Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the other shoe dropping for Manziel?

Apologies that we're starting another thread about Johnny Football,  but this story is breaking news on ESPN.com...

The NCAA is reportedly investigating Manziel possibly getting paid 5-figures to sign hundreds of memorabilia when he was in Miami last January to attend the Alabama-Notre Dame NC game.

There are names, dates, locations and figures in this story...   it's an "Outside the Lines" exclusive, apparently.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9537999/otl-ncaa-investigating-johnny-manziel-profiting-autographs 

Say what you will be about the NCAA but this is just dumb on Johnny Football's part if he did this.  There is no way he didn't know it was wrong.  This kid strikes me as the kind of kid who just thinks he can get away with anything because of who he is.  Sadly most people who think that way learn a very painful lesson as to why they can't. 

If these allegations prove true, it was a pretty stupid move on Manziel's part. However, some of the rules that the NCAA has is ridiculous. While I can understand this rule of selling memorabilia, the NCAA really needs to implement a weekly/monthly stipend to collegiate athletes. It shouldn't be nothing outrageous, but enough to allow the athletes to get something to eat, pay for laundry, etc. The players make the NCAAF, not the other way around. 

If these allegations prove true, it was a pretty stupid move on Manziel's part. However, some of the rules that the NCAA has is ridiculous. While I can understand this rule of selling memorabilia, the NCAA really needs to implement a weekly/monthly stipend to collegiate athletes. It shouldn't be nothing outrageous, but enough to allow the athletes to get something to eat, pay for laundry, etc. The players make the NCAAF, not the other way around. 

They are getting paid with a free education, if they chose not to take advantage of that then that's their problem but still that's what the scholarship is for a lot of people come out of college every year saddled with major debt issues from college loans that would have gladly taken the college scholarship without the pay.  I am just tired of people acting like the scholarship is worthless and that they aren't getting anything for playing college football. 

They are getting paid with a free education, if they chose not to take advantage of that then that's their problem but still that's what the scholarship is for a lot of people come out of college every year saddled with major debt issues from college loans that would have gladly taken the college scholarship without the pay. I am just tired of people acting like the scholarship is worthless and that they aren't getting anything for playing college football.

sadly 80000 people a week don't show up to watch them study. Also, if they were so inclined they can sell anything they want and be given anything from anyone at anytime. unlike a student athlete

The good "ole" NCAA lays down the RULES.

So when *, entitled, arrogant, Jock blows it.....     Don't blame the NCAA.    Blame the * who is selling merchandise for profit....      allegedly.   ;)

Honestly...   i am tired of hearing about this kid.   

Ah, the good ol' NCAA. 

An organization of our finest schools, where a college can reap millions off of a kid and then suspend him for getting a slice of pizza under the wrong circumstances. Or, in this case, a few thousand slices.

This is gonna get interesting... 

The problems with that idea -- as well intentioned as it is -- are many....

First....  if you're doing it for football,  then you're doing it for basketball....   those are the two real money making sports.

Second....   once you're doing it for those two sports,  and they're both men's sports,  then you've got to do it for the women's sports...   and once you do it for the women's sports,  then you're going to be doing it for all of the sports,  men and women.

Third....    long before you reach the point of doing it for every team sport on every college campus,  the problem of cost comes up.    Where is that money coming from?    A little known fact in college sports is that only roughly 25 schools +/- are profitable at the end of the year.    Most either break even,  or lose money.    Once you start paying all of your student athletes a small stipend,  all that money quickly adds up....   it's just cost prohibitive...

So,  you're damned if you do,  and you're damned if you don't....

The problems with money and the NCAA are very, very difficult and complicated.    Not an easy fix.

sadly 80000 people a week don't show up to watch them study. Also, if they were so inclined they can sell anything they want and be given anything from anyone at anytime. unlike a student athlete

Boo Hoo, guess what most of those kids aren't getting the free education to start with so that 80000 people aren't showing up a week to watch them holds no water with me because my argument isn't that those kids should be treated like the football kids, it's that the football kids are already getting something for playing football.  I think if you talk to just about any kid who is saddled with debt from college they would have gladded traded not being able to sell anything they want for a college scholarship.  That scholarship is worth nearly $20,000 a year for tuition, room and board, and books, and that's for instate kid going to IU, an out of state kid would have his scholarship worth even more.  Think about that for a second and tell me those kids aren't already getting paid something for their time playing football in college. 

Boo Hoo, guess what most of those kids aren't getting the free education to start with so that 80000 people aren't showing up a week to watch them holds no water with me because my argument isn't that those kids should be treated like the football kids, it's that the football kids are already getting something for playing football. I think if you talk to just about any kid who is saddled with debt from college they would have gladded traded not being able to sell anything they want for a college scholarship. That scholarship is worth nearly $20,000 a year for tuition, room and board, and books, and that's for instate kid going to IU, an out of state kid would have his scholarship worth even more. Think about that for a second and tell me those kids aren't already getting paid something for their time playing football in college.

so why are the athletes prohibited from getting jobs? Are academic scholorship students given the same restrictions?

so why are the athletes prohibited from getting jobs? Are academic scholorship students given the same restrictions?

Again my argument isn't that college kids are equals to college athletes.  Again, talk to a kid who is saddled with college debt and tell him or her if they could have avoided all that debt for a free college scholarship but they wouldn't have been able to work while they had a college scholarship and I think you would be shocked at how many of them would have gladly made that trade. 

Also, college athletes don't have time to work any kind of real job while in college and this is coming from someone who spent a large amount of time around several college athletes in college, they were in season and practicing and training or they were out of season and training plus school on top of that and trying to enjoy some kind of life.  The idea that these kids would go out and get a part-time job on top of that is just that a myth there just aren't enough hours in a day even during the summer. 

They are already getting $20,000 a year at least for playing football if they are out of state it can be close to $40,000 depending on the school that's more than most of these college gets are going to get first their full time job out of school.  So let's drop the attitude that they aren't getting anything for playing football.  They are getting an education that for a lot of them they would have no way of getting without football that they can use to better themselves if they take advantage of it.  If they are one of the lucky few that could afford college without the scholarship then odds are their parents are probably happy to take some of the money they set aside for college and give it to them to help them make it through college without a job.  If they couldn't afford college without the scholarship then I would be taking advantage of everything college offered me to make sure I am in a better position coming out of college. 

Also what they can do in college are internships which is what kids do all the time in college and they are able to survive off doing those unpaid without the scholarship on top of it.  Also, it's in all likely hood that an internship that is going to lead to a real job when out school than a part-time job in school. 

That scholarship pays for housing, food, and they get enough clothes from their athletic program take care of their clothes sorry their needs are meet, you don't need to have the latest everything in order survive in college.  Listen to Dan Dakich talk about this on his show sometime who lived this and tells the world like anything all you have to do is be smart about how you handle your food/room and board money if you live off campus and you can have plenty of money off that alone.  The problem is a lot of these kids want to live like millionaires before they are one. 

The only way I would support giving athletes money in college is if you took away the scholarship.  Then yes I would be fine with giving them some money. 

Again my argument isn't that college kids are equals to college athletes. Again, talk to a kid who is saddled with college debt and tell him or her if they could have avoided all that debt for a free college scholarship but they wouldn't have been able to work while they had a college scholarship and I think you would be shocked at how many of them would have gladly made that trade.

Also, college athletes don't have time to work any kind of real job while in college and this is coming from someone who spent a large amount of time around several college athletes in college, they were in season and practicing and training or they were out of season and training plus school on top of that and trying to enjoy some kind of life. The idea that these kids would go out and get a part-time job on top of that is just that a myth there just aren't enough hours in a day even during the summer.

They are already getting $20,000 a year at least for playing football if they are out of state it can be close to $40,000 depending on the school that's more than most of these college gets are going to get first their full time job out of school. So let's drop the attitude that they aren't getting anything for playing football. They are getting an education that for a lot of them they would have no way of getting without football that they can use to better themselves if they take advantage of it. If they are one of the lucky few that could afford college without the scholarship then odds are their parents are probably happy to take some of the money they set aside for college and give it to them to help them make it through college without a job. If they couldn't afford college without the scholarship then I would be taking advantage of everything college offered me to make sure I am in a better position coming out of college.

That scholarship pays for housing, food, and they get enough clothes from their athletic program take care of their clothes sorry their needs are meet, you don't need to have the latest everything in order survive in college. Listen to Dan Dakich talk about this on his show sometime who lived this and tells the world like anything all you have to do is be smart about how you handle your food/room and board money if you live off campus and you can have plenty of money off that alone. The problem is a lot of these kids want to live like millionaires before they are one.

The only way I would support giving athletes money in college is if you took away the scholarship. Then yes I would be fine with giving them some money.

again, are academic scholarship students held to the same rules as athletic scholarship students?

why can't a kid sell his autograph? makes zero sense

C'mon man...     are you this naive the how Big time college sports work?

They can't work because T Boone Pickens would have EVERY single football and basketball player at Okie St. working for him.  

Same for all the "blue blood schools" ..  

Now you get the picture.     Big time college ball is a dirty game.    Recruiting is a "bloodbath" of shady deeds.      And once the kid signs...    It would only get worse if employment was allowed.  

A few bad apples spoil the whole bunch.    

But fear not, the NCAA is on it's last legs...   the MAJOR conferences will soon be "breaking away" from the NCAA.

And then that is when these issues get REALLY interesting.

They are getting paid with a free education, if they chose not to take advantage of that then that's their problem but still that's what the scholarship is for a lot of people come out of college every year saddled with major debt issues from college loans that would have gladly taken the college scholarship without the pay.  I am just tired of people acting like the scholarship is worthless and that they aren't getting anything for playing college football. 

While a college education is valuable, it's not actual-money. A full-ride isn't going feed a poverty-stricken athlete, for example...and they can't get a job obviously due to time constraints.  So, what should you do...let the kid go without a bite to eat, maybe without clean laundry..when they're the reason the NCAA is a multi-million (almost billion) dollar industry? And obviously everybody wouldn't mind a free-ride..but everybody doesn't make the NCAA/schools money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that every athlete should get paid an obscene amount of money..but a small amount isn't too much to ask. Will it be easy to fund such an endeavor? No, it won't be.  But to say it's impossible is far-fetched imo. How would you feel if someone was making millions of dollars off of you without seeing a cent of it (besides a college degree)? The players should see the fruits of their labor. JMO

again, are academic scholarship students held to the same rules as athletic scholarship students?

The reason why kids can't sell their autograph is because it would change college recruiting completely. The problem is the fact that it's in a free market. Consequently, boosters from schools could say, "if you come to Florida, I'll buy your jersey from you for XXXX amount of money. And that XXXX could be anything the booster/player wanted it to be. As a result, college recruiting would boil down to which school had the richest boosters/alumi. 

Because depending on who you sell the autograph too comes boosters and agents.  They are the ones who will abuse it for the kids so they can't.  They will find away to abuse that loop hole.

Also most academic scholarships are not total scholarships and worth what athletic scholarships are in terms of value.  Very rarely is an academic scholarship for everything like most football athletic scholarships are and depending on what the academic scholarship is for there are restraints on what they can do with them. 

It is called a "competitive advantage" ...       How many autographs will Johnny Football at Wake Forrest sell....    compared to Johnny Football at ALABAMA?

It all goes back to recruiting.     Who would U play for?

There has to be rules ...      or the rich will only get richer.    And it is already a tilted game.

Because depending on who you sell the autograph too comes boosters and agents. They are the ones who will abuse it for the kids so they can't. They will find away to abuse that loop hole.

Also most academic scholarships are not total scholarships and worth what athletic scholarships are in terms of value. Very rarely is an academic scholarship for everything like most football athletic scholarships are and depending on what the academic scholarship is for there are restraints on what they can do with them.

so the athlete is held to a different set of rules...

It is called a "competitive advantage" ... How many autographs will Johnny Football at Wake Forrest sell.... compared to Johnny Football at ALABAMA?

It all goes back to recruiting. Who would U play for?

There has to be rules ... or the rich will only get richer. And it is already a tilted game.

so pay the kids and be done with it. The NCAA makes tons of money. They can throw them afew hundred a month

The problems with that idea -- as well intentioned as it is -- are many....

First....  if you're doing it for football,  then you're doing it for basketball....   those are the two real money making sports.

Second....   once you're doing it for those two sports,  and they're both men's sports,  then you've got to do it for the women's sports...   and once you do it for the women's sports,  then you're going to be doing it for all of the sports,  men and women.

Third....    long before you reach the point of doing it for every team sport on every college campus,  the problem of cost comes up.    Where is that money coming from?    A little known fact in college sports is that only roughly 25 schools +/- are profitable at the end of the year.    Most either break even,  or lose money.    Once you start paying all of your student athletes a small stipend,  all that money quickly adds up....   it's just cost prohibitive...

So,  you're darned if you do,  and you're darned if you don't....

The problems with money and the NCAA are very, very difficult and complicated.    Not an easy fix.

That is why the Big Ten, ACC, SEC, Big 12, Pac whoever will be breaking away from the NCAA.

But it won't be "for the student athlete" it will be to control the FOOTBALL MONEY>

ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

i am a notre dame season ticket holder. The school sold a whole bunch of number five Jerseys last year. The player gets none of that money that would not have been made without the athlete excelling at what he does. the NCAA is making millions a week. There is money that could be given to these kids

i am a notre dame season ticket holder. The school sold a whole bunch of number five Jerseys last year. The player gets none of that money that would not have been made without the athlete excelling at what he does. the NCAA is making millions a week. There is money that could be given to these kids

What happens when the basketball players want money...   and the players from all the other teams on campus -- including the women??

If they're told 'no'  someone is going to court and I suspect they'll win....

While a college education is valuable, it's not actual-money. A full-ride isn't going feed a poverty-stricken athlete, for example...and they can't get a job obviously due to time constraints.  So, what should you do...let the kid go without a bite to eat, maybe without clean laundry..when they're the reason the NCAA is a multi-million (almost billion) dollar industry? And obviously everybody wouldn't mind a free-ride..but everybody doesn't make the NCAA/schools money. Don't get me wrong, I'm not claiming that every athlete should get paid an obscene amount of money..but a small amount isn't too much to ask. Will it be easy to fund such an endeavor? No, it won't be.  But to say it's impossible is far-fetched imo. How would you feel if someone was making millions of dollars off of you without seeing a cent of it (besides a college degree)? The players should see the fruits of their labor. JMO

The reason why kids can't see their autograph is because it would change college recruiting completely. The problem is the fact that it's in a free market. Consequently, boosters from schools could say, "if you come to Florida, I'll buy your jersey from you for XXXX amount of money. And that XXXX could be anything the booster/player wanted it to be. As a result, college recruiting would boil down to which school had the richest boosters/alumi. 

Would a poverty-stricken student be in a position to be at the college they are at playing football without the scholarship?  Odds are no.  Real money or not that's $20,000 to $40,000 a year a college kid doesn't have to come up with on his own.  The scholarships cover everything that kid needs to survive in college, housing, food, and clothing.  If they need more than that they do what any other poor college does and live cheap.  Trust me there are thousands of kids that have mastered living cheap in college for years.  Most kids that have a part-time job in school are using that money to pay for the cost of school, housing, food, or clothes which is already paid for under the college kid's scholarship.  I am also sure most of those kids who have a part-time job to try to just cover the basic costs of school would gladly trade not being able to have that job for a college scholarship. 

The fruits of their labor is their college education.  Again that's worth some where between $20,000 and $40,000 a year, that's more than some people make off their first jobs out of college with a college education.  That's not chump change.  That is a huge pay out already.  In fact if you add in the cost for scholarships most college don't turn a profit off of football.  That's why some smaller schools have done away with football it costs too much money already to pay for football.  Unless you are in a BCS conference or a major football program like Notre Dame odds are your school isn't making money off of football. They are already losing money off of it as it is.   You can't have partial rules either for the BCS schools and not the rest of D1 programs like the WAC, Mountain West, or MAC schools.  You have to have rules across the board.  A lot of schools would drop football if they had to start paying kids on top of giving them a scholarship.   

so the athlete is held to a different set of rules...

Any kid who has a scholarship has some set of rules it's the trade off to getting the money.  If they don't like the rules they don't have to take the scholarship.  I am sure a school would gladly let a kid pay for his own college, room and board, and clothes and still let him play football there.  They do it all the time in basketball it's called a walk on. 

What happens when the basketball players want money...   and the players from all the other teams on campus -- including the women??

If they're told 'no'  someone is going to court and I suspect they'll win....

Exactly Title IX if you pay one you have to pay the other.  You can't just pay the football team and be done with it.  Heck for some schools like IU or Butler it makes more sense to pay the basketball players than the football players because the basketball players are the ones who "make money" for the school.  Also in IU's case they can't exactly not pay the football players because then who would ever go to IU over say Ohio State or Penn State where they pay players. If you start paying players one of the three things would happen to schools, they would go bankrupt trying to pay for it, raises prices above already sky high levels for other students to cover the cost of it or just do away with sports because they can't afford it. 

Any kid who has a scholarship has some set of rules it's the trade off to getting the money. If they don't like the rules they don't have to take the scholarship. I am sure a school would gladly let a kid pay for his own college, room and board, and clothes and still let him play football there. They do it all the time in basketball it's called a walk on.

an academic scholarship student can write and have a book or paper published and make money from that publication. An athlete can't.. why?

Exactly Title IX if you pay one you have to pay the other. You can't just pay the football team and be done with it. Heck for some schools like IU or Butler it makes more sense to pay the basketball players than the football players because the basketball players are the ones who "make money" for the school. Also in IU's case they can't exactly not pay the football players because then who would ever go to IU over say Ohio State or Penn State where they pay players.

I'm guessing the kids on the iu football team weren't recruited by Ohio state or offered a scholarship

and how much of Te'o NFL contract are they going to get in exchange for putting him in position to make that contract?  On top of that he did get something for it, he didn't have to pay to go Notre Dame which is not cheap by anyone's standards, they paid for his food and clothes last year as well.  Sorry those are all costs he would have had to come with on his own without the scholarship.  Would you really have wanted Te'o having to miss practice twice a week so he could work his part-time job just so he could afford to go to Notre Dame in the first place?

I'm guessing the kids on the iu football team weren't recruited by Ohio state or offered a scholarship

Wasn't Gunner Kiel on Notre Dame's team last year after not going to IU where he originally committed?  IU does get kids that other schools want from time-to-time jus t not as many.  If other schools start paying players what kid is ever going to go to IU again?  IU isn't going to accept that so they would start paying kids too which is going to lead to the basketball players going hey what about us we are the ones who bring the real money here!  Then at a school like UCLA or Florida State that is good at baseball they are going to go what about us?  Then you are going to factor in Title IX on top of that and you are going to end up having to pay every single college kid who gets some kind of scholarship for sports regardless of if they turn a profit for the college or not and sooner or later colleges are just going to go forget this this program isn't making enough money drop that sport and I am sorry but that is not a good thing because that means is schools like Mary Hardin-Baylor aren't going to offer college football anymore and guys like Jerrell Freeman aren't going to have that door open to him.  It's a dangerous slop that I don't think many want to go down which is why they don't do it. 

Wasn't Gunner Kiel on Notre Dame's team last year after not going to IU where he originally committed? IU does get kids that other schools want from time-to-time jus t not as many. If other schools start paying players what kid is ever going to go to IU again? IU isn't going to accept that so they would start paying kids too which is going to lead to the basketball players going hey what about us we are the ones who bring the real money here! Then at a school like UCLA or Florida State that is good at baseball they are going to go what about us? Then you are going to factor in Title IX on top of that and you are going to end up having to pay every single college kid who gets some kind of scholarship for sports regardless of if they turn a profit for the college or not and sooner or later colleges are just going to go forget this this program isn't making enough money drop that sport and I am sorry but that is not a good thing because that means is schools like Mary Hardin-Baylor aren't going to offer college football anymore and guys like Jerrell Freeman aren't going to have that door open to him.

i think the money from the stipends should come from the NCAA. From TV deals memorabilia and the like. Not directly from the school itself

i think the money from the stipends should come from the NCAA. From TV deals memorabilia and the like. Not directly from the school itself

Most of that money already goes back to the schools in the form of payouts for making the NCAA tournaments or going to bowl games which most schools use to help fund their athletic departments which includes helping to pay for scholarships.  The NCAA it's self is a non profit organization any money they make is accounted for and most of it is distributed back to the schools.  The rest is used to pay for the costs that come with running the NCAA such as a staff and putting on things like the NCAA tournament in most sports or the National Title game. 

Just number crunching a fully funded college football scholarship program is at least 1,700,000 a year and that's IF you recruit only instate kids and only have 85 kids on your football team, which is the max number of full scholarships you can hand out.  That's before you factor in transportation, coaches salaries and upkeep of your facility plus the free gear they give the kids.  That's for football alone.  You have 125 D1 Football programs alone.  When you factor in all those schools and all those sports those TV contracts go very quickly. 

Universities should get out of football and basketball. Just let the pro leagues set up their own minor league systems..

I would have zero issue with that if that's what they wanted to do. There is a fair argument to be made for schools maybe focusing on the "Olympic" sports vs. Basketball and Football.  In basketball's case it's already there it's the Developmental League and they do NOT have the age restriction that the NBA does so there is nothing stopping a kid from going to play in the D-League if they would rather do that than go to school. 

Would a poverty-stricken student be in a position to be at the college they are at playing football without the scholarship?  Odds are no.  Real money or not that's $20,000 to $40,000 a year a college kid doesn't have to come up with on his own.  The scholarships cover everything that kid needs to survive in college, housing, food, and clothing.  If they need more than that they do what any other poor college does and live cheap.  Trust me there are thousands of kids that have mastered living cheap in college for years.  Most kids that have a part-time job in school are using that money to pay for the cost of school, housing, food, or clothes which is already paid for under the college kid's scholarship.  I am also sure most of those kids who have a part-time job to try to just cover the basic costs of school would gladly trade not being able to have that job for a college scholarship. 

The fruits of their labor is their college education.  Again that's worth some where between $20,000 and $40,000 a year, that's more than some people make off their first jobs out of college with a college education.  That's not chump change.  That is a huge pay out already.  In fact if you add in the cost for scholarships most college don't turn a profit off of football.  That's why some smaller schools have done away with football it costs too much money already to pay for football.  Unless you are in a BCS conference or a major football program like Notre Dame odds are your school isn't making money off of football. They are already losing money off of it as it is.   You can't have partial rules either for the BCS schools and not the rest of D1 programs like the WAC, Mountain West, or MAC schools.  You have to have rules across the board.  A lot of schools would drop football if they had to start paying kids on top of giving them a scholarship. Sounds like they're getting the short end of the stick when the NCAA wouldn't be anything without them. 

The full-ride scholarship doesn't necessarily cover everything (Plus which scholarship pays for the athletes' clothes, besides a few free t-shirts and such?). Players still have to purchase calculators, parking permits, lab equipment, etc. I just read an article that claims that Div 1 athletes have to pay around $3000 for school expenses that isn't covered by their full-ride scholarship/grants. Also, you keep claiming that everybody would love to have a full ride; however, not every kid is making the NCAA money. I wish I was Bill Gates...yet, I didn't put the work in/think of the ideas that he did..so I don't deserve it. As for the fruits of their labor being their college education...again, that will only pay off 4 years down the road when they've graduated. That college degree isn't going help the kid and his family while in school. And while you can say that the NCAA gives back most of their money (95% of it, give or take)..that 5 or so percent is a large sum of money.. I mean, the NCAA president gets paid about 1.6 million..not too shabby for a non-profit president. And that's not even including the tv deals and such. For example, the NCAA and CBS deal is worth around 11 Billion dollars just for the rights to broadcast three weeks (march madness) a year...that's not even including the rest of the bball season, BCS bowl game rights, and the football season. Furthermore, the B1G schools received around 25 million (from B1G network, and such sources) for being part of the conference, etc. So, you're saying that the NCAA/schools can't/shouldn't compensate the students just a little bit? 

The full-ride scholarship doesn't necessarily cover everything (Plus which scholarship pays for the athletes' clothes, besides a few free t-shirts and such?). Players still have to purchase calculators, parking permits, lab equipment, etc. I just read an article that claims that Div 1 athletes have to pay around $3000 for school expenses that isn't covered by their full-ride scholarship/grants. Also, you keep claiming that everybody would love to have a full ride; however, not every kid is making the NCAA money. I wish I was Bill Gates...yet, I didn't put the work in/think of the ideas that he did..so I don't deserve it. As for the fruits of their labor being their college education...again, that will only pay off 4 years down the road when they've graduated. That college degree isn't going help the kid and his family while in school. And while you can say that the NCAA gives back most of their money (95% of it, give or take)..that 5 or so percent is a large sum of money.. I mean, the NCAA president gets paid about 1.6 million..not too shabby for a non-profit president. And that's not even including the tv deals and such. For example, the NCAA and CBS deal is worth around 11 Billion dollars just for the rights to broadcast three weekends (march madness) a year...that's not even including the rest of the bball season, BCS bowl game rights, and the football season. Furthermore, the B1G schools received around 25 million (from B1G network, and such sources) for being part of the conference, etc. So, you're saying that the NCAA/schools can't/shouldn't compensate the students just a little bit? 

Have you seen the amount of free clothes a college kid gets if they are on an athletic team? They get a t-shirt for just about anything, sweats, travel clothes, shoes and what not.  No it's not built into the scholarship but they are still getting it from the school and they don't pay for themselves.  Are they going to be dressy super nice clothes?  No.  Are they clothes that college kids wear all the time?  Yes.  So that's what I mean by clothes. 

If a college kid is on a full-ride college scholarship the college picks up the cost of things that go with class that can be obtained at the local college book store IE the cost of lab costs.  That's built into the cost of the class because most schools schedule those classes as a lab just for that very reason.  If I didn't have to pay for $20,000 a year to go to school I think I would be able to cover the costs of a calculator and not complain. 

At most schools you do not have to have a car to go to school.  A lot of schools you can walk around them to get to where you need or you can get a ride from a friend to get where you have to be just like any other college kid that can't afford the parking permit.  It is not required to attend college.  So it is not a basic need.  It's an added perk.  Also, most schools have a relatively cheap parking option that might require a further walk to get to your car but if you are truly cash strapped it's an option you can use.  For instance my school offered parking at the football stadium of all places for $45 a year.  The only catches were you couldn't park your car there on game days (parking on campus on the weekends was free) and it was a bit of a walk to get to the car.  Like anything in life the closer I wanted to park the more I had to pay. 

If you look at the costs these kids have to pay for outside of their scholarship they are minimal when compared to what if covered n their college scholarship.  Maybe rather than always looking for me at some point they should be grateful that they are getting something that has a value of $20,000 or more a year that they might not other wise be able to afford.  On top of that if they use it they are being educated to be able to get a job that they wouldn't be able to get without it and because they can play a game they are getting an opportunity that many do not and that is a chance to get an education and better your life. 

That 3000 figure you threw out there accounts for all college athletes not just the football ones.  The reason that number goes up for them is that most of them are not on full scholarships outside of basketball.  Even they get less from the school they aren't the ones saying they should get paid.  Most college football players in college are on a full ride.  There expenses outside of that are lower than say a volleyball player at a school because they have a bigger scholarship. Football players get full rides more often than other programs at schools because they make more money for the school than other sports thus they are rewarded more as they should be.  For example at my school the track team had one scholarship they could divide up for the whole track team while the football team had 85 scholarships just because of that.  So there is recognition for the fact football players bring in the money to support the rest of the programs the school offers. 

That 5% of money goes towards paying for the staff it takes to run the NCAA, the lawyer they have to have, and other things that come with running the NCAA, like organizing and running all the NCAA tournaments for all the sports across all the levels in the NCAA.  That's a big chunk of change too.  Again, it's a non profit organization they can't just sit there and pocket all the money they are watched to make sure they don't just do that.  Everything they bring in has to be accounted for at the end of the year.   You can point to the president of the organization and say wow that's a lot but look at how much commissioner of for profit sports make, Roger Goodell for example made 29.49 million to run the NFL in 2011.  David Stern earns $20 million plus to run the NBA, Bud Selig gets 22 million to run MLB, Gary Bettman gets close to 10 million a year to run hockey, yes hockey.  1.6 million doesn't look so large now does it? 

I am saying the student athletes are already being compensated with between $20,000 to $40,000 (if on a full athletic scholarship) a year that people treat like is nothing. 

I am saying the student athletes are already being compensated with between $20,000 to $40,000 (if on a full athletic scholarship) a year that people treat like is nothing. 

Not to mention it's tax free. Those paying for it themselves would have to earn significantly more than $20,000-$40,000 to foot the bill.