Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

German food at tailgates

BProland85

I have a few ideas..some may seem off the wall, but if made right, they're delicious....

The night before the game put a 5-10 lb boneless pork roast in the pressure cooker, along with crushed black pepper and some garlic salt....smother it in sauerkraut, cover it totally under water..and let it slow cook all night..making sure the water level stay above the meat..pop the pressure cooker in the car, if you want you can make up some homemade mashed potatoes, smothered in butter as a side, and have pork and sauerkraut along with mashed potatoes..or you can buy some fresh potato buns, or rolls and have pulled pork and sauerkraut sandwiches..or even smaller rolls and make sliders...you could also caramelize some onions in a pan for on top as well if you don't care for sauerkraut..

For something interesting, that may sound weird, you could get some egg roll wraps, wonton wraps or some dough..(you could flatten out some croissant rolls like from Pillsbury in your dairy section. and have pork and sauerkraut egg rolls or wontons, cooked in a pan like pot stickers, or if you bring a small deep fryer..fry those babies up like empanadas or pierogies..(pierogies are considered Polish, but are often eaten in Germany as well.

Or if you want..you could take some veal, or some of that crock pot pork, bread it and pan fry it for schnitzel sliders or patties as well...the onions would be good as well for this, along with some sauteed mushrooms and brown gravy you can dip, since its a tailgate its less sloppy..

even though I can't drink, have a lot of Lowenbrau ready...

or if you aren't fancy, cook up some sauerkraut ahead of time and make * dogs

One hint..if you make brats..do not use Lowenbrau..use a cheap beer like Bud or Pabst...I think its the best when making beer-batter or cooking brats...save the good beer for drinking..

One hint..when you cook sauerkraut slow..make sure you always add some black pepper and gralic salt...(don't use cloves ads they tend to get big chunks mixed in and you don't want to bite into big piece of garlic

But trust me, cooking pork roasts and sauerkraut long and slow, makes the meat so tender and juicy, and the meat soaks up the flavor, enhancing the meats flavor, and ensuring its very moist.....even if you don't like sauerkraut...you'll love the meat cooked in it..

Or, you can make ahead of time and re-heat some chicken corn soup..boil off a couple of chickens,(season the broth with whatever you like..) pull off all the chicken,  and the reboil the bones for a better broth in a separate pan...then game day morning, bout an hour before you leave, butt in 12 hard-boiled egg white..(DO NOT USE THE YOLKS) and some celery, a few carrots and 2 bags of frozen silver queen white corn, and let cook until you leave, if you want to butt some noodles at  that time, feel free to add it in the AM, that way they don't overcook and get too soggy...then re-heat when you serve at the game. make sure its seasoned well with salt and pepper....Noting like some good hot soup before a game in Indy in the winter,

If you try these sometime..I hope you enjoy them..I grew up i Amish country, so i can make a lot of German style recipes..

A local dairy back home has a page full of Amish style recipes (Amish are German descent...take a gander and see if any tickle your fancy..

http://www.turkeyhill.com/recipes/lancaster-county-recipes.aspx