Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Double A Breakdown -- Week 8

Andy

Week 8 -- Colts vs Titans

What the Colts Need To Do To Win

Coming off a 55 point loss, they need to stay focused and motivated to get their first win. They have to realise that they have a good shot at winning this game, and that they should go out there and take it. This requires heart and determination.

On offense, the running game has to be solid. Curtis Painter is started to slide, and the Colts don't want to rely on him too much, because he could throw some interceptions. The starter, whether it be Addai or Carter, has to step it up and get close to 100 yards rushing. The Titans don't have the greatest rush defense, so this feat is definitely possible. Donald Brown needs to come in and should add some nice runs. Now with Curtis Painter... he needs to realise that this pass defense has some playmakers like Cortland Finnegan, Michael Griffin and Jason McCourty. Cortland Finnegan is on Reggie Wayne, so we should target Reggie on intermediate passes, and pass to him just when he makes his break. Pierre Garcon shouldn't do much, so the guy to go to is Dallas Clark. Hopefully, he finally steps up and the Titans are bad against tight ends, so he needs to step it up. Offense puts up points, and on Sunday, they need to put up quite a bit.

On defense, they must stop Chris Johnson. If they can hold him to under 4 yards per carry, you can really shut down this offense. Matt Hasselbeck has been declining since Week 3, and even though the Colts pass defense sucks, he seems to excel against blitzes, and the Colts don't blitz. The Colts need to take away the intermediate and short passes, they don't need to worry about the long ball, because without Kenny Britt, the Titans have no deep threat. They just need to shutdown Chris Johnson and it will hurt their offense, because if you rely too much on Matt Hasselbeck, your offense won't do that well. Defense wins championships!

What The Titans Need to Do To Win

The Titans need Chris Johnson to have a big game. Chris Johnson has to get over 120 yards rushing and just pound the ball. They need to run the ball on 1st and 2nd downs, and then make 3rd downs easy for Matt Hasselbeck. WIth the Tampa 2 defense, Hasselbeck should try to target the 5 yard pass and the 15 yard passes, don't go for the long bomb. On defense, all they have to do is cause turnovers and stop the run. They must let Curtis Painter throw 35 times. They should also eliminate the long bomb, because that was what the Colts did last year, get several long passes off. That means playing a safety deep and Michael Griffin is great at doing that. Delone Carter is a bull and they need to stop him on the initial tackle, and they can't let him fight for extra yards, especially on 1st downs. The game is in Tennessee, so it makes this game an pretty easy one to win.

Breakout Performers/ Key Matchup

For the Colts, it's the starting running back, whether it's Addai or Carter. They have to run hard to make Curtis' life easier, and simplicity is the key to success. A good running game could be the difference between a win and a loss.

For the Titans, it's Chris Johnson. It simple, if he runs very well, they win, and if he doesn't, they could very well lose.

The key matchup Chris Johnson vs the Colts linebackers. This matchup will dictate the match. The winner of this battle could translate into their teams being the victor at the end of the day.

What I Think Will Happen

I think that the halftime score will be 13-7 for the Titans, and the Colts will make it close early in the 2nd half, by making a field goal. At the end of the third quarter, the score will be 20-10, and then the Colts will make a field goal and make it a one possession game. The Titans will score late and Painter will throw a pick on the next drive. Titans win. Curtis Painter will go 15 for 28 for 187 yards and 1TD and 1INT. Delone Carter will have 13 rushes for 66 yards and Joseph Addai will have 7 rushes for 23 yards. Reggie Wayne will have 4 catches for 37 yards and a touchdown, Garcon will have 6 catches for 76 yards, and Dallas Clark will have 5 catches for 53 yards. The rest of the catches will go to Collie, Carter and Eldridge. Now for the Titans. I think Chris Johnson will have a monster game. He will have 27 rushes for 149 yards and 2 touchdowns. Matt Hasselbeck will go 18 for 25 with 211 yards and 1TD and 1INT. Jerraud Powers will have the interception. Nate Washington will have 8 catches for 95 yards; Craig Stevens will have 5 catches for 37 yards and 1 touchdown. The Colts defense will really collapse in the 2nd half, and the offense won't do anything big in the 4th quarter. The Colts will lose another game, but KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

Prediction

Titans 27 vs Colts 13

Last Time They Played

2010 NFL Season -- Week 17

Colts 23 vs Titans 20

I am glad you predicted a blowout Titans win because I think the opposite will happen, the Colts win a close one 28-24. This time, I am the one being optimistic :).

I wouldn't say a 14 point win is a blowout, but I'm glad your hopeful...I am too, but sometimes you have to be real. Remember the gmae is in Tennessee

I wouldn't say a 14 point win is a blowout, but I'm glad your hopeful...I am too, but sometimes you have to be real. Remember the gmae is in Tennessee

There are just certain matchups that are favorable for the Colts. Dallas Clark is going to have a huge game after that bagel vs the Saints. You heard it here first. Titans are always susceptible to TE production, big time. Plus, they have not shut down outside WRs like they normally do. Our O-line, as always, is going to be the key.