Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Could It Be?

Mexicolt

The secondary in the Tampa is designed for the corners to jam the receivers at the line and collect into their respective zone and pass a covered receiver off to the safeties around 12 yards off the line. The safeties are exactly what their name implies: they cover the deepest aspect of the field and are the last line of defense but they are most commonly also the playmakers. They are required to diagnose the play and are around the ball, so they are most commonly the ones with the ball in their hands after interceptions.

So... what are we doing? iIs Coyer creating the "Coyer-2"? It makes so much sense, if you collapse the pocket quickly, and bring pressure with your front four, which we still do, and If you don't believe that look at Brees always three step droping and passing, because he knows we can get to him, then you jam the receivers forcing the QB to hold on to the football or make a mistake...

But you give these cushions so, then you are just doing nothing, just because the WRs are free to do whatever they want.

I think every scheme can work, we don't necessarily need to change it, but we absolutely need to run the schemes the way they have to be ran!

I say we need DT in the first round, so we can really bring pressure from the four men in the front, and then we get CB's who can be physical enough to TACKLE and jam the receivers on the line

Edited by Mexicolt

I say we need DT in the first round

When Liuget got to within 4 spots of us, I think it was, I actually started to get a false sense of hope. Much to be determined between now and next spring but DT remains a pressing need. An impact DT to go along with Nevis is at/near the top of my wishlist regardless of any other team moves.

Corners arent meant to jam in the tampa 2, it seems like the colts arent confident in their corners to jam.. i think kevin thomas would be pretty good at jamming his receivers in time.. On certain plays you are required to jam the receiver but as a whole tampa 2 is all zone plays and all that hard stuff... in college i found it easier to play man than zone but everyone has their preference.

Corners arent meant to jam in the tampa 2, it seems like the colts arent confident in their corners to jam.. i think kevin thomas would be pretty good at jamming his receivers in time.. On certain plays you are required to jam the receiver but as a whole tampa 2 is all zone plays and all that hard stuff... in college i found it easier to play man than zone but everyone has their preference.

It's not really a jam. It's a bump and redirect, to throw off the timing of the route, make the quarterback hold the ball an extra half second, and help out your pass rush. When you play a soft zone and do nothing to slow down the receivers or the quarterback's delivery, you make your pass rush moot. We might as well be playing kickers and place holders on the defensive line if we continue to play off the line.

Why dont we put sumo wrestlers in to man the opposing WR's, then tell them to jam the WR's like their lives depended on it? Nine times out of ten, the skinny WR's fall to the ground. Problem solved.

Edited by ReMeDy

Why dont we put sumo wrestlers in to man the opposing WR's, then tell them to jam the WR's like their lives depended on it? Nine times out of ten, the skinny WR's fall to the ground. Problem solved.

There you go, can't ever fail with the sumo wrestler strategy!!! Or we could get aliens to shoot the WRs with laser beams that make a pew pew pew pew sound. 

I'm sure both would work much better.

This is an interesting article. It makes much more sense, even in the Tampa 2 defense, to jam or bump the WR's at the line of scrimmage to redirect their routes. Then the WR's routes are thrown off and the timing is messed up and the CB's fall back into their zones.

Edited by Ramblinwreck7