Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

andrew should just say hes elite

CR91

Shredded? More like threw a bunch of hail maries and hoped and prayed someone would catch them... Kind of like what he did to us. That's not elite, that's his receivers making him look good and bailing him out.

Yep I kept calling them miracle bombs. However, he still created for himself by avoiding tackles then miracle bombing passes down field to his recievers who made phenomenal catches.

Flacco is not field general like Manning, Brady, or Brees. But I would say Flacco is elite at this point. Not because he's a SB champion but because he played extremely well this season and even better in the playoffs. Last year I would've laughed at the notion of Flacco being considered elite but things change. Lets see how long plays at an elite level.

My top 5 QBs in no order

Manning

Brady

Brees

Rodgers

Flacco

....And another 5 to make top 10

Luck

Wilson

Eli

Ryan

Romo

#11 nominations to RG3, Stafford, Schaub

Shredded? More like threw a bunch of hail maries and hoped and prayed someone would catch them... Kind of like what he did to us. That's not elite, that's his receivers making him look good and bailing him out.

I think he was throwing deep because he saw that his WRs were beating their man. What you described only happens in the final moments of a close game. Flacco was hitting his receivers in stride. Huge difference.

Hitting them in stride? Which qb were you watching?

Joe Flacco, why?

Do you really think he was throwing up miracle bombs early in the 1st half with a lead?

The fact is his receivers were getting open, Joe was stepping away from pressure, and throwing accurate deep passes.

Joe Flacco, why?

Do you really think he was throwing up miracle bombs early in the 1st half with a lead?

The fact is his receivers were getting open, Joe was stepping away from pressure, and throwing accurate deep passes.

For the most part. The touchdown to Boldin was a great throw and catch. But he got away with a very low percentage attempt on the third and long that he threw up. And he gets a couple of those a game. Still, he was absolutely great yesterday, with very little exception.

Flacco played well this past postseason but he is still not elite. At this rate, with the way social media slaps labels, in about 5 years we'll have like 10 elite quarterbacks...and when everyone is elite...

If you ask John Clayton, there are as many as 13 elite quarterbacks in the NFL, and that has included Joe Flacco for at least the past two seasons.

As you can tell, I think that's ridiculous. Not just the inclusion of Flacco, but specifically including almost half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL in the "elite" category. That word means "the best of a group or category." To me, there are four guys that are above the rest: Brady, Brees, P. Manning and Rodgers (alphabetical order ;)). They are the "elite" to me.

Then Group 2, in whatever order you want, there's Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Ryan, Flacco (after this year's playoffs). I want to include the young guys in this category, but I think there's still a separation for now, so my third category specifically is made up of young players that don't have a long enough resume, but appear to be well on their way: Luck, Griffin, Wilson and Kaepernick, in whatever order. I'd take all those young guys in Group 3 ahead of anyone else on this list, even the next group of good veterans.

Group 4 is Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo, Stafford, and Vick, all veterans with large bodies of work, and they are good, but haven't proven to be really good, or have consistently come up short. Their teams sometimes win because they play their role well, not because of them. Or if the team does rely on them in big situations, they prove to be limited. Two months ago, Flacco was here.

Group 5 is Bradford, Newton and Freeman, young guys with tons of promise and potential, but still haven't really put it together. Group 6 is limited young guys: Locker, Ponder, Sanchez, Dalton, Gabbert, Foles. Group 7 is limited veterans: Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Cassel, Kolb, Smith. Group 8 is young guys that I'm very unsure about: Tannehill, Weeden. Group 9 is fringe guys and backups.

Anyways, I think "elite" is, by definition, very exclusive. It should be restricted to the very best of the best, and to me, there's a clear separation between the top four and everyone else. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take any of those other guys, especially in Groups 2 and 3.

If you ask John Clayton, there are as many as 13 elite quarterbacks in the NFL, and that has included Joe Flacco for at least the past two seasons.

As you can tell, I think that's ridiculous. Not just the inclusion of Flacco, but specifically including almost half the starting quarterbacks in the NFL in the "elite" category. That word means "the best of a group or category." To me, there are four guys that are above the rest: Brady, Brees, P. Manning and Rodgers (alphabetical order ;)). They are the "elite" to me.

Then Group 2, in whatever order you want, there's Roethlisberger, Eli Manning, Ryan, Flacco (after this year's playoffs). I want to include the young guys in this category, but I think there's still a separation for now, so my third category specifically is made up of young players that don't have a long enough resume, but appear to be well on their way: Luck, Griffin, Wilson and Kaepernick, in whatever order. I'd take all those young guys in Group 3 ahead of anyone else on this list, even the next group of good veterans.

Group 4 is Schaub, Rivers, Cutler, Romo, Stafford, and Vick, all veterans with large bodies of work, and they are good, but haven't proven to be really good, or have consistently come up short. Group 5 is Bradford, Newton and Freeman, young guys with tons of promise and potential, but still haven't really put it together. Group 6 is limited young guys: Locker, Ponder, Sanchez, Dalton, Gabbert, Foles. Group 7 is limited veterans: Palmer, Fitzpatrick, Cassel, Kolb, Smith. Group 8 is young guys that I'm very unsure about: Tannehill, Weeden. Group 9 is fringe guys and backups.

Anyways, I think "elite" is, by definition, very exclusive. It should be restricted to the very best of the best, and to me, there's a clear separation between the top four and everyone else. Doesn't mean I wouldn't take any of those other guys, especially in Groups 2 and 3.

I agree with your QB hierarchy whole-heartedly. That's a great way to separate them and you have each guy in exactly the right group. The idea that there are already 13 QBs is indeed absurd. That word is used way too much. There are only 4 that are the cream of the crop right now. When Brady and Manning retire around 5 years from now, there may be new guys ready to take up the mantle, or there may not, and maybe Brees and Rodgers will still be the only two. The only guys I can even see realistically competing for the elite label (aside from this year's rookies) would be Eli, Flacco, and Ryan. Other than that...no one else screams elite yet. Who knows though. Maybe I'll think back on this post five years from now and say,  " Boy was I wrong!" lol.

I agree with your QB hierarchy whole-heartedly. That's a great way to separate them and you have each guy in exactly the right group. The idea that there are already 13 QBs is indeed absurd. That word is used way too much. There are only 4 that are the cream of the crop right now. When Brady and Manning retire around 5 years from now, there may be new guys ready to take up the mantle, or there may not, and maybe Brees and Rodgers will still be the only two. The only guys I can even see realistically competing for the elite label (aside from this year's rookies) would be Eli, Flacco, and Ryan. Other than that...no one else screams elite yet. Who knows though. Maybe I'll think back on this post five years from now and say,  " Boy was I wrong!" lol.

I edited it a little, but didn't move anyone.

And yeah, this changes all the time. That top level not so much; Aaron Rodgers has been there for a couple years now, and Manning had to play his way back in this season, but that's about it. Very little change, and that's why it's "elite." Group 3 didn't exist a year ago, and if it did, it was just Newton. Now he's not even in it.

Matt Ryan was very good this season, the absolute catalyst for his team, but he has to play at that level or above for a couple more years to be considered "elite." And he probably needs to win a Super Bowl. Roethlisberger is knocking on the door pretty emphatically, but he's just not quite there. Eli is too up and down.

• 2 weeks later...