Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walden / Sidbury : How They Fit

atapcl

Erik Walden fits as a strong side outside linebacker he has good coverage skills and sets the edge well against the run. He is like Kruger was for Baltimore. He will not be handed the starting job. He will compete with Hughes. Hughes needs to improve in his coverage skills but could be tough competition for Walden.

Sidbury is an athlete similar to Terrell Suggs and considered more of a pass rusher. Sidbury should backup Mathis as the rush linebacker this year and next, with the idea that he eventually replaces Mathis.

Erik Walden fits as a strong side outside linebacker he has good coverage skills and sets the edge well against the run. He is like Kruger was for Baltimore. He will not be handed the starting job. He will compete with Hughes. Hughes needs to improve in his coverage skills but could be tough competition for Walden.

Sidbury is an athlete similar to Terrell Suggs and considered more of a pass rusher. Sidbury should backup Mathis as the rush linebacker this year and next, with the idea that he eventually replaces Mathis.

Did you copy and paste my analysis and start a thread?  :)  Just kidding....I agree with this assessment...have said the same thing...:)

It's very early but personally I think Sidbury will be behind Walden at SAM and Hughes will be behind Mathis at Rush LB. 

I think we will be pleasantly surprised once Pagano turns the boys loose...yes I said Pagano instead of Manusky :)

I loved some of Sidbury's spin moves on video...feeling him as a pass rusher....just see Hughes as so much better on the left.

Like you said...way early...just our feelings at this point as you say.

When I see these guys...the words untapped and resources come to mind...... :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:

Wasnt trying to be a turd just remembered it.It was a couple of years ago hit his girlfriend allegedly or something was just wondering.

Ahh, well I think playing for our classy franchise could be a new start for him if people are still holding that over him or something

Wasnt trying to be a turd just remembered it.It was a couple of years ago hit his girlfriend allegedly or something was just wondering.

I know they had to put him the tank over a weekend because it was a holiday. Domestic abuse. Never heard his side of the story.

I'm not making excuses for him because that's deplorable. But the Packers usually don't tolerate that kind of stuff, and yet they kept him.

Bottom line, I really don't know what happened, but it should be brought out and hopefully he owned it.

Just finished watching the Forty Niners defeat the Packers in this past years playoffs. Erick Walden did not look like he was holding the edge well against Kaepernik.

Nobody did....did they?  They have not figured the Zone Read out yet...:)  YET!!!

Nobody did....did they?  They have not figured the Zone Read out yet... :)  YET!!!

You could be right. He was playing the strong side while Clay was playing rush lb. I have not been impressed with GB's defense at all the last few years. Their offense won their recent SB.

I watched all the videos on nfl.com win which Walden was involved through a sack, interception or fumble recovery and here is what I saw: Pagano is right, he does hold the edge well, he does not over pursue, he knows how to come off the block and make a tackle on the running back or on the QB if the QB decides to scramble. He's got a very good speed and he does hassle, I did not see him stop until the play was over. I think he is pretty game smart despite of what they said of him with 10 on wonderlink and all that.

However, I don't think he's got a good array of moves to bit the tackle a la Freeney or other good pass rushers.  

I think we are in for a very nice surprise if Colts use him in the role they said they will use him, that of strong side OLB.

Do you think he could play SSISLB as opposed to outside? If he could play next to Freeman and be our Ray Lewis it would make our defense stout against the run.

I watched all the videos on nfl.com win which Walden was involved through a sack, interception or fumble recovery and here is what I saw: Pagano is right, he does hold the edge well, he does not over pursue, he knows how to come off the block and make a tackle on the running back or on the QB if the QB decides to scramble. He's got a very good speed and he does hassle, I did not see him stop until the play was over. I think he is pretty game smart despite of what they said of him with 10 on wonderlink and all that.

However, I don't think he's got a good array of moves to bit the tackle a la Freeney or other good pass rushers.  

I think we are in for a very nice surprise if Colts use him in the role they said they will use him, that of strong side OLB.

Several fans have been unhappy with Walden's signing, believing the Colts overpaid.  Here's a breakdown by Paul Kuharsky on the deal which makes it look as if the Colts really didn't invest that much in signing him. 

Erik Walden's deal’s been the eyebrow-raiser so far in the AFC South.

ind.gifThe initial report on the value of the deal was from Packers beat man Bob McGinn, who said it was four years, $14 million. McGinn said Walden indicated interest from the Chiefs and the Raiders gave him some leverage in negotiations with the Colts.

Still, a friend who watches the Packers closely saw those numbers and judged them to be “outrageous.”

Now we can break down the deal.

Walden got a $1 million signing bonus and his deal includes a total of $8 million guaranteed -- the bonus, a $3 million base this season and a $4 million base in 2014. The contract also includes base salaries of $4 million in 2015 and 2016.

So his cap number is $3.25 million this season, and $4.25 million for 2014, 2015, and 2016.

Effectively, it could be a two-year, $8 million contract.

It still seems high for a guy who’s been a backup so far in his career.

But if he’s a bust it’s hardly a back-breaking contract for a team that has a lot of cap room. Before seeing detailed breakdowns on safety LaRon Landry and defensive lineman Ricky Jean Francois, the Colts have only four cap numbers north of $5 million in 2014.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth

You could be right. He was playing the strong side while Clay was playing rush lb. I have not been impressed with GB's defense at all the last few years. Their offense won their recent SB.

And as we know...I may be wrong too....comes with the posts :)  You are correct sometimes and miss sometimes.  

My thought is the fun that these guys have in the "Raven Defense' will bring them to the top of their games (See Freeman, Guy, Heard, Geathers)  All of these guys came in and contributed...Butler too when he was ready to fly out of the league.

Not you atapci, but some folks on this forum see a name and give up.  I say every single time....put the  :censored2: pads on and play!  We have GREAT teachers on this staff!   :lecture: :)