Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Interesting... Concern within Colts front office about Pep...

Indyfan4life

NFL Network's Mike Silver reports Colts OC Pep Hamilton is "under pressure" within the organization to "step up his game" after so many slow offensive starts over the past several weeks.

Two sources tell Silver that Hamilton "might be having a tough time adjusting" to the NFL as a rookie coordinator coming from Stanford. The transition was expected to be smooth based on Hamilton's familiarity with Andrew Luck and Coby Fleener, but has been the opposite. The Colts have prioritized scheme over personnel under Hamilton, taking a big step back from the all-too-brief Bruce Arians era. There is reportedly a belief at Colts headquarters that Hamilton has "struggled to free up receivers" like T.Y. Hilton, and his system has lacked imagination and aggressiveness. If the Colts keep playing as they've been playing, Pep the Playcaller could be one-and-done in Indy.
Source: NFL.com
Dec 1 - 12:41 PM

Uh oh. Thought some of you would like to see this.

Edit - I see this was already posted. Sorry. :/

Can't say the source is wrong...but it is odd that it leaked. The Polian regime never let this type of stuff get out. And no I am not counting the Manning saga, that was between Irsay and him. Or sitting the starters, bc Polian stormed off his radio show. Under Dungy/Caldwell there was precious little that came out of West 56th in terms of coaching issues.

That said, I think whoever was quoted is spot on. Pep is clearly struggling. I was at the game today, and it was really bad at times. The terrible end around, the bad playcalling given the situation, etc. Very few long balls, even though I felt Luck had overall better pass protection (overall, I know he took some shots) That last drive was a thing of beauty though. I think it's not all on Pep, injuries have derailed what he wanted to do (and did early on, the power run/set up the pass thing), but he has not adjusted well to them. Losing Reggie sucked and was a major blow, but teams lose top players all the time. It happens. You have to stop forcing things.

Yes, Pep needs to go back to school, and let someone else take over as OC.  Perhaps he can be of use to the Colts in the future at a   higher capacity, but he seems to be in over his head.  (to put it mildly)  We have the next-coming of Peyton Manning behind center and how many TD's has he thrown in the last 5 games?  How many three and outs?  not good.  not good at all.