Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dumervil Signs with Baltimore

bayone

Let Harbaugh tell it they were going to "stick with Smith" all the way, but I think he would have been traded had PM decided to play in San Francisco. Kaepernick learning behind Manning for 3 or 4 years would make him a valuable asset in the 49ers future SB aspirations as well.

I think it was more the 49ers trying to put pressure on Smith to get a quick deal done because Peyton was out there. Their qb situation wasn't as dire as the other teams that courted Peyton. It also would have caused some more cap issues for them too I believe. I could be wrong but I still think it was mild interest.

I think it was more the 49ers trying to put pressure on Smith to get a quick deal done because Peyton was out there. Their qb situation wasn't as dire as the other teams that courted Peyton. It also would have caused some more cap issues for them too I believe. I could be wrong but I still think it was mild interest.

Yeah you could be right. Maybe their staff was genuine when they said they were keeping Smith. It made more sense anyway, as PM would have been running his own offense and acting as coach/OC, which I'm sure Roman wouldn't have liked, same with cap issue.

Yeah you could be right. Maybe their staff was genuine when they said they were keeping Smith. It made more sense anyway, as PM would have been running his own offense and acting as coach/OC, which I'm sure Roman wouldn't have liked, same with cap issue.

Who knows. Everyone wants to say it was stupid for Peyton to pass up on the 49ers but I don't think it was really an option imo. Harbaugh likes control too much and I do think it was a leverage thing for them. That said I think he picked the right team. I'm sure a dome team might have been better but there really wasn't any in need of a qb that was in position to win. Denver has a solid defense and a good young wr core. It was the right fit....just like in Indy the playoffs weren't kind. Peyton didn't play terrible....certainly good enough to win...but for whatever reason that defense played its worst game of the season when it mattered most. Super Bowls are so tough to win....ask Tom Brady...annointed greatest ever after that 3rd but while he has improved dramatically as a qb...that next one hasn't come. Perhaps this year. I think both teams are poised to be right there and Houston too. I really think this year barring some injury we will see Peyton or Brady in the SB again..it just feels inevitable.

Who knows. Everyone wants to say it was stupid for Peyton to pass up on the 49ers but I don't think it was really an option imo. Harbaugh likes control too much and I do think it was a leverage thing for them. That said I think he picked the right team. I'm sure a dome team might have been better but there really wasn't any in need of a qb that was in position to win. Denver has a solid defense and a good young wr core. It was the right fit....just like in Indy the playoffs weren't kind. Peyton didn't play terrible....certainly good enough to win...but for whatever reason that defense played its worst game of the season when it mattered most. Super Bowls are so tough to win....ask Tom Brady...annointed greatest ever after that 3rd but while he has improved dramatically as a qb...that next one hasn't come. Perhaps this year. I think both teams are poised to be right there and Houston too. I really think this year barring some injury we will see Peyton or Brady in the SB again..it just feels inevitable.

Yeah, the AFC is finally getting competitive again. Denver is definitely stacked, as is New England, and they look great on paper. The Ravens I think took a step backward and there are other teams that are emerging...I hope to continue seeing new faces in the Super Bowl though lol. No fair to these elite QBs getting back there year after year haha. Give someone else a chance, Brady and Manning! And I personally don't like the Saints so I hope Brees never gets another ring, and I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers get another, though we all know how hard it is to compete in the NFC as well.

Yeah, the AFC is finally getting competitive again. Denver is definitely stacked, as is New England, and they look great on paper. The Ravens I think took a step backward and there are other teams that are emerging...I hope to continue seeing new faces in the Super Bowl though lol. No fair to these elite QBs getting back there year after year haha. Give someone else a chance, Brady and Manning! And I personally don't like the Saints so I hope Brees never gets another ring, and I guess I wouldn't mind seeing Rodgers get another, though we all know how hard it is to compete in the NFC as well.

See that's the thing. We don't get a lot of turnover at the top because you can ride elite qb play to the playoffs. That said it takes a complete team effort to win it all come playoff time. That's why Brady, Manning bros, Brees, Rodgers, Rothlisburger are all elite and put their team in position to win it all every year basically. I think Ryan, Flacco, Griffen, Luck, and Wilson will be the next crop to do so.

Kevin Vickerson stunned by Dumervil’s departure

Wow,” Vickerson said.

“Wow.”

“Wow.”

Finally the shock cleared.

“Elvis has been a big part of this football team,” Vickerson said. “I know business is business, but this is the part of business that sucks. I congratulate Elvis. At the same time those are big shoes to fill coming off the edge. Elvis was a great Bronco. That’s my guy. He’ll be missed. It’s time for other guys to step up. Robert Ayers, Malik Jackson. It’s time for No. 91 (Ayers) to step up. Robert Ayers is going to have a big year.’’

“This is unbelievable to me that we lost Elvis in this way,” Vickerson said. “I don’t know what happened but someone dropped the ball. When I talk to Elvis I’m going to congratulate him. But we’re going to miss him.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2013/03/24/kevin-vickerson-stunned-by-dumervils-departure/18997/

Dwight Freeney is the Broncos' first choice to replace Elvis Dumervil. Again, Freeney a Tom Condon client

9:17 PM - 24 Mar 13

And with Elvis Dumervil going to Baltimore, Denver figures to make a strong push for Dwight Freeney.

Broncos moving on trying to get Freeney signed.

I compared the core stats of Dumervil, Freeney, and Abraham at BroncoTalk last week. Freeney, 33, had 13.5 sacks over the last two seasons. Abraham, who will turn 35 soon, had 19.5 in that time span. I then .... ( LINK )   published a poll asking readers who they preferred.  Freeney fell third -- by far.

POLL RESULTS  FOLLOWS 

Which defensive end should the Broncos sign?

• John Abraham (56%, 515 Votes)

• Elvis Dumervil (36%, 332 Votes)

• Dwight Freeney (8%, 69 Votes)

Total Voters: 916

http://broncotalk.net/2013/03/45909/broncos-blog/comparing-dumervil-abraham-and-freeney/

After over a week of silence from Elvis Dumervil, the newBaltimore Ravens defensive end has spoken.

From Dumervil's verified Twitter account --

-

Can't say enough about the Broncos fans, my great teammates, equipment staff, training staff, media staff, Mr. Bowlen, Coach Fox, John Elway and the city of Denver. Its been an unforgettable 7 years. I am looking fwd to this next chapter of my career.

-

Short and, well, not all that sweet Mr. Dumervil. Ever heard of players taking out a full page ad in the local paper when they leave the town that loved them? You could do a lot more to make a classier exit for all the fans that cheered for you and wanted you back than a Twitter post.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/24/4143164/dumervil-comments-on-seven-years-in-denver

According to Steve Young, the niners were highly interested and he was dumbfounded as to why Peyton declined saying that perhaps it was due to Eli. There is no way the niners think Kap was better than having PM. If anything, they could have had Kaep sit behind him for a couple of years the way GB did with Rodgers/Favre.

In terms of the right fit, when Manning went to Denver it was a huge head scratcher. The team was 8-8 with Tebow and had been pretty pathetic the seasons before.

Now look at the niners. In the NFC champ and literally one decent QB away from the SB. While I agree Manning would have preferred a dome, San Fran is the next best thing considering the warm temps unlike frigid Denver which proved to really hurt Manning in the playoffs as the cold clearly got to his arm by the end of the game. Harbaugh is also a much better coach than John Fox and was just coming off of being named "coach of the year." Everything was lined up for Manning. I think had he played there last year, the niners might have went perfect. Just my opinion but they were that good and their QB carousel is what made them struggle to the extent that even did struggle.

According to Steve Young, the niners were highly interested and he was dumbfounded as to why Peyton declined saying that perhaps it was due to Eli. There is no way the niners think Kap was better than having PM. If anything, they could have had Kaep sit behind him for a couple of years the way GB did with Rodgers/Favre.

In terms of the right fit, when Manning went to Denver it was a huge head scratcher. The team was 8-8 with Tebow and had been pretty pathetic the seasons before.

Now look at the niners. In the NFC champ and literally one decent QB away from the SB. While I agree Manning would have preferred a dome, San Fran is the next best thing considering the warm temps unlike frigid Denver which proved to really hurt Manning in the playoffs as the cold clearly got to his arm by the end of the game. Harbaugh is also a much better coach than John Fox and was just coming off of being named "coach of the year." Everything was lined up for Manning. I think had he played there last year, the niners might have went perfect. Just my opinion but they were that good and their QB carousel is what made them struggle.

I think alot has to do with preferring,   ((  besides not meeting his brother more often , and perhaps not havinmg as much freedom that Harbourogh would allow  ))  living in the midwest

His wife is a very private person, I mean no one understood how they hid having twins in Indy, in San Fran much more media and dont think that's his wife's lifestyle, shes much more laid back,  This is hindsight reasoning 

I agree in San Fran the SB was much more a probability

I think alot has to do with preferring,   ((  besides not meeting his brother more often , and perhaps not havinmg as much freedom that Harbourogh would allow  ))  living in the midwest

His wife is a very private person, I mean no one understood how they hid having twins in Indy, in San Fran much more media and dont think that's his wife's lifestyle, shes much more laid back,  This is hindsight reasoning 

I agree in San Fran the SB was much more a probability

Good points. I would think that his wife probably wanted him to retire. Reminded me a lot of the Bruschi situation. Anytime you are dealing with the head or neck it is some scary stuff. I am glad that like Bruschi, Manning seems to be ok and his neck seems fine. Hopefully the nerves in his arm and hand come back more fullly this season.

Good points. I would think that his wife probably wanted him to retire. Reminded me a lot of the Bruschi situation. Anytime you are dealing with the head or neck it is some scary stuff. I am glad that like Bruschi, Manning seems to be ok and his neck seems fine. Hopefully the nerves in his arm and hand come back more fullly this season.

Bruschi was scary , and i also couldnt have cared if Peyton decided to hang it up and just play family man , I still of course enjoy his play but care more about his health than another ring, to me he had nothing to prove .

Even those in the best of health are 1 play away from a devastating injury

Meh, it's not really a concern. Primarily because at the beginning of FA things pointed toward getting a WR early in the draft. The Welker signing solved that. They don't need to spend a draftpick on a WR like they planned on in at the beginning. They addressed the other week point on O too (Kuper, Ramírez) by signing top guard Vazquez. So really, the Broncos were always gonna use their picks on the D, maybe a RB at some point (depends on Willis Mcgahee), so it doesn't really hurt them that much.

So either bringing in an unproven rookie DE or signing either a 33 or 34 DE to replace a stud 29 year old is not getting worse?

Trying to be realistic not optimistic freeney or Abe will fill in , no where as good as Doom however,, esp as not on artificail turf,

They will help tutor a rookie that Broncos will no doubt have to pick early, most likely 1st round but may wait pending level of confidence, also need a big RB

Lets say both the DE needed & wanted & Eddie Lacy at RB that even with hamtring issues u may be sold on are both available at 28, now u have to prioritize which

Point is draft flexibility is now compromised and an extra position needs to be filled that otherwise wouldnt of been and near the top yet 

U cant tell me thats not deleterious to the Team and did not make for a happy birthday present to peyton upon hearing the news yesterday

Everyone is overreacting. The Broncos will be fine. They sign either Freeney/Abraham to play on passing down and use their current crop along with a 1st or 2nd round DE from this draft (Carradine, Hunt etc) to play the run.

So either bringing in an unproven rookie DE or signing either a 33 or 34 DE to replace a stud 29 year old is not getting worse?

In the end, Dumervil was upset he was released. When he was able to get $8.5 million from Baltimore, he felt it was worth moving on.

Denver clearly wanted Dumervil back, but not at that price.

The word around the building in recent days was Denver was worried about overpaying Dumervil and was worried about having a potentially disgruntled player in the locker room.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/56536/predictable-ending-to-faxgate&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

The Ravens agreed to terms on a five-year, $35 million contract with Elvis Dumervil on Sunday,  including $12 million guaranteed.

The Ravens stumbled into getting Dumervil after his agent failed to fax in paperwork in time, which would have reduced his salary and kept him with the Broncos. Taking advantage of an unlikely mistake involving the Broncos -- like Rahim Moore misplaying Joe Flacco's last-minute touchdown bomb in the AFC divisional playoff game -- has become a trend for Baltimore.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/67762/ravens-rev-up-pass-rush-with-dumervil&ex_cid=MyESPNToday_Team

Ozzie Newsome pulls off major steal with Elvis Dumervil deal\

Baltimore Sun

Let's see, the Ravens get one of the best pass rushers in the league to replace Paul Kruger, who pulled off his own heist when he got the Cleveland Browns to pay him 40 million over five years

Dumervil's better than Paul Kruger. He comes cheaper (five years, $35 million) than Kruger would have. And  

the Ravens take only a $2.5 million cap hit.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/nonsense-sp-cowherd-ravens-0325-20130324,0,118349.column

After over a week of silence from Elvis Dumervil, the newBaltimore Ravens defensive end has spoken.

From Dumervil's verified Twitter account --

-

Can't say enough about the Broncos fans, my great teammates, equipment staff, training staff, media staff, Mr. Bowlen, Coach Fox, John Elway and the city of Denver. Its been an unforgettable 7 years. I am looking fwd to this next chapter of my career.

-

Short and, well, not all that sweet Mr. Dumervil. Ever heard of players taking out a full page ad in the local paper when they leave the town that loved them? You could do a lot more to make a classier exit for all the fans that cheered for you and wanted you back than a Twitter post.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/3/24/4143164/dumervil-comments-on-seven-years-in-denver

Unlike Dooms meager  goodbye tweet

Ed Reed takes out full-page ad in Baltimore Sun thanking Ravens fans

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21939691/ed-reed-takes-out-full-page-ad-in-baltimore-sun-thanking-ravens-fans

See this just reinstates in my mind Doom and the Agent were playing games with Denver all along. Oh my feelings are hurt.. you wouldnt pay me 12 Million.. boo freakity hoo Doom.  :drama:  :Cry:

He still ended up costing the Broncos and getting a big pay day. In the end, I think Denver will be better off with him gone. If thats all it takes to hurt his feelings.. imagine how he must feel not being the shinning defensive star and is behind Von Miller. And Miller is on a Rookie Contract. 

IDK who Denver should sign really. I'm partial to Freeney because he was a Colt, but his production has been down. Abraham is a better player right now i think. 

Now look at the niners. In the NFC champ and literally one decent QB away from the SB. While I agree Manning would have preferred a dome, San Fran is the next best thing considering the warm temps unlike frigid Denver which proved to really hurt Manning in the playoffs as the cold clearly got to his arm by the end of the game. Harbaugh is also a much better coach than John Fox and was just coming off of being named "coach of the year." Everything was lined up for Manning. I think had he played there last year, the niners might have went perfect. Just my opinion but they were that good and their QB carousel is what made them struggle to the extent that even did struggle.

I think Peyton more than anything wanted a comfortable environment that was condusive to him healing and being patient with his process. Elway sold him on Denver. Peyton saw what he did at the end of his career and would love to mimic that. Harbaugh I don't think is the kinda coach that Peyton really relates with. He has pretty much played for mellow coaches. Ones that defer to him. I mean him and Mora didn't get along well at all so coach Fox and Elway I think along with the suburb lifestlye that Denver has was plenty appealing for him. Denver had no qb....none. Everyone knows Tebow was gone...out. Denver was a much better team than people give them credit. They had a great OL, good running game, better receivers than SF, and a solid if not as good defense as SF...statistically.

More than anything...it was Elway...he was the game changer. Peyton I think was unsure of his career...and Elway let him believe that their organization was going to do right by Peyton and give him every chance to succeed. If Elway wasn't there...the deal never gets done.

Unlike Dooms meager  goodbye tweet

Ed Reed takes out full-page ad in Baltimore Sun thanking Ravens fans

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/eye-on-football/21939691/ed-reed-takes-out-full-page-ad-in-baltimore-sun-thanking-ravens-fans

I can't wait to see the rest of Ozzie's master plan come together. Great D line with Canty, Spears, and Dumervil. Ngata and Suggs back at full strength. Webb also back. 12 draft picks and more bargain basement free agents to fill in at inside linebacker and safety. Boldin will be replaced also. The Ravens aren't signing the old guys like the Steelers and Giants have after their Super Bowl wins. The Ravens followed this path in 2001, and by 2002, they were releasing players left and right, and suffered for a few years. Some hard decisions on some great vets who will always be heroes in Baltimore, but like Ed Reed said, it is a business. No one understands that business better than Ozzie.  

I can't wait to see the rest of Ozzie's master plan come together. Great D line with Canty, Spears, and Dumervil. Ngata and Suggs back at full strength. Webb also back. 12 draft picks and more bargain basement free agents to fill in at inside linebacker and safety. Boldin will be replaced also. The Ravens aren't signing the old guys like the Steelers and Giants have after their Super Bowl wins. The Ravens followed this path in 2001, and by 2002, they were releasing players left and right, and suffered for a few years. Some hard decisions on some great vets who will always be heroes in Baltimore, but like Ed Reed said, it is a business. No one understands that business better than Ozzie.  

Ozzie is usually good,  This hinders Demnvers Draft flexibility