Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Question of the Day - 12/05

sb41champs

You'd have to consider him if the season continues the way that it has, but it's complicated. Coach of the year, but he wasn't the head coach who worked with the GM on building the team, or who put the system in place, or who ran off-season activities, or the early season games. I'd say that you could only do this if you voted him together with Pagano as kind of a joint entrant, otherwise you are kind of slapping the face of the guy that the entire team is "winning for" in the first place. That would be cruelly ironic.

You'd have to consider him if the season continues the way that it has, but it's complicated. Coach of the year, but he wasn't the head coach who worked with the GM on building the team, or who put the system in place, or who ran off-season activities, or the early season games. I'd say that you could only do this if you voted him together with Pagano as kind of a joint entrant, otherwise you are kind of slapping the face of the guy that the entire team is "winning for" in the first place. That would be cruelly ironic.

I have heard some of the talking heads on ESPN and pregame type programming say this exact thing. That if it were to happen that both coaches would be recognized with the honor. I for one think they both deserve it. From what Coach Pagano started on day one, to his illness being a major driving force with this team, to Coach Arians stepping in, pulling double duty, and helping keep this team focused and most importantly winning. Even though Pagano hasn't been around much in person his spirit is driving this team. They both should win and IMO it shouldn't even be a close vote.

If we make the playoffs, I think it's hands down that Arians wins, given the circumstances. But, having co-coach of the year with Pagano makes sense, too. Arians has been on the field, but I know Pagano's been doing a lot of coaching and encouraging via text messages and phone calls.

:disco: 20 DAYS UNTIL COLTSMAS !! :disco:

Various media members - both local and national - have expressed the opinion that Interim Head Coach Bruce Arians should be part of the conversation for NFL Coach of the Year !! Your opinion please ......

No..he isnt really the coach..Pagano is...and Pagano certainly has inspired the team..

No knock on Arians...but you have to coach the whole season...and actually be the head coach

YES

Not only was this team 2-14 last year but it suffered losing their head coach to cancer three games in. That would destroy most teams in the NFL. The Colts have done the exact reverse they have rallied and look like they are headed to the playoffs. Short of an undefeated season this awards traditionally goes to the coach of a team whose team has had the biggest turn around from the previous season. Right now that's the Colts.

I often wondered is the NFL Coach of the Year based on the biggest turnaround from last season or the ability to keep winning games week after week month after month?

There is a huge difference between these 2 questions: Is it a question of consistency or the degree of adversity that a team has overcome?

And, with the exception of ProBowl selections, how came NFL players, both past & present, never get to vote in categories like this one?

The press in sports has way too much power & influence here IMHO.