Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How Important Is The Qb Position...really?

StaticColt77

Ok first off, like most of you, I watched all of the game today. It was a disaster.

While watching the game I was visiting numerous sites for Football updates, and also reading a lot of Twitter updates.

The same people that are saying rings make a QB, and treat them like they're not a TEAM achievement. Are the same ones saying Peyton is only one player not the team and the Colts would've gotten blown out anyways.... WHAT!!?? Double standards much?? -_- But Belicheck, and the Steelers D are always the last to get credit

They're saying that Manning doesn't play defense or special teams, which is true, but this is never bought up in the post-season, Superbowl arguments, QB arguments. Where they imply his 9-10 post-seson record solely falls on him. But when he's out of a game, then the team gets the blame and the QB position is suddenly not of importance??

Ok now, enough about that.

We played so bad, that I think even with Manning we would've lost, Manning is indeed only one guy, but a very unique one at that. There is no way we go 1-9 on 3rd with a healthy Manning against a Texans team that he has a great history against. Yes they run a 3-4 now, but Manning has gone against teams that have ran the 3-4 a lot more effectively, and have A LOT more experience playing in it. Also 2 fumbles within our 20 is not something we usually see Peyton do.

People are completely forgetting Peyton's pre-snap routine, and how he can spot blitzes and rushes and give the line an assignment that is issued from him to Saturday. While the line was horrible today, I'm sure there are things that Manning would've seen that Collins didn't. The chemistry between Collins and are receivers still has to develop, heck, the chemistry between him and Saturday/O-line need to develop. Remember, for most if not all these guys, it's their first time they are playing without 18, and no one knows those receivers better than Manning and no one knows Manning better than those receivers. They need some time, and they'll be a lot better than today as the season goes on.

I do feel there were a few times where Collins actually had acceptable pass blocking, it wasn't most of the time, but at least enough to make plays off of. We couldn't stay on the field, which tired out the D EARLY, and those turnovers were just unfair to the D. Collins is a statue in the pocket compared to Manning, as his pocket presence/mobility isn't exactly as prominent as Manning who pounces frantically in the pocket. Enough to avoid a few sacks. But panic not Colts fans, we can still achieve some success without our best player. This game wasn't Collins fault, the D's fault, or the ST's fault. It was the team, plain and simple. Do I believe we win this game with Peyton? No, there are so many issues we have to address, he covers up some of them but not all.

A loss is a loss, but I strongly disagree with those that have said we would lose 34-7 against the Texans with 18 under center... do they really think 18 doesn't make a difference?

The only thing I disagree with is us losing with 18 in there. You are correct...Peyton would not have fumbled two times to give them the ball in the redzone. The oline, while still isn't anything to be proud of, I thought was improved from last year. Peyton has such a tremendous pocket awareness and internal clock that he would have made all the difference. The running game even looked a little better. There was some life to it. With Big P we would have found a way to win this one.

Look at it this way...after the Bullit pick, Peyton could probably scores a quick touchdown and we're up 7-0. Instead, we let them pound it down our throats, and hand them the ball in the redzone twice. Bang, bang, bang, we're down 17-0. The defense is demoralized, and the offense finally realizes that their quarterback went from the GOAT, to a statue, with no pocket awareness, and fingers of butter....but hey he can throw far.

The only thing I disagree with is us losing with 18 in there. You are correct...Peyton would not have fumbled two times to give them the ball in the redzone. The oline, while still isn't anything to be proud of, I thought was improved from last year. Peyton has such a tremendous pocket awareness and internal clock that he would have made all the difference. The running game even looked a little better. There was some life to it. With Big P we would have found a way to win this one.

Look at it this way...after the Bullit pick, Peyton could probably scores a quick touchdown and we're up 7-0. Instead, we let them pound it down our throats, and hand them the ball in the redzone twice. Bang, bang, bang, we're down 17-0. The defense is demoralized, and the offense finally realizes that their quarterback went from the GOAT, to a statue, with no pocket awareness, and fingers of butter....but hey he can throw far.

Manning would've made the game close for sure, but to say we would've won had he been playing is a stretch.

There are just some aspects of the game, that he cannot control. But he can influence them, the team was just bad today.

The Texans haven't been push overs since 2006, they're always a tough opponent.

True Collins is a little slower to get the ball off, but even last year, the Texans destroyed Manning in the pocket. Especially after he threw the ball.