Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

BOOMSTICK

Bbswatching

Pat isn't that great in his punt accuracy but pretty good at controlling distance. I'm not sure if it's legal to drop kick a FG. I thought if someone drop kicks the ball it's counted as a punt.

In both ]American and Canadian football, one method of scoring a field goal or extra point is by drop kicking the football through the goal.

The drop kick remains in the NFL's official rule book, even though it hadn't been successfully converted in decades. Rule 3, Section 8 defines the drop kick as "a kick by a kicker who drops the ball and kicks it as, or immediately after, it touches the ground."

With the accuracy of today's kickers...no reason for it really...used to be used for surprises in the old days....:)

I hope we do keep McAfee. 

With that said I think if it was a no brainer slam dunk Grigson would have locked him up long term last year when they tagged him.

The fact they didn't tells me they are at least thinking about not keeping him.  The Colts do have 30 million to spend this off-season on free agents and right off the bat that sounds like a lot and frankly it is if you spend it right but if they have to franchise Tag Davis that is worth 11 million or a third of that number.  My guess is unlike McAfee last year they would work out a long term deal to keep him but still that contract is going to probably be worth at least six million a year.  If the Colts keep McAfee and Adam that will probably cost close to five million a year for both guys combined.  That's 11 million of that 30 million before you even get to Brown and Bethea who some have expressed interest in keeping as well let a lone other free agents. 

So there is an argument to be made for letting either or both McAfee and Adam walk and drafting a young kicker or punter or signing them as undrafted free agents and paying probably a close to a fifth of what you would have to pay for McAfee and Adam. 

With that said I want to be clear I want to keep McAfee I think he's worth what it would cost to keep him and I am saying that based on his performance on the field because that's what this is going to come down too.  All the community stuff is nice but as we saw with Peyton Manning if the football business sense says don't keep a guy that's going to trump the community stuff.  I don't know where Grigson is going to side on McAfee but's going to come down to does Grigson think McAfee is worth what the Colts would pay him based on field performance because that's what they are paying for at the end of the day. 

I think and want the Colts to sign him to a new contract but FA agency does not start until March 11, so there is no big hurry.  The Colts need to be spending time now (which I am sure they are) evaluating the team, looking at where they are on their 5 year plan and adjusting it based on all the things that happened during the year, not only on the Colts team but around the NFL and college.

In both ]American and Canadian football, one method of scoring a field goal or extra point is by drop kicking the football through the goal.

The drop kick remains in the NFL's official rule book, even though it hadn't been successfully converted in decades. Rule 3, Section 8 defines the drop kick as "a kick by a kicker who drops the ball and kicks it as, or immediately after, it touches the ground."

With the accuracy of today's kickers...no reason for it really...used to be used for surprises in the old days.... :)

Which is part of the problem of using McAfee as a kicker.  Look at his college numbers he was barely an average kicker in college in terms of accuracy.  If he put up those kinds of numbers in the NFL fans would be losing their mind over him calling for him to be released.  Think about it people freak out when Adam misses a kicker here or there.  How would they react to a guy going 73% on field goals?  That's what Adam did for college career as a kicker.  73%.  He's got one heck of a leg but his accuracy on both kicks and punts is a bit of a concern, which is what Polian was pointing out a few years ago when he basically said Pat needed to improve on somethings and people about lost their minds over it.   

Add into that there is the health factor if you let McAfee do both in terms of what do you do if McAfee were to get hurt during a game and you had no other kicker on the roster? 

Sorry that had nothing to do with your drop kicking point.  The accuracy point just made me think of the other stuff. 

Pat isn't that great in his punt accuracy but pretty good at controlling distance. I'm not sure if it's legal to drop kick a FG. I thought if someone drop kicks the ball it's counted as a punt.

A drop kick is different than a punt.  A drop kick the ball has to touch the ground before it is kicked, a punt does not.