Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vick Ballard

tony1287

Let Brown walk,  re-sign Bradshaw to a 2 year deal.  Keep Ballard on the roster.  

If we can't re-sign Bradshaw to a contract that is fairly cheap (less then 3 mil per year) then let him walk and draft a RB in the mid to late rounds.  Say 4th round pick on a RB.  Or we could sign one off of FA.

I'd rather re-sign Bradshaw though.  He's experienced where our other RB's arn't.  He's the best pass blocking RB in the game and he's solid on running between the tackles and catching out of the backfield.  

Donald Brown needs to go though.  The only way he's worth it is if he'll take the NFL min with no guaranteed money.  

This is really an impossible question to answer.  It depends on way too many factors that haven't happened yet or ones that could happen (i.e. injury). But I'll play anyway. I think the best you could say is that you know we're keeping Trent and Ballard.  Assuming health and performance continues, and this is really the most accurate, but general statement I can make, the rest depends on how much it will cost to re-sign Bradshaw and Brown.  Not to mention Kerwynn Williams and whether we think he can replace Brown.

Guest TeamLoloJones

Let Brown walk,  re-sign Bradshaw to a 2 year deal.  Keep Ballard on the roster.  

If we can't re-sign Bradshaw to a contract that is fairly cheap (less then 3 mil per year) then let him walk and draft a RB in the mid to late rounds.  Say 4th round pick on a RB.  Or we could sign one off of FA.

I'd rather re-sign Bradshaw though.  He's experienced where our other RB's arn't.  He's the best pass blocking RB in the game and he's solid on running between the tackles and catching out of the backfield.  

Donald Brown needs to go though.  The only way he's worth it is if he'll take the NFL min with no guaranteed money.  

I've been hoping for 2 years now that DB can turn into a kick reutrner.  Use his speed for and ball security for kickoffs.  He could very well justify being the 4th RB if he could do that, but I don't think that is happening.  I really want a change of pace back.  If Browns walks, and K Willy isn't ready at this level, I think we should go after someone else.  TRich Bradshaw Ballard and a scat back.  It will be tough having 3 very similar running backs on the roster but with the attrition rate of HBs it's not a bad idea to bring Bradshaw back next year for cheap.

I've been hoping for 2 years now that DB can turn into a kick reutrner.  Use his speed for and ball security for kickoffs.  He could very well justify being the 4th RB if he could do that, but I don't think that is happening.  I really want a change of pace back.  If Browns walks, and K Willy isn't ready at this level, I think we should go after someone else.  TRich Bradshaw Ballard and a scat back.  It will be tough having 3 very similar running backs on the roster but with the attrition rate of HBs it's not a bad idea to bring Bradshaw back next year for cheap.

I have very little problem with keeping 4 RB's on the roster if their talent justifies it.  It's a high injury position.  

I have to say though, I've never entirely understood the necessity of a change of pace back other then the thought that maybe defenses have a hard time adjusting between a big power back and a quick back that uses speed and agility to break tackles.  

Here's what I would do.  Barring severe injury to Bradshaw I'd try to resign him and part ways with Ballard.  He'd be third string behind TRich and Bradshaw and he's the same type of back.  I don't see that being a good fit with him also coming off of an ACL injury.  Bradshaw showed what he's capable of against the 49ers, never seen anything remotely like that from Ballard.  I like Vick, he was excellent value in the 5th round, but injuries are what they are.  Behind 2 power guys like Richardson and Bradshaw it makes the most sense to have a speed guy to bring in occasionally to keep the defense off balance.  You could draft a guy in the 5th round or later that fits this, I'm sure there will be plenty of cheap FA guys who could fit this, or Brown fits this role quite well.  I see him easily signed at vet minimum and I like him a lot in the change of pace speedy back role.  He was a back pick in the first round, and as such he's been much maligned here, but I think he's a perfect fit in this role and the price would be right.  He also knows the offense so that's what I would do.

Guest TeamLoloJones

I have very little problem with keeping 4 RB's on the roster if their talent justifies it.  It's a high injury position.  

I have to say though, I've never entirely understood the necessity of a change of pace back other then the thought that maybe defenses have a hard time adjusting between a big power back and a quick back that uses speed and agility to break tackles.  

It seems to me you do understand.  That's exactly why you want a change of pace back.

Here's what I would do.  Barring severe injury to Bradshaw I'd try to resign him and part ways with Ballard.  He'd be third string behind TRich and Bradshaw and he's the same type of back.  I don't see that being a good fit with him also coming off of an ACL injury.  Bradshaw showed what he's capable of against the 49ers, never seen anything remotely like that from Ballard.  I like Vick, he was excellent value in the 5th round, but injuries are what they are.  Behind 2 power guys like Richardson and Bradshaw it makes the most sense to have a speed guy to bring in occasionally to keep the defense off balance.  You could draft a guy in the 5th round or later that fits this, I'm sure there will be plenty of cheap FA guys who could fit this, or Brown fits this role quite well.  I see him easily signed at vet minimum and I like him a lot in the change of pace speedy back role.  He was a back pick in the first round, and as such he's been much maligned here, but I think he's a perfect fit in this role and the price would be right.  He also knows the offense so that's what I would do.

Getting rid of Vick Ballard and his el cheapo contract would be a big mistake if you ask me.  He gives us way too much value for his contract.  

I agree much more with Lolo Jones on this one.  You draft a speed back in the 4th round or so and keep 4 RB's on the roster.  

It's almost guaranteed that one of them will miss significant time and it's pretty likely that at least one will hit IR.

Getting rid of Vick Ballard and his el cheapo contract would be a big mistake if you ask me.  He gives us way too much value for his contract.  

I agree much more with Lolo Jones on this one.  You draft a speed back in the 4th round or so and keep 4 RB's on the roster.  

It's almost guaranteed that one of them will miss significant time and it's pretty likely that at least one will hit IR.

I could live with this too.  I've seen several suggest going with Ballard, Bradshaw, and Richardson as the only 3 backs and that doesn't seem smart.  Either replace Ballard with a speedy guy or go with 4.

a non ACL-injured Ballard was a lot more valuable to the Colts.  look for him to get forgotten, possibly stay on board, but running backs can sometimes take 1.5 years to return to their normal self.  I'm not sure Edge ever did.  Terrell Davis and on and on and on.