Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sports Science - Barkevious Mingo

Pretty impressive. Wouldn't mind seeing him in Blue and White next season.

http://youtu.be/YgfI4ua6dDw

This is exactly why I roll my eyes at these mathematical & statistical findings on ESPN. Who cares? Can Barkevious Migo play when the pads are on or not? I care about making plays on the field not wingspan, jumping ability, or stopping a swinging bag in a scientific lab. Just my 2 cents. 

I just want to be clear. I have no objection to FightLikeSin posting this video. I just think that these Sports Science reports are pointless & prove nothing. My issue is with ESPN producers for wasting my time & displaying video segments that validate nothing of value or significance IMHO.

Game tape & 1 on 1 interviews among NFL franchises tells you everything you need to know about a player's ability to make it to the NFL level. Everything else is window dressing for the press.

This is exactly why I roll my eyes at these mathematical & statistical findings on ESPN. Who cares? Can Barkevious Migo play when the pads are on or not? I care about making plays on the field not wingspan, jumping ability, or stopping a swinging bag in a scientific lab. Just my 2 cents. 

That's your business. As a person who is very much into science and physics, it is a game of numbers. You might hear a sappy story of someone having "more heart" but that is complete nonsense and oddly enough, something I roll my eyes at. At the end of the day, you can have as much heart and determination as you want, but you need the physicality to carry out your mind's will. 

They highlighted Fleener last year and he had only an ok season. Mingo will probably go 10 picks ahead of ours.

He was also injured and under-utilized under Arians, I think we'll see much more of him this season. Regardless, if you watched him in college, there are catches that he made that Dwayne Allen ain't makin! He has all the traits of the Graham's and Gronk's in the league. His potential is what these metrics showcase and that is something to be excited about. 

As far as where Mingo goes, I suggested we take Courtney Upshaw with the 2nd Round pick last year and I had to hear about how wrong I was then about where he'd go...nothing is guaranteed. Except Luck to the Colts, RG3/Skins...that was a guarantee. :) 

That's your business. As a person who is very much into science and physics, it is a game of numbers. You might hear a sappy story of someone having "more heart" but that is complete * and oddly enough, something I roll my eyes at. At the end of the day, you can have as much heart and determination as you want, but you need the physicality to carry out your mind's will. 

Numbers have value as they are often used to determine a player's credentials for the NFL HOF in Canton,Ohio & yes there are certainly fans that do approach this game from a science & physics perspective. No argument there.

But, when Steve Sabol of NFL Films, created a DVD of a SB Championship team, does he just have the voice over narrator read dry, statistical data for over 60 minutes or does he encapsulate the emotional intensity of that Championship run with personal interviews & a moving musical score to accompany the journey?

I think we both know it is an integration of the 2 realities with a heavier emphasis on gritty authenticity & a musical tapestry of emotional highs & lows among the team mates, fans, & coaches. Numbers have merit, but numbers isolated & alone are not what fans remember. Key moments of player storytelling & remarkable musical scores  are what people remember not laws of physics & leverage FightLikeSin. 

That's your business. As a person who is very much into science and physics, it is a game of numbers. You might hear a sappy story of someone having "more heart" but that is complete * and oddly enough, something I roll my eyes at. At the end of the day, you can have as much heart and determination as you want, but you need the physicality to carry out your mind's will.

I think history has proven exceptions across all sports where guys without amazing physical talents can be more effective than guys with exceptional abilities.

I think history has proven exceptions across all sports where guys without amazing physical talents can be more effective than guys with exceptional abilities.

Kellen Moore would be a more accurate example. The most winningest QB in NCAA history. Goes undrafted. Why? Because he doesn't have the physical tools/metrics to be a starting QB in the NFL. Case and point. 

Sports science is fun. Isn't that what little boys dream of? Being able to jump higher, run faster and be stronger than others? Randy Moss is a good example. Dominant physicality with football acumen. His only problem was his attitude, yet he still proved that superior talent wins in this league. Average talent with good work ethic gets you on special teams.