louis and Jack Breckner. The reason the o-line struggled at times was because Grigson continued to start Satele and Mcglynn because they were his guys. Yes, i don't believe Pagano would have played those guys if it was up to him, Grigson has the last say on o-line being a former one himself. You don't have to be a NFL scout to see that Satele and Mcglynn weren't starters and Reitz and Link were both better.

We were one of the worst teams against the run last year and Nix was still on the board and he passed on him. Same with Terrence Brooks, Carl Bradford, Kony Ealy, Gabe Jackson, Brashaud Breeland, Keith Mcgill, and Phillip Gaines. It's just not good value to draft a backup RT with your 1st pick because that's what we did with Mewhort, he's not going to start over Cherilus. 

Says the guy with Bjoern Werner as his avatar.  Talk about a bust.

I never said Werner was a bust and i don't think he is, he just couldn't get on the field much because of injuries and the coaching staff continue to play Walden even though he's not good. That has nothing to do with Grigson reaching and failing in each of the last drafts. Werner and Moncrief were the only good picks, the rest i thought he reached a round or two.

Says the guy with Bjoern Werner as his avatar.  Talk about a bust.

The chances of Donald Thomas returning for week one look slim, hasn't been cleared to practice and has to work his way back from two serious injuries.

I heard he is in month 8 of a 10 month rehab process. So I would expect Thomas to be at full strength somewhat midseason. I wouldn't put my money on Lance Louis so I see why we got the help we did.

the 2012 draft showed a lot right away, but the colts did have a lot of good picks to work with. the 2013 draft didn't show much right away, but with much worse picks to work with. this year will be the judge of the 2013 draft. if werner improves and thornton and holmes do a good job on the line, it will be a good draft. if they don't it was a bust of a draft (he has to get credit for vontae davis with the 2nd pick). this year the colts had terrible picks (grigson's doing) and time will tell. i don't like the mewhort pick, moncrief is ok, and richardson is absolutely horrible with the 1st pick. 

The picks aren't necessarily "horrible" but they surely don't fill the needs that this team had going into the draft. I think Grigson and Co need to learn that reaching is still bad, but you need to at least draft a secondary guy when yours looks as bad as ours does. I understand drafting BPA, but you should really only do that once the major holes are filled, which on this team they are not. I usually defend Grigson and his decisions, but these past 2 drafts have just been terrible(this latest one on paper, the latter on the field). Grigson has failed to find a starting caliber player(yes I know Thornton played, but it wasn't pretty) in the past 2 seasons. He states that he doesn't want to start a rookie O-line but then he drafts 4 of them over the past 2 drafts(3 in the top 3 rounds).

Mewhort-Will be a back-up or MAYBE a right guard but this is a depth pick.

Moncrief-Look I love the guy and his potential but I just don't see room for him to get a chance till 2 years down the road when Reggie's contract wears out. 

I'm just going to touch on these 2 picks because it's easier than just going through and saying which secondary were available when we drafted. We should've at least gotten Nix or another player at our 2nd round pick. Mewhort would've stayed around till the 3rd and we could've grabbed a true talent in either CB, S, or DT, all positions of need on our roster. Grigson tends to overvalue the guys on our board and drafts them early, removing the chance to grab a real stud that has dropped into our laps. I surely hope these OL from the past 2 drafts excel, because if not these past 2 drafts have been downright awful. 

Moncrief, Andrew Jackson, and John Newsome are my favorite picks from this draft, but not one of them will start for this football team. For a team that still has many holes to fill, we need to find immediate starters, not just developmental talent every year. If this draft class doesn't turn out for Grigson, I want Irsay to do some considerable re-evaluating of the GM(and maybe the head coach). We have had a putrid defense which is what Chuck is all about but we have yet to draft any defensive player that makes an impact. I sure hope we nailed our moves in FA because this draft just doesn't excite me and I still have nightmares of Alex Smith throwing for 400+ yards against us in the playoffs.

A couple things,

First, the whole "we could have gotten him later" thing is 100% speculation. Not only that, it isn't

very good speculation being that many draft experts listed Mewhort as a 2/3 rounder. The experts aside, part of the teams job is to get a read on what the other teams interest for players is. All it takes is one club to pick a guy and he's gone. So saying the Colts reached in the second round is no fair.

Second, if your contention is that last years draft was a bust on the field ( including Holmes and

Thorton ) then picking a guard ( that is what he is being projected at not a backup right Tackle ) is, indeed, a huge need.

Fans will always have guys they think would be better, and this is such an inexact science that often

they will be right. But keep in mind the team, whether they be right or wrong in the long run, is

making their decisions with far more evidence and information available to them than what we have.

As someone who does not follow College Football very closely at all, it is easier for me to just

"trust" the GM and scouts. But I think it is important that these guys go after the players they have

deemed most qualified based on their own exhaustive research. Otherwise the team would be better off

saving money by just opening up a couple draft websites and saying "OK who's the highest rated player at our biggest area of need that's still on the board". I think many on this website ( I'm not saying you) would prefer that method.

As Bill Parcells once said " when you draft for need you end up with a lot of needs"

A couple things,

First, the whole "we could have gotten him later" thing is 100% speculation. Not only that, it isn't

very good speculation being that many draft experts listed Mewhort as a 2/3 rounder. The experts aside, part of the teams job is to get a read on what the other teams interest for players is. All it takes is one club to pick a guy and he's gone. So saying the Colts reached in the second round is no fair.

Second, if your contention is that last years draft was a bust on the field ( including Holmes and

Thorton ) then picking a guard ( that is what he is being projected at not a backup right Tackle ) is, indeed, a huge need.

Fans will always have guys they think would be better, and this is such an inexact science that often

they will be right. But keep in mind the team, whether they be right or wrong in the long run, is

making their decisions with far more evidence and information available to them than what we have.

As someone who does not follow College Football very closely at all, it is easier for me to just

"trust" the GM and scouts. But I think it is important that these guys go after the players they have

deemed most qualified based on their own exhaustive research. Otherwise the team would be better off

saving money by just opening up a couple draft websites and saying "OK who's the highest rated player at our biggest area of need that's still on the board". I think many on this website ( I'm not saying you) would prefer that method.

As Bill Parcells once said " when you draft for need you end up with a lot of needs"

Excellent explanation!!! Agree 100%