Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The curious case of Trent Richardson

ReMeDy

Let's just cut him. I mean it's his second year and he's on his 3rd coordinator. He's obviously terrible. Let's just be done.

Seriously, guys? It took DB up until now to be appreciated around here. He had Peyton, and still wasn't that great. I say that as one of his biggest supporters coming out. Be patient. I'm not saying Trent will be some Jim Brown, but I think he can be effective when he gets it together. Yes, it was a bad, bad fumble in a big game. However, if it weren't for Luck, Brown's fumble would have been worse.

"Seriously, guys? It took DB up until now to be appreciated around here. He had Peyton, and still wasn't that great."

I never get why people compare Brown and Richardson like that....Brown was injured quite a bit before this year

"Seriously, guys? It took DB up until now to be appreciated around here. He had Peyton, and still wasn't that great."

I never get why people compare Brown and Richardson like that....Brown was injured quite a bit before this year

Bob Sanders was great when he wasn't hurt too.

Unfortunately guys who are hurt, or can't stay healthy, are just as useful as guys who aren't producing.

For those of us that did not follow Trent Richardson in his college days, here is what we know:

He was the #3 pick in the draft, so we know he was really good in college.  He averaged 3.5 yds per carry with the Browns - nothing special.  With the Colts, his yds per carry is even lower.  He is very slow out of the backfield.  He is pretty good in the open field if he catches a screen pass.  He is pretty good on 3rd and 1.  He almost never has a big run.  What bothers me the most is that when he pass blocks, it seems like on multiple occasions, he is just standing in no-man's land when the rush is on.

In the end, we gave up a first round pick for a mediocre NFL running back.  The good news is that since we won against KC, at best, our pick will only be a #25 in the draft (since we will be one of the last 8 teams standing).  At this point, Grigson has 2 options: (1) Stick with Richardson and hope he pans out, or (2) Try to trade him in the offseason, hoping that some other team out there still thinks he has great potential.  Maybe we could get a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

I never get why people compare Brown and Richardson like that....Brown was injured quite a bit before this year

He's been in the league for 5 years now, yes? His first year, he was fine health wise. I only remember him missing significant time in 2 seasons. Even at that, that has given him 3 full seasons to prove his worth. He also had a much stronger o-line, and more play makers to take attention away from him. I don't find it an entirely unfair comparison.