Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is this the other shoe dropping for Manziel?

the cost for the school is far less than the amount they charge the non scholarship student.

Right which is why I brought up what Dan Dakich (who knows more about this than you or me because he lived this as both a college coach and a college scholarship athlete) said about it when he talked about it, he said if you spend your money wisely when you are on scholarship you have money to run around with and spend.  What they do is send you a check quarterly for your scholarship, it's up for you to take that money and pay the school, pay for your housing, pay for your books, and pay for your food.  If you get just say $800 a month for a housing and you live off campus you can get a house four or five other guys and pay less than $800 a month for rent and what you don't spend on rest is yours to spend.  So if you handle your money right you can have running around money.  The problem is a lot of these kids don't want to live cheap or with in their means, they are trying to live like millineries before they are millineries. 

Right which is why I brought up what Dan Dakich (who knows more about this than you or me because he lived this as both a college coach and a college scholarship athlete) said about it when he talked about it, he said if you spend your money wisely when you are on scholarship you have money to run around with and spend.  What they do is send you a check quarterly for your scholarship, it's up for you to take that money and pay the school, pay for your housing, pay for your books, and pay for your food.  If you get just say $800 a month for a housing and you live off campus you can get a house four or five other guys and pay less than $800 a month for rent and what you don't spend on rest is yours to spend.  So if you handle your money right you can have running around money.  The problem is a lot of these kids don't want to live cheap or with in their means, they are trying to live like millineries before they are millineries.

Plus they are still eligible for the Pell Grant

Have you seen the amount of free clothes a college kid gets if they are on an athletic team? They get a t-shirt for just about anything, sweats, travel clothes, shoes and what not.  No it's not built into the scholarship but they are still getting it from the school and they don't pay for themselves.  Are they going to be dressy super nice clothes?  No.  Are they clothes that college kids wear all the time?  Yes.  So that's what I mean by clothes. 

If a college kid is on a full-ride college scholarship the college picks up the cost of things that go with class that can be obtained at the local college book store IE the cost of lab costs.  That's built into the cost of the class because most schools schedule those classes as a lab just for that very reason.  If I didn't have to pay for $20,000 a year to go to school I think I would be able to cover the costs of a calculator and not complain. 

At most schools you do not have to have a car to go to school.  A lot of schools you can walk around them to get to where you need or you can get a ride from a friend to get where you have to be just like any other college kid that can't afford the parking permit.  It is not required to attend college.  So it is not a basic need.  It's an added perk.  Also, most schools have a relatively cheap parking option that might require a further walk to get to your car but if you are truly cash strapped it's an option you can use.  For instance my school offered parking at the football stadium of all places for $45 a year.  The only catches were you couldn't park your car there on game days (parking on campus on the weekends was free) and it was a bit of a walk to get to the car.  Like anything in life the closer I wanted to park the more I had to pay. 

If you look at the costs these kids have to pay for outside of their scholarship they are minimal when compared to what if covered n their college scholarship.  Maybe rather than always looking for me at some point they should be grateful that they are getting something that has a value of $20,000 or more a year that they might not other wise be able to afford.  On top of that if they use it they are being educated to be able to get a job that they wouldn't be able to get without it and because they can play a game they are getting an opportunity that many do not and that is a chance to get an education and better your life. 

That 5% of money goes towards paying for the staff it takes to run the NCAA, the lawyer they have to have, and other things that come with running the NCAA, like organizing and running all the NCAA tournaments for all the sports across all the levels in the NCAA.  That's a big chunk of change too.  Again, it's a non profit organization they can't just sit there and pocket all the money they are watched to make sure they don't just do that.  Everything they bring in has to be accounted for at the end of the year.   You can point to the president of the organization and say wow that's a lot but look at how much commissioner of for profit sports make, Roger Goodell for example made 29.49 million to run the NFL in 2011.  David Stern earns $20 million plus to run the NBA, Bud Selig gets 22 million to run MLB, Gary Bettman gets close to 10 million a year to run hockey, yes hockey.  1.6 million doesn't look so large now does it? 

I am saying the student athletes are already being compensated with between $20,000 to $40,000 (if on a full athletic scholarship) a year that people treat like is nothing. 

Well a parking permit isn't necessarily a perk when you live off campus, unless you want to walk back and forth to the practice field and your apartment; but true..not necessarily a need. As for the extra lab and other school related costs, those don't get covered..at least at my school. I go to a B1G school and know a few football players personally, they had to pay for i-clickers, lab googles, cd-discs, etc out of their pocket. It may be different at your school, but I don't see how the NCAA would allow that.

As for the free ride situation, lol..I'm not saying it's a bad deal. Paying for school atm, I can appreciate the value of a full-ride scholarship. However, the thing you have to keep in mind is that every student-athlete is not getting an engineer degree/going to professional school (sometimes they don't even graduate). It's not too uncommon to have these players be "general studies" majors, or other majors that aren't necessarily "money" degrees that are in demand. Ultimately, it's up to them what major they pick..but alot of kids going to high profile universities like Notre Dame, Northwestern, etc. can't handle the academic coursework with the workload they have athletically..so they choose a major they can manage in order to be academically eligible. True, some people, like Luck, do get sound degrees...but, again its not like everyone does.

Well, for Goodell and company..you have to keep in mind the revenue each league brings. Relatively, the NFL makes more than the NCAA. According to a couple of sources, the NFL makes about 10x more than the NCAA. So with that being said, Goodell makes about about 2x than Emmert on relative terms (assuming the NCAA is a for-profit organization..yet it isn't)...so you can only consider the 5% of NCAA's actual revenue when comparing the leagues. Therefore, the NFL actually makes 200x more than the NCAA when assuming the NCAA gives away 95% of it's revenue...so Goodell makes only 15x the amount as Emmert does even though his company makes 200x the revenue NCAA generates. So..on actual relative terms, Emmert gets paid more.

Again, I'm not saying that the free-ride is worthless. It's great. However, when you think about how much revenue this business actually generates...it's pretty unfair to the players that could use a small stipend (again, considering they're essentially the product). Everybody has an opinion on this obviously. If you ask Coach Spurrier..he believes stipends should be implemented, while Coach Stoops thinks otherwise. Anyways, I respect your opinion and see what you're saying, but I have mine. So..with that being said, we're just going to agree to disagree.

What do you think they do with the money they make off that?  They turn around and use that money to help pay for the athletic program or in this case scholarships.  It's not like Johnny Football doesn't benefit form that because he is on scholarship.

Another thought for those who are dumping on the NCAA....   (always an incredibly easy target....)

And the thought is this....

Supposing tomorrow the NCAA said it's OK for the players to profit from selling their autograph, or their picture and make some money to ease the cost of school....   suddenly,  it's legal.

Here are some of the new problems we'd have.   While Johnny Football gets big bucks,  most of the guys on the team would struggle to make $10 off their autograph.    

Also....   where they play big time football...   where football is king...    I don't think it's hard to imagine a scenario where the big time program says to the big time recruit that you come to goo old State U, and we'll make sure your autograph sessions pay you a minimum of 5 figures...    get us to a BCS bowl game and it'll be 6 figures....   win us a NC and it'll be big 6 figures...

Once you open the money door --- even just a little --- it's hard (impossible?)  for others not to shove that door wide open and suddenly the flood gates are open and the money is pouring in....      

How do the smaller schools compete with all that?    There are smaller school in every major conference.  SEC, Pac-12,  Big 10,  ACC, and on and on...     how do those schools compete?    And once you leave those major conferences,  how do the medium and smaller conferences compete....

Like I said....    solving this money problem is much, much easier said than done....

Just some food for thought late on a Sunday night....     (probably Monday by the time you read this....)

Well a parking permit isn't necessarily a perk when you live off campus, unless you want to walk back and forth to the practice field and your apartment; but true..not necessarily a need. As for the extra lab and other school related costs, those don't get covered..at least at my school. I go to a B1G school and know a few football players personally, they had to pay for i-clickers, lab googles, cd-discs, etc out of their pocket. It may be different at your school, but I don't see how the NCAA would allow that.

As for the free ride situation, lol..I'm not saying it's a bad deal. Paying for school atm, I can appreciate the value of a full-ride scholarship. However, the thing you have to keep in mind is that every student-athlete is not getting an engineer degree/going to professional school (sometimes they don't even graduate). It's not too uncommon to have these players be "general studies" majors, or other majors that aren't necessarily "money" degrees that are in demand. Ultimately, it's up to them what major they pick..but alot of kids going to high profile universities like Notre Dame, Northwestern, etc. can't handle the academic coursework with the workload they have athletically..so they choose a major they can manage in order to be academically eligible. True, some people, like Luck, do get sound degrees...but, again its not like everyone does.

Well, for Goodell and company..you have to keep in mind the revenue each league brings. Relatively, the NFL makes more than the NCAA. According to a couple of sources, the NFL makes about 10x more than the NCAA. So with that being said, Goodell makes about about 2x than Emmert on relative terms (assuming the NCAA is a for-profit organization..yet it isn't)...so you can only consider the 5% of NCAA's actual revenue when comparing the leagues. Therefore, the NFL actually makes 200x more than the NCAA when assuming the NCAA gives away 95% of it's revenue...so Goodell makes only 15x the amount as Emmert does even though his company makes 200x the revenue NCAA generates. So..on actual relative terms, Emmert gets paid more.

Again, I'm not saying that the free-ride is worthless. It's great. However, when you think about how much revenue this business actually generates...it's pretty unfair to the players that could use a small stipend (again, considering they're essentially the product). Everybody has an opinion on this obviously. If you ask Coach Spurrier..he believes stipends should be implemented, while Coach Stoops thinks otherwise. Anyways, I respect your opinion and see what you're saying, but I have mine. So..with that being said, we're just going to agree to disagree.

Again, lab costs are built into the cost of a class at most schools.  They are helped to pay for that.  Also I went to a smaller D1 school so if they were paying for it you can bet a school like Ohio State or Texas A&M is paying for it.  If that's still not enough there are pell grants as pointed out before and they can always take out a loan just like any other college student.  Most of those costs that you listed before are some what just every day living costs that are going to have to be paid for no matter if the kid goes to school or not, at some point there comes a cost to just living in this society.  Yes it might be hard to meet ALL those needs regardless but my point is then be grateful you are getting a free education because you have a gift to play a game that other wise you would have had no way to afford.  It's not like they are getting nothing.  They are getting a degree that should help them escape the life they were living before it.  That has value to it even if people try to ignore it. 

See my point about IF they take care advantage of the situation they are in.  You are right some of them don't.  However, just because the kid doesn't take advantage of the chance he or she has to get the best education they can at the school they are in doesn't mean it's the school's job to off-set that.  Trust me most of the coaches of these teams want to make sure their kids graduate because that looks good to parents when recruiting so they get all the help they can get to make sure they complete their degree.  Then on top of that they have the advantage of having their out there.  A lot of local business like to hire ex athletes at schools because again it helps make them look good.  Also just having a college degree vs. not having one is a huge advantage when looking for work. 

Okay the NFL makes 10 times what the NCAA makes but Goodell is making 22 times what the head of the NCAA makes.  Also Goodell runs 32 teams and one league, the head of the NCAA has to run all the divisions of college athletics and all the sports the NCAA offers.  I know if I was going to be interviewing for that job and was qualified I would be pointing out facts like that so in order to get anyone with any kind of qualifications you are going to have to pay something.  Since he's making a fraction of what the for profit sports commish's make I think the NCAA is getting a pretty good deal.  If the NCAA was a for profit organization you can believe he would be making significant more than he does. 

The amount of money that the NCAA generates is already being spent, again it's a non-for-profit organization so are the schools that are members of it, all the money they make has to be accounted for.  It's not like they have extra money to start paying players with.  They would have to get ride of something to do that and the place that they would start with be none revenue generating sports and I don't think the NCAA is prepared to take the PR black eye that would come with cutting none revenue generating sports in favor of paying football players who have a much better shot at making money off of their sport than say a college volleyball player does. 

Also where does it stop?  if you pay football players Title IX is going to make you pay that many female college athletes to start with and then what's going to stop basketball players at a school like IU from saying hey we make money for IU not the football team we should get paid!  Also it'll trickle down what about kids that go to Mount Union they are going to say it's not our fault we go to a smaller school we win all the time we should get paid and it just trickles down you could end up in a situation like at Butler when they would have to end up paying college football players for a sport they don't even offer scholarships for and where the basketball players are going to rightfully say he we took this school from the Horizon League to the Big East why aren't we getting paid? 

It could be worse for these football players, the schools don't have to get them scholarships, the NCAA could announce tomorrow that they are no longer going to offer college scholarships and say they are going to invest that money in other areas such as making sure all their schools can offer move athletic programs.  Then those kids wouldn't be getting anything for playing football in college.  All of the sudden then this "not real money" as it was called before is going to become very real. 

Sorry for someone who worked very hard to get through college and had to make sacrifices to do it and who did things like live with two football players for two years, traveled with the women's basketball team and men's volleyball team in college I don't feel like they need more than their scholarships.  It grinds on me when people act like they are entitled to that for lack of a better term and since they are entitled to it it doesn't really count as getting something in exchange for playing their sport.  I know that's the crux of your argument but I think some really take those college scholarships that college athletes get for granted.  I also want to be clear I am all for giving a kid a college scholarship in exchange for playing football for that school.  I understand they bring money to help fund the athletic department that I did not with that said I also understand that scholarship is already a reward for helping to bring money to the school. 

so why are the athletes prohibited from getting jobs? Are academic scholorship students given the same restrictions?

I thought a proposition was passed like 10 or so years ago that allowed student athletes to be employed as long as certain guidelines were followed.

Seems like it was NCAA proposition 60 something. 

Am I nutz, or are you saying that this propositon has since been rescinded?

Plus they are still eligible for the Pell Grant

I just want to add that I think there is also some sort of student athlete fund that assists those in need.

It covers such things as educational supplies, clothing, and emergency travel. 

I thought a proposition was passed like 10 or so years ago that allowed student athletes to be employed as long as certain guidelines were followed.

Seems like it was NCAA proposition 60 something. 

Am I nutz, or are you saying that this propositon has since been rescinded?

http://technique.library.gatech.edu/issues/spring1998/may1/news2.html

you are not nuts, there is the proof of it.  They can earn up to $2,000 a year and the athletic department can help them find a job. 

On top of it as it says towards the end of this article they already had to right work over the summer, this just cleared the way so they could work during the school year if they elected to.  As it also states towards the end most athletes do not work because their schedules just do not allow it. 

All things considered...these are the reasons I heartily root for Air Force, Navy and Army when it comes to college football.

Talent-wise 99% of them will never see an NFL field....and I'm fine with that...they still play their hearts out on Saturday. And football is certainly not why they go to those institutions anyway.

There was a time when that was the case with just about every so-called "student athlete".

Yeah....the academies have their occasional scandal where someone cheated on thier astrophysics final or something of that sort, but little to nothing of the filth we see at colleges where football is religion.

At the same time....not every individual that has been physically gifted to play football should have only one avenue to the NFL, especially when the athlete has little or no inclination to take advantage of the educational opportunity, which I consider fair compensation, by the way.

A minor league football system as a feeder to the NFL would help solve the problem.....exactly how someone would pull that off, I have no idea....but I wish some zillionaire or corporate sponsors and the NFL would partner up and try.

If a kid wants to earn something less than an NFL salary after high school and still maintain a realistic shot at making it into the NFL....then why not?

All I know is these stories of dirty dealings at Miami and Ohio State and USC and everywhere else....and now this * Manziel....are really getting old.

The problems with that idea -- as well intentioned as it is -- are many....

First....  if you're doing it for football,  then you're doing it for basketball....   those are the two real money making sports.

Second....   once you're doing it for those two sports,  and they're both men's sports,  then you've got to do it for the women's sports...   and once you do it for the women's sports,  then you're going to be doing it for all of the sports,  men and women.

Third....    long before you reach the point of doing it for every team sport on every college campus,  the problem of cost comes up.    Where is that money coming from?    A little known fact in college sports is that only roughly 25 schools +/- are profitable at the end of the year.    Most either break even,  or lose money.    Once you start paying all of your student athletes a small stipend,  all that money quickly adds up....   it's just cost prohibitive...

So,  you're darned if you do,  and you're darned if you don't....

The problems with money and the NCAA are very, very difficult and complicated.    Not an easy fix.

You make great points NCF, but why can a university make millions off a star athlete while he is forbidden from getting a small percentage of the profits? Yes, you're right. It is a slippery slope & where do you stop?

Lets not kid ourselves here...     most of the TOP players in major college sports ARE GETTING PAID.

:thmsup:

Precisely, if a kid is a premier talent & fills stadium seats, he will get compensated 1 way or another through the Athletic Dept. or university alumni association.

Manziel's family comes from oil money....seems odd he would seek money for autographs.

Yup, this is why this scandal makes no sense. Johnny isn't exactly pinching pennies together to scrape by now is he? Well said BOTT.

again, are academic scholarship students held to the same rules as athletic scholarship students?

why can't a kid sell his autograph? makes zero sense

You know, I'm not against a kid making money off his name. (only)  Programs make money off his, and the other teammates, game results.  OTOH, since he is not a professional, and part of a team effort, i think the money a kid(s) make on a team should go into a team kitty to be distributed amongst all of the team.  Like recruits in the armed forces, they're in it together. They suffer together, the enjoy the spoils together. One can ruin it for all, and one can gather privileges all enjoy.  When the kid becomes pro, he gets paid via a contract.  His name gets used as his union has negotiated.  Later, I might be talked into a small, but reasonable, stipend as well.

You know, I'm not against a kid making money off his name. (only) Programs make money off his, and the other teammates, game results. OTOH, since he is not a professional, and part of a team effort, i think the money a kid(s) make on a team should go into a team kitty to be distributed amongst all of the team. Like recruits in the armed forces, they're in it together. They suffer together, the enjoy the spoils together. One can ruin it for all, and one can gather privileges all enjoy. When the kid becomes pro, he gets paid via a contract. His name gets used as his union has negotiated. Later, I might be talked into a small, but reasonable, stipend as well.

i could support that

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=247910

http://technique.library.gatech.edu/issues/spring1998/may1/news2.html

you are not nuts, there is the proof of it. They can earn up to $2,000 a year and the athletic department can help them find a job.

On top of it as it says towards the end of this article they already had to right work over the summer, this just cleared the way so they could work during the school year if they elected to. As it also states towards the end most athletes do not work because their schedules just do not allow it.

2000 a year seems fair. The school only made tens of millions of him and his likeness

http://m.theweek.com/article.php?id=247910

2000 a year seems fair. The school only made tens of millions of him and his likeness

The other argument would be how much would his likeness be worth if the school hadn't marketed him?  Say he had just gone to the Arena League or CFL and played football professionally right out of high school where he could sell his likeness and autographs all he wants then how much would his autograph be worth?  Where does the school get the money to market guys like Johnny Football?  Off of the fund raisers and things they do with his likeness.  So to pretend like he's not benefiting from this at all is false. 

On top of that I still say you are way under valuing the value of a scholarship.  Kids who get a college degree earn on average a million dollars more in their life time than kids who don't.  So if an athlete takes advantage of what is put in front of him with that scholarship it's going to pay off down the road for the kid in a big way.  Again, if the kid doesn't take advantage of it that's on him. 

The more I think about this I think I would be less against changing the rules to let players make money off their likeness in college than I am against the idea of college's or the NCAA paying athletes.  Now with that said, I still think changing the rules to let players make money of their likeness in college is bad idea because it sets you down a slippery slop.  If you do that what stop a guy like Phil Knight from saying hey Johnny, I'll give you $10 million to sign 10 autographs for Nike if you come to Oregon but if you don't well then no deal?  This is an area where it has been proven if you give these guys an inch they take the whole football field if they can and still try to take more. 

I will say this, it would help people who think that athletes should be paid in college to not under value the scholarship they get so much.  Often times people who are on the pro pay the athletes side of the argument then to treat that like the scholarship isn't worth anything when in reality it's worth anywhere between $20 to $60 a year (I did a little more research on my numbers from before) depending on where you go to school.  Then there is the long term benefits that come with getting a college degree.

With that all said, I think we've reached the point of it's time to say we agree to disagree.  So I'll leave you with the last word if you would like to have it. 

The more I think about this I think I would be less against changing the rules to let players make money off their likeness in college than I am against the idea of college's or the NCAA paying athletes.  Now with that said, I still think changing the rules to let players make money of their likeness in college is bad idea because it sets you down a slippery slop.  If you do that what stop a guy like Phil Knight from saying hey Johnny, I'll give you $10 million to sign 10 autographs for Nike if you come to Oregon but if you don't well then no deal?  This is an area where it has been proven if you give these guys an inch they take the whole football field if they can and still try to take more. 

The bigger issue for me is that it can have the propensity to persuade young recruits.  Say that if you go to School A, this a card dealer will buy autographs only from star players, but you'll get $100K over the course of the year.  But, if you go to School B, a different card dealer will buy starters autographs, but you'll only make $25K per year.  I don't mind schools competing for kids, but not by asking them business decisions like this.

The bigger issue for me is that it can have the propensity to persuade young recruits. Say that if you go to School A, this a card dealer will buy autographs only from star players, but you'll get $100K over the course of the year. But, if you go to School B, a different card dealer will buy starters autographs, but you'll only make $25K per year. I don't mind schools competing for kids, but not by asking them business decisions like this.

guess what.... that already happens. Do you really think schools that have massive TV deals don't use that as a recruiting tool. Do you think MAC schools can out recruit the SEC?

guess what.... that already happens. Do you really think schools that have massive TV deals don't use that as a recruiting tool. Do you think MAC schools can out recruit the SEC?

Believe me, I know it already happens.  But if anything, there's no reason to add fuel to the fire by giving players a way to make money off of their notoriety. 

Pryor = 4-5 games for trading his own property for Tat's.

Bryant = 10 games for lying about having dinner with Prime Time.

Manziel = ?????? My guess... Out for season. see you in round 3 NFL Draft.

If he gets suspended for the season, he has to enter the supplemental draft doesn't he?

All semantics aside, the NCAA and the colleges are essentially already acting as these kids' agents/promoters. They give them education (mostly, in whatever easy degree will mesh most conveniently with football). give them exposure, access to facilities for development and healthcare, and market them. In exchange, they keep all revenue the player makes and the player cannot deal with other agents- that's called exclusivity. The reason selling autographs for personal gain is illegal is because it's harder for the school to track and confiscate that revenue stream for itself.

Call me crazy, but that's a lousy deal for those players who have the ability to make more just by signing their name. Perhaps the NCAA should drop the pretense that it's not already these kids' agents:  allow athletes to profit off of their name but take a cut of the action like a good agent would, as opposed to taking all the action and acting like these guys are criminals for wanting to make some extra cash by writing their own name down.

All semantics aside, the NCAA and the colleges are essentially already acting as these kids' agents/promoters. They give them education (mostly, in whatever easy degree will mesh most conveniently with football). give them exposure, access to facilities for development and healthcare, and market them. In exchange, they keep all revenue the player makes and the player cannot deal with other agents- that's called exclusivity. The reason selling autographs for personal gain is illegal is because it's harder for the school to track and confiscate that revenue stream for itself.

Call me crazy, but that's a lousy deal for those players who have the ability to make more just by signing their name. Perhaps the NCAA should drop the pretense that it's not already these kids' agents:  allow athletes to profit off of their name but take a cut of the action like a good agent would, as opposed to taking all the action and acting like these guys are criminals for wanting to make some extra cash by writing their own name down.

I agree with this, with one exception. Very few of those said athletes will ever sniff, let alone succeed at a professional level.

I agree with this, with one exception. Very few of those said athletes will ever sniff, let alone succeed at a professional level.

This is absolutely true. That's why I don't see the harm in allowing players who may be college favorites, but have no pro potential, the chance to make a little extra cash on the side. And, rather than imply it'd be some slippery slope where every big time player gets millions and the other guys get zilch, it's the lesser known players who'd benefit the most because they can cash in before they leave and are forgotten about. The whales, like Manziel, would be big regardless. However, is it really the downfall of amateur athletics if I wanted to pay to have the starting offensive line be spokesmen for my pizza place and give a cut back to my school as their share? To me, that's a win/win. Even give the school the right to refuse if it'd hard their image. It's much healthier than the zero tolerance, but hey, sign this helmet so we can auction it for ourselves for $15k system.

Expanding it past college football to the NCAA at large, there's plenty of sports where there are practically, if not literally, zero pro prospects for even the best of the best. I say give 'em a chance to strike for what little extra they can get while the iron's hot. 

Ah, the good ol' NCAA. 

An organization of our finest schools, where a college can reap millions off of a kid and then suspend him for getting a slice of pizza under the wrong circumstances. Or, in this case, a few thousand slices.

This is gonna get interesting... 

Speak the truth about the slave trade known as the NCAA. 

• 2 weeks later...

If he gets suspended for the season, he has to enter the supplemental draft doesn't he?

Don't think so.  Dez Bryant was suspended his final season and he went to the regular draft.  The supplemental draft comes into play for players that are ruled ineligible after the deadline to apply for the draft.  If the NCAA comes back a month from now and suspends him for the season, he can just go ahead and apply for the regular draft when the time comes. If Manziel decides to stay in school (i know, he more than likely won't), and on May 1st 2014, the NCAA comes back and rules him academically ineligible for the 2014-2015 season (shoulda attended those online courses JFF!) Then with the regular draft already taken place, Manziel could apply for the supplemental.  Think Terrelle Pryor.