Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Lombardi On Says What I Can't About Caldwell And The Team.

The Fish

I agree with what Lombardi is saying. It is time for guys like Coyer and Caldwell to earn their paychecks. It is time for them to coach their butts off and come up with a new plan. We need change and adjust to life without Manning and so far we have not done that. I do not have a lot of faith that will happen given the fact we could not adjust mid game against the Bucs short passes to the RBs, but something has to be done.

Lombardi nailed it. If Caldwell cannot muster a win without Manning on the sideline then he is of no value to this team and him and his coaching staff should be shown the door.

Caldwell is not all at fault though. The front office must carry the burden as well because they built a team so dependent on Manning's health.

All I know is this next offseason will be one of the most interesting in years.

Good article....I found another one that makes a lot of good, similar points.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/jim-harbaugh-san-francisco-49ers-doing-everything-right-indianapolis-colts-jim-caldwell-not-101811

Bottom line out of all of these articles is Caldwell needs to be fired! I dont think he will be fired this season, but at the rate we are losing and our schedule does NOT get easier, the end of year record will give more than enough reason to fire him. The Polian family essentialy calling the shots for our beloved Colts are suspect as well.

Peyton, Jeff, Dallas, Reggie, Dwight, Robert are no dummies....If I were Irsay I would sit each one down and asks them candidly "What needs to happen for us to win again" aside from the obvious that Peyton needs to be healthy. Just a thought.

I'd like to look at it as simply as Caldwell is a bad head coach and the loyalties are stretched too far but the truth is something's amiss. Here's some possibilities but they all ultimately go back to Caldwell not doing his job:

1. Caldwell is simply a terrible head coach and needs to be fired.

2. The Polians are doing chunks of Caldwell's job because they have little faith in him.

3. Peyton was/is doing a part of Caldwell's job.

Whatever it is, Caldwell clearly doesn't have the same authority, respect and power that successful head coaches do. If he's simply bad, fire him. If Peyton, the Polians or whoever is doing Caldwell's job, it means they don't trust him because he's incompetent and should be fired in favor of a head coach who doesn't need Peyton or the Polians looking over his shoulder. Ultimately, fire Jim Caldwell. I hit rage just looking at him on TV

His two most telling statements:

"Closely examine Indy's roster. How many of these players could go to Green Bay or New England and make the team? More than 10 players? Fewer? I'm taking the under."

"The unit is allowing opposing quarterbacks a league-worst 113 rating, given up the most points in the league, and allowed opponents the most rushes and completions per game (a staggering 58.3). In fact, the defense ranks last in 24 other categories. Manning does not play defense, so him not being there is not the cause of this horrendous performance."

"Closely examine Indy's roster. How many of these players could go to Green Bay or New England and make the team? More than 10 players? Fewer? I'm taking the under."

"The unit is allowing opposing quarterbacks a league-worst 113 rating, given up the most points in the league, and allowed opponents the most rushes and completions per game (a staggering 58.3). In fact, the defense ranks last in 24 other categories. Manning does not play defense, so him not being there is not the cause of this horrendous performance."

I agree with everything in the 2nd quote you posted but the last sentence. In many ways he is the most important defender on the team because he sustains drives, keeping the opposing offense off of the field, and those drives usually result in points usually taking the opponents running game away.

"Manning does not play defense, so him not being there is not the cause of this horrendous performance."

This is where I disagree. Manning was perhaps our best defensive player. Seriously! Manning kept that defense on the sidelines. Our offensive regularly kept the ball for 8-10 minutes during each drive. So, tell me. Does that not affect the defense? I mean, the defense cannot give up points and/or yards if they are not on the field.

I agree with everything in the 2nd quote you posted but the last sentence. In many ways he is the most important defender on the team because he sustains drives, keeping the opposing offense off of the field, and those drives usually result in points usually taking the opponents running game away.

This is where I disagree. Manning was perhaps our best defensive player. Seriously! Manning kept that defense on the sidelines. Our offensive regularly kept the ball for 8-10 minutes during each drive. So, tell me. Does that not affect the defense? I mean, the defense cannot give up points and/or yards if they are not on the field.

Manning standing on the sideline is not the cause of the defense forgetting how to tackle, the corners giving 10 yard cushions or the DT's getting trampled on like doormats.

Manning standing on the sideline is not the cause of the defense forgetting how to tackle, the corners giving 10 yard cushions or the DT's getting trampled on like doormats.

It's all Caldwell's fault. He can't tackle, he gives 10 yard cushions and he has no clue how to hold ground at the line of scrimmage. Fire Caldwell.