Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arian Foster is saying things that NCAA isn't going to like!

coltsfanmilyman

What universe are you living in? We are talking big time programs....not southwest indiana tech. There are coordinators in the SEC making six figures. The lowest payed coach in the Big 10 is making over a million dollars.

And those poor student athletes can do what every other non athlete does....qualify academically/earn a SCHOLARship/use grants/take out loans

..and that's the mistake...you are oversimplifying college athletics

You cannot separate big time from others

Is IU football big time. Ball State..Western Michidan

Grand Valley State.... U of Indianapolis....and a dozen other scholarship sports at all, of them

See? You cant separate the FB program from the rest of the university...or even the rest of the athletic department

You cant do it

all those schols have scholarships with the same rules....

The system is for those who don't cheat....like most systems in our society.

What's wrong is the cheaters...not the system

How you describe the players sounds like a description of the coaches they play for.

People need to stop acting like college football is anything but big business. My god, it's the #2 sport in the US behind the NFL. If these players had another choice, like baseball's minor league system, I think players would leave in droves. Get on it NFL.

The NFL has it too good- with the NCAA, they already get a farm system they can control like a puppet without having to fund it themselves. One has to question how distinct the lines are when a player can get suspended in the NFL for actions he did before he joined it while in the NCAA, like Terrelle Pryor (something that would fall clearly under "collusion", if anyone wanted to fight it. Pryor didn't want to get blackballed and ruin his career before it started, so he rolled with it), but as long as the NCAA and taxpayers are footing the bill, the NFL's not going to upset the apple cart.

Because of how cushy and chummy that relationship is, we'll never see the NFL start a minor league system for college-aged prospects. 

if you think this doesn't happen in every major program, you're delusional. The school can't keep boosters from getting to these kids.

They can't if they wanted to. Thing is, they really don't want to, either lol. The schools don't mind as long as they don't get caught. They'll tell boosters to stay away if things start getting way too obvious, but other than that, the boosters can pretty much do as they please.

..and that's the mistake...you are oversimplifying college athletics

You cannot separate big time from others

Is IU football big time. Ball State..Western Michidan

Grand Valley State.... U of Indianapolis....and a dozen other scholarship sports at all, of them

See? You cant separate the FB program from the rest of the university...or even the rest of the athletic department

You cant do it

all those schols have scholarships with the same rules....

The system is for those who don't cheat....like most systems in our society.

What's wrong is the cheaters...not the system

You can't use lower end division I,II,III teams to validate your point.  

Any FBS school is making money hand over fist.  Your smaller schools(U of I, Grand Valley, etc) are making money too, just not as much, so again a smaller stipen for those non FBS schools,

I personally think the system is flawed, I do agree however that people will always want to try and cheat the system, but you have to give some of these kids credit for what they are doing.

..and that's the mistake...you are oversimplifying college athleticsYou cannot separate big time from othersIs IU football big time. Ball State..Western MichidanGrand Valley State.... U of Indianapolis....and a dozen other scholarship sports at all, of themSee? You cant separate the FB program from the rest of the university...or even the rest of the athletic departmentYou cant do itall those schols have scholarships with the same rules....The system is for those who don't cheat....like most systems in our society.What's wrong is the cheaters...not the system

What are you talking about? Of course you can separate them. Any boob can see the difference between a Big 10 school like IU and the univ of Indianapolis. I'm not saying they should pay the players, although they should be able to make money of their likeness and such, I'm saying schools should get out of big time college athletics.

The NFL has it too good- with the NCAA, they already get a farm system they can control like a puppet without having to fund it themselves. One has to question how distinct the lines are when a player can get suspended in the NFL for actions he did before he joined it while in the NCAA, like Terrelle Pryor (something that would fall clearly under "collusion", if anyone wanted to fight it. Pryor didn't want to get blackballed and ruin his career before it started, so he rolled with it), but as long as the NCAA and taxpayers are footing the bill, the NFL's not going to upset the apple cart.

Because of how cushy and chummy that relationship is, we'll never see the NFL start a minor league system for college-aged prospects.

I disagree. While they don't have to fund the minor leagues(aka college football), they also don't get a piece of the pie.....And thats a big pie.I also realize it's a pipe dream, as universities aren't going to release that teet without a fight.

I disagree. While they don't have to fund the minor leagues(aka college football), they also don't get a piece of the pie.....And thats a big pie.I also realize it's a pipe dream, as universities aren't going to release that teet without a fight.

It is true that the NFL doesn't directly get a piece of the college football pie from a revenue standpoint, but there are indirect benefits- namely, the NCAA subsidizes some marketing costs for the NFL by giving the best NCAA players plenty of exposure before they turn pro and by giving those college's fans a vested interest in the professional team they didn't have before. There's a value there, and I don't think a minor league system funded by the NFL could have that kind of reach or effectiveness.

It looks like a case where the two sides realize if they don't fight each other, there's no chance either of them loses. As long as they continue their pseudo-partnership/cartel, they've got a duopoly on a multi-billion dollar industry. 

Can you clarify what your point is? I'm finding it hard to decipher your post.

Point is just because room/board, dining, tuition and books are covered does not mean that a student is set and needs no money what so ever.

All athletes are given free food by the university, even us tennis players were. There is a specific student athletes cafeteria that has thee best food on the entire campus, so that part about him not having food has got to be complete *.

You do know student athlete cafeterias have certain hours right? People do at times eat outside the hours cafeterias are open.

Granted, I don't think there should be "sports" scholarships because hardly any of the football/basketball guys even did their coursework as it was done for them by a tutor.

That's an insult to multiple basketball and football players who actually do their coursework and work their butts off in and out the classroom. 

You are living in an alternate universe..

..where room and board and books and tuition is NOTHING for a 20-year old...

..but unless you simply now how..students can get grants that will give them a the money they need for pizza and beer and weed..

..and then there's the truth....2/3 of D-1 athletes are not stars or even starters....they don't win games or even lose them because they don't play.....

..and the scholarships pay for them, too....revenue sports pay for nonrevenue sports

Its a good system....

:facepalm:

Not even worth typing a response to. Would be like talking to a brick wall.

He should have been bounced from school...He stole his scholarship and the right to play.

Just curious. What would you think if the school knew about it and said nothing? Would that make them just as guilty? I'm kinda indifferent because I think it's a somewhat flawed system.

The problem with paying athletes is how do you determine who to pay? With things like Title 9 you would have to pay the girl teams probably the same as the guy sports. Do you just pay athletes who plays sport that actually generates income for the school? At Alabama are you going to play a soccer player the same as a football?

People saying the scholarship is enough of a payment is a huge stretch. At most it is an investment that returns no dividends until 3-4 years later. Most of these players do not have enough money to go see a movie or hang with friends. They cannot get a job as their sports demands to much of time even with the joke of the rules that the NCAA has in place.

Overall I tend to side with the players because the NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in this country and it is overall a joke.

The problem with paying athletes is how do you determine who to pay? With things like Title 9 you would have to pay the girl teams probably the same as the guy sports. Do you just pay athletes who plays sport that actually generates income for the school? At Alabama are you going to play a soccer player the same as a football?

People saying the scholarship is enough of a payment is a huge stretch. At most it is an investment that returns no dividends until 3-4 years later. Most of these players do not have enough money to go see a movie or hang with friends. They cannot get a job as their sports demands to much of time even with the joke of the rules that the NCAA has in place.

Overall I tend to side with the players because the NCAA is one of the most corrupt organizations in this country and it is overall a joke.

These players have enough money to drink, see movies, etc,,, hell, half of then have a couple grand worth of tattoos.

why not just let them seek their own form of income? the ncaa shouldn't have a right to stop them from profiting off of their own likeness while the school is able to. The market will find its own level

Point is just because room/board, dining, tuition and books are covered does not mean that a student is set and needs no money what so ever.

You do know student athlete cafeterias have certain hours right? People do at times eat outside the hours cafeterias are open.

That's an insult to multiple basketball and football players who actually do their coursework and work their butts off in and out the classroom. 

:facepalm:

Not even worth typing a response to. Would be like talking to a brick wall.

I actually do know that cafeterias have certain hours open, I also know that they have 24/7 stores within campus as well.

And I apologize for the broad brush but, lets face it...being in that environment for a major conference school, I have seen enough to be pretty angry about it.

why not just let them seek their own form of income? the ncaa shouldn't have a right to stop them from profiting off of their own likeness while the school is able to. The market will find its own level

To me that is a solution if we want to go with this idea that their scholarship is worth so much. The NCAA and the schools make so much money odd these kids and then the NCAA turns around and says if you want to make money off yourself that is a violation and you will be disqualified.

The NCAA tries to hid behind things like not having names on jerseys, but you could go to their site and search Tebow or Manziel and guess what their jersey shows up. Of course when the NCAA got called out on their nonsense they quickly took it down because they knew they looked like huge hypocrites.

I just wish they blew up the NCAA and start over.

To me that is a solution if we want to go with this idea that their scholarship is worth so much. The NCAA and the schools make so much money odd these kids and then the NCAA turns around and says if you want to make money off yourself that is a violation and you will be disqualified.

The NCAA tries to hid behind things like not having names on jerseys, but you could go to their site and search Tebow or Manziel and guess what their jersey shows up. Of course when the NCAA got called out on their * they quickly took it down because they knew they looked like huge hypocrites.

I just wish they blew up the NCAA and start over.

SHOW...the NCAA makes money..they have that right......The NCAA does nothing for college students??

Do you resent the money college professors get? Some make $100,000 and it all comes from the tuition if students

College presidets get $1,000,000...in the top cases..all from tuitions....No one has a problem with that.

Why does a million dollar coach offend you when a million dollar university president does not?

The hypocrites are players who sign FREE scholarships to play sports for 4 years of school, room and board, food and medical care..

..and want more because they dont like the agreement they signed.

Boys don't have to go to a D-1 school if the money the school makes offends them.

D-11 schools send tons of guys to the pros.

Everybody does not deserve a cut of the pie....They are not employees....you do not get a cut of the profits.

We forget that college's do not exist to have football teams. They were all around long before they had sports

If the NFL had minor leagues.....and signed kids out of college....offering them a check.....the NFL would be criticized for using high school boys until they break down without caring about their future.

Universities offer teens a free chance to play sporrs and a free chance to study for a future profession and its not enough.... they want a check on top of it because they DESERVE more free stuff........

To me that's not need...its greed...

SHOW...the NCAA makes money..they have that right......The NCAA does nothing for college students??Do you resent the money college professors get? Some make $100,000 and it all comes from the tuition if studentsCollege presidets get $1,000,000...in the top cases..all from tuitions....No one has a problem with that.Why does a million dollar coach offend you when a million dollar university president does not?The hypocrites are players who sign FREE scholarships to play sports for 4 years of school, room and board, food and medical care....and want more because they dont like the agreement they signed.Boys don't have to go to a D-1 school if the money the school makes offends them.D-11 schools send tons of guys to the pros.Everybody does not deserve a cut of the pie....They are not employees....you do not get a cut of the profits.

You seem to fine with everyone making lots of money......unless that person plays college football.

We forget that college's do not exist to have football teams. They were all around long before they had sports

If the NFL had minor leagues.....and signed kids out of college....offering them a check.....the NFL would be criticized for using high school boys until they break down without caring about their future.

Universities offer teens a free chance to play sporrs and a free chance to study for a future profession and its not enough.... they want a check on top of it because they DESERVE more free stuff........

To me that's not need...its greed...

what is the problem with allowing the kids to make their own money?